Sports Ticker

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midsummer Kentucky Football 2023 Recruiting Class Outlook

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Midsummer Kentucky Football 2023 Recruiting Class Outlook

    A hectic month of football recruiting on Kentucky’s campus is nearing a close. The Wildcats hosted dozens of unofficial visitors, hundreds of campers and around 20 official visitors. We now have a better idea of the direction UK’s coaches are taking to fill in the Kentucky football 2023 recruiting class. Before a handful of decisions are made in July, let’s run through as many targets as possible at every position on the Wildcats’ big board.

    Midsummer Kentucky Football 2023 Recruiting Class Outlook - On3
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

  • #2
    Although names don't mean anything until when or if they sign on the dotted line, there are some things to be gleaned from this article. One thing that caught my eye was the fact that it appears the staff doesn't have confidence that their QB's (post Levis) can take them where they want to go since they're going to be mining the Portal for another QB.
    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
      Although names don't mean anything until when or if they sign on the dotted line, there are some things to be gleaned from this article. One thing that caught my eye was the fact that it appears the staff doesn't have confidence that their QB's (post Levis) can take them where they want to go since they're going to be mining the Portal for another QB.
      I think they know that to compete in the SEC you need more than a competent QB. Allen might be fine and that kid from Iowa might be fine, but a top 10 QB is transformative.
      Aspirational...

      Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

      Comment


      • #4
        First and foremost, I want the Cats to be as competitive as possible. If that means mining the Portal, so be it. Having said that, I hate to see any player recruited over. Allen and Sharon are both Ky. boys that I would like to see do well but if they're going to get a shot, it may have to be somewhere else.
        "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

        Comment


        • #5
          QB aside, I think there is no denying the fact that we are WAY behind in recruiting at this stage of the game. No matter how we spin it, we have ONE 4-star that no one seems to be terribly confident about and a bunch of three stars that are all top 500 or worse. We are once again starting to beat out MAC teams for some of our recruits. Now, that having been said, there is still a LONG way to go and things could turn dramatically if we land a few of these guys in the coming weeks. But, compared to the last few years where we were loading up with 4-stars and top 300 — or even a few top 100.— recruits, well, things appear to have slipped considerably.

          OTOH, it may be that Imam living in an entirely different world. Mining the Portal seems to be a much quicker and more reliable way to build a team rather than through HS recruiting. Still, I think things need to really pick up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
            QB aside, I think there is no denying the fact that we are WAY behind in recruiting at this stage of the game. No matter how we spin it, we have ONE 4-star that no one seems to be terribly confident about and a bunch of three stars that are all top 500 or worse. We are once again starting to beat out MAC teams for some of our recruits. Now, that having been said, there is still a LONG way to go and things could turn dramatically if we land a few of these guys in the coming weeks. But, compared to the last few years where we were loading up with 4-stars and top 300 — or even a few top 100.— recruits, well, things appear to have slipped considerably.

            OTOH, it may be that Imam living in an entirely different world. Mining the Portal seems to be a much quicker and more reliable way to build a team rather than through HS recruiting. Still, I think things need to really pick up.
            I'm worried about how many good players we have whiffed on so far with this class. Especially at positions of need, WR, QB, CB. (It's almost like NIL has something to do with it Mr. Barnhart...)

            Hopefully, we can have a historically good year and flip some kids later on this year.
            Aspirational...

            Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

            Comment


            • #7
              To illustrate my point, as I type this, we are awaiting word on what we consider to be a highly-regarded CB. We consider him key to being able to generate some momentum for the class. He is rated the prospect in the country! How times have changed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
                To illustrate my point, as I type this, we are awaiting word on what we consider to be a highly-regarded CB. We consider him key to being able to generate some momentum for the class. He is rated the prospect in the country! How times have changed.
                Please clarify. The ? prospect in the country?
                Thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Christian Conyer is supposed to announce at about 4:15. He’s a high 3 star, and it’s down to us and UT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Conyer has committed to UT

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Folks we may as well get used to it. The coaching staff is handcuffed by Mitch's refusal to let them play on a level field with UT, UofL et al. Our 2023 class is currently ranked no. 60 among all FBS teams. Unless Mitch changes, or leaves, I see this as being the downfall of the program. As of now, there are few NCAA regs concerning NIL. I don't know what Mitch is afraid of.
                      "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
                        Please clarify. The ? prospect in the country?
                        Thanks
                        I am sorry. I do not know how I failed to include the number. He was the number 626 prospect in the country. A year ago we would not even have given him a second thought. Now we are wringing our hands because he committed to UT. Oh, and the next guy we’re waiting on anxiously is number 742.

                        I am not going to make a definitive statement, but let’s just say our recruiting “appears” to be in serious trouble.
                        Last edited by SBCatMan; 07-03-2022, 07:33 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post

                          I am sorry. I do not know how I failed to include the number. He was the number 626 prospect in the country. A year ago we would not even have given him a second thought. Now we are wringing our hands because he committed to UT. Oh, and the next guy we’re waiting on anxiously is number 742.

                          I am not going to make a definitive statement, but let’s just say our recruiting “appears” to be in serious trouble.
                          No problem. Was obvious from the context it was not a highly ranked player but I didn’t know just how low. Agreed something is way off this summer. Even if the portal is now a regime’s new focus you still gotta bring in a freshman class each year. Troubling.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Mitch sure is catching you know what on Twitter and not just from the average fan. Matt Jones has said Mitch needs to get on with the show or get out.
                            "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Picked up a commitment from Khalifa Keith who is a 3 star power RB out of Alabama.

                              Comment

                               

                              A Word From Our Founder

                              With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                              Midsummer Kentucky Football 2023 Recruiting Class Outlook

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X