Nick Scalzo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Scalzo

Being reported that Nick Scalzo has committed to UK.

Here's a link to Ben Roberts' write-up.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...211135754.html
    Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Is he a kid who is picking up some steam and interest? I don't follow football recruiting like I do with basketball. One of the first things I look at with a football recruit is their offer sheet. I have to say his really isn't that impressive, so why are so many boards, KSR, writers, etc making this commitment such a big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post
        Is he a kid who is picking up some steam and interest? I don't follow football recruiting like I do with basketball. One of the first things I look at with a football recruit is their offer sheet. I have to say his really isn't that impressive, so why are so many boards, KSR, writers, etc making this commitment such a big deal?
        Easy to understand your concern. I am too. On the one hand this guy is a big time winner from south Florida. Does great in camps. Is deadly accurate. Gran and Hinshaw REALLY like this guy. Just a very, very good high school QB. On the other hand, how will this translate to SEC ball? He's small, and I mean small. Don't find many players at any position with his size in the SEC. There's a reason why his offer sheet is unimpressive, but maybe that changes, I don't know. I say let's put the full court press on Bazelak from Ohio and let them settle this on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post

Easy to understand your concern. I am too. On the one hand this guy is a big time winner from south Florida. Does great in camps. Is deadly accurate. Gran and Hinshaw REALLY like this guy. Just a very, very good high school QB. On the other hand, how will this translate to SEC ball? He's small, and I mean small. Don't find many players at any position with his size in the SEC. There's a reason why his offer sheet is unimpressive, but maybe that changes, I don't know. I say let's put the full court press on Bazelak from Ohio and let them settle this on the field.
          There's no denying his production. And, I certainly don't meant to sound negative. Especially with him being considered dual threat would he be able to go through an entire SEC season with his size? I know, I know, Randall Cobb. You just don't see many QBs at 5'11 playing a high level in college. I just am curious to hear from our recruiting gurus about the kid. The good thing is he will, at least by the current theory, have a minimum of two years to grow and develop before he's expected to see the field. He'll come in with a Junior Wilson and Hoak and RS soph Clark in front of him.

Comment

I've read what analysts have said about this young man, and then I watched his videos. You are right Uncle Dave, he is deadly accurate and I watched him make impressive back shoulder throws. He throws with touch on the run. He's athletic and mobile enough to escape the pocket and extend plays. The only reason everyone isn't after him is his height. This may change. I can see why Gran and Hinshaw really like him. I suspect this kid will give anyone a run for their money at QB, I agree again Uncle Dave, let them settle it on the field.

Comment

He's 5-11 which will scare off a BUNCH of teams from the get go. This kid is a really good QB AND a really good leader and has the requisite arm talent and footwork. He's just short.

From one short guy to another, I like him a lot.

Comment

Fran Tarkenton (6'), Sonny Jurgensen (5'11") and Eddie LeBaron (5'7") were all pretty fair NFL QB's. Now I realize that NFL linemen weren't as big as they are now, but they were still quite a bit bigger than the three aforementioned QB's. Being 6' tall didn't keep Johnny Manziel from being a pretty good SEC QB either.

Comment

As to his weight, that's a maturation/ red shirt at the training table deal.

Running the rpo his height doesn't concern me as much as he would in a pro set.

I've kind of reached the point where that intangible thing...dedication and leadership....which doesn't get stars...means a whole lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
                    Fran Tarkenton (6'), Sonny Jurgensen (5'11") and Eddie LeBaron (5'7") were all pretty fair NFL QB's. Now I realize that NFL linemen weren't as big as they are now, but they were still quite a bit bigger than the three aforementioned QB's. Being 6' tall didn't keep Johnny Manziel from being a pretty good SEC QB either.
                    I saw the KSR headline that people were comparing him to Mayfield. So, he's either good enough to be a walk on or good enough to win the Heisman... I know that neither is what they were saying, but I really don't like it when people compare a high school kid to an All-American talent. I know that's not what you were doing, but your mention of Johnny Football made me think of the KSR article, and I'm just not a fan of theirs.

But, his height really isn't my main concern. Running the RPO gets him out of the pocket and eliminates a lot of the issues he could have behind linemen seven inches taller. My main concern/question was about his offer sheet and why there's been so much buzz with his less than stellar offers.

Comment

I saw the KSR headline that people were comparing him to Mayfield. So, he's either good enough to be a walk on or good enough to win the Heisman... I know that neither is what they were saying, but I really don't like it when people compare a high school kid to an All-American talent. I know that's not what you were doing, but your mention of Johnny Football made me think of the KSR article, and I'm just not a fan of theirs.

But, his height really isn't my main concern. Running the RPO gets him out of the pocket and eliminates a lot of the issues he could have behind linemen seven inches taller. My main concern/question was about his offer sheet and why there's been so much buzz with his less than stellar offers.
                      That's a real good point. It's odd because usually a three star QB especially from Florida would generate some P5 heat. I think coaches have fallen all over the big OR bigger quarterback type for durability if nothing else.

Comment

Like Uncle Dave said. Let's get the kid from Ohio and let them work it out on the field.
                        John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                          Like Uncle Dave said. Let's get the kid from Ohio and let them work it out on the field.
                          I'm posting a link to an interview SEC Country's Joe Mussatto. I like what I read. One thing I found to be interesting is that Scalzo doesn't feel as if UK is going to try to sign another QB from the 2019 class.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/...commit-profile

Comment

...My main concern/question was about his offer sheet and why there's been so much buzz with his less than stellar offers.
                            Which is yet another parallel to Mayfield which you are reluctant to concede.

No one is sanely pontificating that Scalzo is Mayfield. OTOH, there are many parallels in their careers to this date. Whether Scalzo is productive in college remains to be seen but he certainly exhibits many of the qualities that a HS Senior to be Mayfield had at this point in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by RV View Post

Which is yet another parallel to Mayfield which you are reluctant to concede.

No one is sanely pontificating that Scalzo is Mayfield. OTOH, there are many parallels in their careers to this date. Whether Scalzo is productive in college remains to be seen but he certainly exhibits many of the qualities that a HS Senior to be Mayfield had at this point in his career.
                              I guess I'm reluctant to concede because it doesn't really make sense to compare him to Mayfield. Especially if the main points of comparison are undersized, confident, and a relatively small offer sheet. For every Mayfield there's 1000 high school QBs who fit that mold who didn't go on to become a Power 5 starting QB, let alone a Heisman winner. I hope the kid stays committed and turns out to be a star, I just question the extremely optimistic, hype building, fingers crossed comparisons that were probably blown up by media outlets searching for clicks. It's kind of like comparing Luke Falk to Tom Brady because they're both QBs who were drafted with the 199th pick in the draft and they're both 6'4.
                              ​​​​​
                              Last edited by teamchemistry15; 05-16-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Nick Scalzo

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X