X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Will Lavender
    Administrator
    • Oct 2014

Where'd You Go to High School and Your School's Best Player

WCN: where did you go to high school, and who was the best basketball player to ever graduate from that school? Always interested in hearing where the WCN hail from and a little bit about the b'ball tradition of their areas.

I went to McCreary Central High School. Only high school in my hometown. One of the poorest areas in the United States. The best player ever out of there was Tim Stephens, who went on to play for the 1978 UK national championship team. He was my high school junior varsity coach and his brother was the varsity coach. I was a pretty average player but I really respect both those men.

Honorable mention: Aaron Watts, who had some battles with Jarrod Polson in the 12th Region, and my best friend growing up, Donnie Frazier, who went on to become an All-American at Berea College.
  • largebluej
    • May 2016

Corbin: Would have to be either Jerry Bird or Frank Selvy, I think. Bird played for UK, has his jersey in the rafters. Selvy scored 100 in one game at Furman. More recently I Rick Jones comes to mind.

BTW, I knew Tim Stephens when I was in McCreary County. Really good guy.

Comment

• Blue Heaven
      • Oct 2014

I went to Fairdale. I graduated in 1989 but got to see three of the best my school ever had in Maurice Morris, Jermaine Brown, and Carlos Turner. They helped us win back-to-back Titles in 90 and 91. Fairdale won another in 94 with Eric Martin who went on to play at Oklahoma. Those 90 and 91 teams were loaded though. While Morris and Brown were great ( Morris is the all time leading scorer I believe), Turner was our best player and everyone knew it. He could do it all. He got into some trouble which I won't go into here and ruined his career.
      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Uncle Dave
        • Oct 2014

I went to St. Xavier in Louisville. Our one, and only, claim to fame is Scott Padgett.

Comment

• surveyor
          Administrator
          • Oct 2014

Bullitt East High School - first graduating class.

Derrrick Willis (Rusty Troutman honorable mention)

EDIT: Alison Bass on the girl's side. Went on to play at UofL.
          Last edited by surveyor; 07-03-2017, 12:10 PM.
          Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

• Lighthouse
            Mod & Faux Cook
            • Oct 2014

I graduated from Hanson High School, now consolidated into Madisonville North Hopkins. Our only famous player was Wayne Oakley. On Dec. 21st 1954, he scored 114 points in a game against St Agnes. He still has the record for most points scored in a game in Kentucky Basketball History. He went on to attend Kentucky Wesleyan and became a State Trooper.
            John 3:3

Comment

• SBCatMan
              • Oct 2014

St Joe HS in South Bend, IN. Best players were John Laskowski and Tom Abernethy, both of whom went on to play at IU and the NBA. For a small HS, we produced a lot of talent. Dave Kuzmiec and a guy named Miller who's first name escapes me both played at ND. Rodney Holmes played at Michigan State and Steve Freel went on to NWMS. I'm sure there were others, too.

Comment

• Catsrock
                • Oct 2014

Washington Co. High School in Springfield, KY. Small school but had a good run in late 80's with Kevin Ellery. He was 3rd in Mr. Basketball voting behind Pelphrey and Feldhaus and many thought he was snubbed just for being from the small town school. He had a nice but not stellar career at Notre Dame.

Brothers Jeff and Larry Smith played big roles at UK in football in the 80's.

Sidenote: Shipwreck Kelly is also from my hometown.

Comment

• Catsrock
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by surveyor

Surveyor--I think Alison Bass may have been my 4th grade teacher's daughter (at Mt. Wash Elem.). Went to 1st through 6th grade in Mt. Washington while my dad worked in Lville.

Comment

• surveyor
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Catsrock

Surveyor--I think Alison Bass may have been my 4th grade teacher's daughter (at Mt. Wash Elem.). Went to 1st through 6th grade in Mt. Washington while my dad worked in Lville.
                    Yes. He was also Bullitt East's first boys basketball coach. He also taught Drivers' Ed, Health and PE, I believe.
                    Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

• Blue Heaven
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by surveyor

I used to work with Alison Bass' Brother, Mike. Good guy there.
                      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

• Catsrock
                        • Oct 2014

^Yep that's the family. Mike was on my first teeball team. Central Garage...brings back memories.

Comment

• Lighthouse
                          Mod & Faux Cook
                          • Oct 2014

I played softball with Bill Bass from out that way. Was he a part of the Bass family you guys know?
                          John 3:3

Comment

• J.Jennings
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2014

I actually went to two high schools, i was recruited to play golf my senior year at another school.

Eminence Independent, Mont Sleetz followed by my 6'5 sharp shooting cousin

Shelby County. Mike Casey followed by Charles Hurt
                            Last edited by J.Jennings; 07-03-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Catsrock
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Lighthouse
                              I played softball with Bill Bass from out that way. Was he a part of the Bass family you guys know?
                              Wish I could tell you. Moved to Washington Co. in 1984. To say I know them now would be quite a strech😜

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Where'd You Go to High School and Your School's Best Player

Collapse
                              Working...