In state recruiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In state recruiting

Just gonna point this out. We often talk about instate kids...on rivals today they have some of the top kids from each state...
    Georgia has a top 100
    Florida a top 70
    Ohio a top 35
    Kentucky has a top 10.....and two have verballed out of state....one to Notre Dame, one to Michigan.
    Just not as many kids.
    And noticing Purdue took half the crop this year after a full year of UK and Louisville questioning the abilities of their coaching staffs, and playing Brohm up as the next real deal, I wonder if the chatter on message boards and social media has more of an effect than I imagined.

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
    Just gonna point this out. We often talk about instate kids...on rivals today they have some of the top kids from each state...
    Georgia has a top 100
    Florida a top 70
    Ohio a top 35
    Kentucky has a top 10.....and two have verballed out of state....one to Notre Dame, one to Michigan.
    Just not as many kids.
    And noticing Purdue took half the crop this year after a full year of UK and Louisville questioning the abilities of their coaching staffs, and playing Brohm up as the next real deal, I wonder if the chatter on message boards and social media has more of an effect than I imagined.
    I think kids that grow up here are more aware of the corrosive cynical attitude that sometimes pervades the fan base. I’m sure they grow up hearing the self deprecating jokes like, “That’s so KY football”.

I also think Brohm has a lot of credibility with ky high school coaches given his time and success in the state.
    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Southern Cal, Oklahoma and others regularly lose good high school talent to schools like Kentucky...in basketball, for the same reasons that a lot of the best in-state Kentucky high school football players have an interest in those same schools.

Comment

The State of Kentucky rarely has a top basketball talent and if one emerges, he most likely comes out of the Ville area. Great D1 football players come around occasionally. Kentucky is not a very highly populated state. It only has one major city and fewer smaller cities, with Lexington being the largest of the smaller ones. That is the reason that there is not that much D1 talent coming out of the state. Because there are so few, if Kentucky doesn't snatch them all of them up or at least the best one or two, the fan base grumbles that the in state recruiting is poor and wonders why those young men don't stay in state. Because the numbers are so thin, a program can't hitch their wagon to a kid who may or may not come and save a spot for him at the last hour of the signing period. There are a few exceptions for the cant miss players. Personally, I would rather have a kid tell me he is going out of state from the get go, than act like he is staying in state and just keeping his choice hidden to please the locals, until signing day. If a kid goes to Bama instead of staying home, and he is more than likely to get PT, what would we expect him to do?

If UK was located in a city like Memphis and they didn't pull in the lion share of the top kids, then I would be very worried. The state just doesn't have enough numbers to fret about not getting them, if they decide to gout out of state. Simple as that. Of course they are always looking for the next Tim Couch or Damien Harris, but if they are not can't miss guys, move on if they are solid players but iffy commits then they should just keep fishing in bigger ponds.
        Last edited by boomdaddy; 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

It's interesting that this thread should come to life at this time.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...201512569.html
          Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Nice, timely catch, Matt.

Both Kentucky and Louisville have had their best years when they have had a good group of in state kids to build on.

Kentucky's best years under Rich Brooks were with Andre Woodson, Keenan Burton, Jacob Tamme, Garry Williams, Zipp Duncan, Christian Johnson and Justin Jeffries starting on offense and Myron Pryor, Corey Peters, Paul Warford, Marcus McClinton and Micah Johnson starting on defense.

Louisville's 11-1, 9-3, 12-1 run, 2004-2006, was due to Brian Brohm and Michael Bush more than anyone else, with the Leffew brothers, Eric Shelton, Sergio Spencer, Mario Urrutria, Montrell Jones, Earl Heyman, Scott Kuhn, and other Kentucky kids playing significant to big parts.

Each of those teams had important players from out of state, and they'll always have to do that. But an unusual infusion of in state talent is a huge boost to either program, when it happens.

Comment

Some years there are more D1 prospects in the state than other years. If this is one of those years, I am sure the Kentucky will get its fair share of them.

