Official clock start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official clock start

Question for you Lighthouse--or anyone else who knows for sure...I keep official book for some of my son's games and clock for others. When a player is shooting 1 and a bonus and misses a shot--first or 2nd (doesn't matter) when should I hit the button to start the clock? I figured it was as soon as a player touches the ball as on in inbound play. Local officials have taught me to hit the button as soon as the ball comes off the rim--as soon as its clearly not going in. Is this correct? At this level it probably doesn't much matter and no one probably even notices. But I kinda like doing things right.

Thanks you in advance

Great question and officials everywhere appreciate an Official Timer who does it right. Here is the rule from the NCAA rule book and I think the HS rule reads the same. In Middle School and Freshmen, JV games, and even some Varsity games, if the ball hits the floor untouched, the clock starts when the ball touches the floor. Hope this helps.

Rule 5; Section 10
    Art. 2. The game clock shall be started when
    :
    a. An inbounds player legally touches the ball after the throw-in has been released;
    b. A tossed ball on a jump ball is legally touched;
    c. The ball legally touches a player on the playing court when a free throw is not successful and is to remain live; and
    d. During the last 59.9 seconds of any period or any extra period, when the ball is legally touched inbounds and an official immediately signals to stop the clock, a minimum of 3/10ths (.3) of a second must expire on the game clock.
    John 3:3

Comment

It more than helps, it's perfectly clear. Thank you very much!

FYI I much prefer keeping clock and electronic scoreboard than to keep official book. When I keep book I feel like I cannot have a moment's loss of concentration but when the game is over I feel like I didn't see it. It's like I'm recording something the whole time and not really seeing how the game plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
        It more than helps, it's perfectly clear. Thank you very much!

FYI I much prefer keeping clock and electronic scoreboard than to keep official book. When I keep book I feel like I cannot have a moment's loss of concentration but when the game is over I feel like I didn't see it. It's like I'm recording something the whole time and not really seeing how the game plays out.
        You should get a stripped shirt and a whistle. You would see a much different game and maybe not sleep very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

You should get a stripped shirt and a whistle. You would see a much different game and maybe not sleep very good.
          Funny I just joked about this one night this week with an official who is a long time friend of mine. He mentioned all the help he was getting from the crowd that night and I assured him I want no part of that. He was getting paid (a little) and I am free help...and I wouldn't trade places with him for 3 times his pay. 😁 Even middle.school ball the parents are embarrassing.

Comment

Parents and fans are the main reason young officials quit. They want to be an official, they train and study hard, but after a couple years the threats and comments get old. It takes a special person to succeed as a referee, and that's in any sport. You keep the clock and do it right and you will be a main asset to the game.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Official clock start

Collapse
            Working...
            X