Comment

Old School writes: "Louisville's 11-1, 9-3, 12-1 run, 2004-2006, was due to Brian Brohm and Michael Bush more than anyone else, with the Leffew brothers, Eric Shelton, Sergio Spencer, Mario Urrutria, Montrell Jones, Earl Heyman, Scott Kuhn, and other Kentucky kids playing significant to big parts."

This is very true. And, on a related side-note, I have long maintained that UofL's rise in football was somewhat the result of a perfect storm. On the one hand, there was an almost unusual degree of exceptional football talent in the state of Kentucky -- Bush, Shelton, Urrutria and Jones, among others -- AND -- UK was on probation. As a result, UofL had a definite recruiting advantage at that point in time, and they took advantage of it. Montrell Jones, for example, actually committed to UK first. And, while on an official visit on a very cold day, he was given a pair of gloves which he never returned. Very innocent event, one would think. But, the NCAA ruled that to be an impermissable benefit, and we lost Jones to UT. Because of the probabtion, Bush never seriously considered UK. Shelton, who was from Lexington, originally went to FSU. When that did not work out and he wanted to come home, our probation made UofL the logical landing spot for him.

That is not to say UofL would not have gotten their share of the bumper crop of kentucky kids, because they would have. Brohm, for example, was their's all the way. But our probation could not have come at a worse time for us, or a better time for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
                  Old School writes: "Louisville's 11-1, 9-3, 12-1 run, 2004-2006, was due to Brian Brohm and Michael Bush more than anyone else, with the Leffew brothers, Eric Shelton, Sergio Spencer, Mario Urrutria, Montrell Jones, Earl Heyman, Scott Kuhn, and other Kentucky kids playing significant to big parts."

This is very true. And, on a related side-note, I have long maintained that UofL's rise in football was somewhat the result of a perfect storm. On the one hand, there was an almost unusual degree of exceptional football talent in the state of Kentucky -- Bush, Shelton, Urrutria and Jones, among others -- AND -- UK was on probation. As a result, UofL had a definite recruiting advantage at that point in time, and they took advantage of it. Montrell Jones, for example, actually committed to UK first. And, while on an official visit on a very cold day, he was given a pair of gloves which he never returned. Very innocent event, one would think. But, the NCAA ruled that to be an impermissable benefit, and we lost Jones to UT. Because of the probabtion, Bush never seriously considered UK. Shelton, who was from Lexington, originally went to FSU. When that did not work out and he wanted to come home, our probation made UofL the logical landing spot for him.

That is not to say UofL would not have gotten their share of the bumper crop of kentucky kids, because they would have. Brohm, for example, was their's all the way. But our probation could not have come at a worse time for us, or a better time for them.
                  Good history there.

It still fascinates me to wonder how things could've been if UK had brought in Mumme but required him to hire seasoned and responsible coaches as DC and recruiting coordinator, and ponied up the money to allow for some really good hires in those spots. Imagine, for instance, if C.M. Newton had wised up a year early and fired Curry after the 1995 season, brought in Mumme to work with incoming freshman QB Tim Couch for the 1996 season, and done some serious work to build a staff. Instead of Kansas State's co-DC leaving there for Florida, UK ponies up the money to hire Bob Stoops first. Instead of Rodney Garner leaving Auburn for Tennessee, he's hired away to Kentucky.
                  Yeah, I know, there's no way Newton would've seen clear to do that, or spend the money. And, yeah, if he was going to pony up for serious assistants, the time to do it was when he hired Curry away from Alabama. Still, if Mumme had been paired with a more high caliber group of assistants, who knows what could've happened with his then-extremely effective offense, Couch, Dennis Johnson, and who knows who an ace recruiter could've landed if given the resources.

Comment

If UK could have a talent like Couch on the team they have now, it would be a sight to see. Mumme was damn lucky to have Couch. Mumme was not HC material. Besides hiring a no talent DC, his greatest sin was overloading the team with receivers and stealingplayers form the D side of the ball. He made football exciting at kentucky when he was here, bit he never could have gotten further than he did, because he did not know how to be a HC.

Comment

In state recruiting

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X