NBA Sources: One-and-Done Rule May be Coming to an End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Sources: One-and-Done Rule May be Coming to an End

Various people reported last night that NBA Commish Adam Silver, a longtime opponent of the one-and-done rule, is meeting this week with the players' union to discuss terminating the rule.

The scout Evan Daniels tweeted that the rule could end in "the very near future."

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    Various people reported last night that NBA Commish Adam Silver, a longtime opponent of the one-and-done rule, is meeting this week with the players' union to discuss terminating the rule.

The scout Evan Daniels tweeted that the rule could end in "the very near future."
    Not a fan of the NBA so I'm not sure what this means when implemented. Will kids be allowed into the NBA directly out of HS? Will they have to spend two or more years in college before going pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post

Not a fan of the NBA so I'm not sure what this means when implemented. Will kids be allowed into the NBA directly out of HS? Will they have to spend two or more years in college before going pro?
      That's what Silver wants and has for years. Silver probably wants the G-League to be more of a dominant force, and the way you do that is grab some of these stars out of high school. But IMO the G-League has no long-term potential. Nobody wants to pay to watch 18-year-olds battling it out in Grand Rapids. But as a basic instructional league it would work better than college basketball.

The college game will be hurt by this in some ways, but it'll bring other fans back into the fold. Kentucky will be fine you would think, but I don't think John Calipari will be around that long after the rule is put in--if it is.

And I was wrong in the OP. Silver is meeting with that newly formed Commission on College Basketball, not the union.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/17/ad...one-draft-rule

Comment

He is going to have get it by the union which could be difficult. They will want something back in return. Silver is probably just giving this lip service. He brings it up ever so often and nothing ever happens.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Cal has been getting beaten on these sure-fire one and done players recently. We've also been taking more guys that will be here two or three years lately.

Part of me wonders how much the second sentence is related to the first sentence, and how much of it is Cal knowing this rule change was on the horizon and trying to get out in front of it (probably the first sentence, but I want to think Cal is playing chess).

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
            He is going to have get it by the union which could be difficult. They will want something back in return. Silver is probably just giving this lip service. He brings it up ever so often and nothing ever happens.
            If Silver wants to open up the NBA to high school graduating seniors, I would think the Players Union would embrace the move because it would mean the union would get its substantial union dues earlier in the process.

Comment

From the college perspective, this doesn't really solve the one and done thing. I would think you will still have quite a few players in college for one year trying to raise their draft stock unless EVERYONE who is any good goes to the G league in a minor league style draft. After almost a decade of OAD here at UK, I think I'm over it. When we have the transcendent talent it's OK, but generally, I dislike only having a player around for a year. I like getting to know them, watching their development etc.
              Originally posted by Eli "Montgomery Burns" Capilouto
              Welcome to the University of Kroger! Can I have a dollar?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                From the college perspective, this doesn't really solve the one and done thing. I would think you will still have quite a few players in college for one year trying to raise their draft stock unless EVERYONE who is any good goes to the G league in a minor league style draft. After almost a decade of OAD here at UK, I think I'm over it. When we have the transcendent talent it's OK, but generally, I dislike only having a player around for a year. I like getting to know them, watching their development etc.
                I agree with this. It's hard for me to get excited about a team comprised of entirely new people that will be gone in 6 months. This year is a little different because some of our guys may be back next year, but most years it's hard for me to get excited over it, especially when the schtick we've relied on is now getting us beaten and Duke is doing it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I agree with this. It's hard for me to get excited about a team comprised of entirely new people that will be gone in 6 months. This year is a little different because some of our guys may be back next year, but most years it's hard for me to get excited over it, especially when the schtick we've relied on is now getting us beaten and Duke is doing it better.
                  This is in part why I wasn't bothered by the Kansas loss. I wanted to win the game and like Pavlov's dog I was into it and rooting for UK, but ultimately I'm not that invested anymore. The Wisconsin loss has something to do with that, but it is more the rapidly changing cast year in and year out. I just don't care than much.

Comment

Originally posted by SCBlu View Post

If Silver wants to open up the NBA to high school graduating seniors, I would think the Players Union would embrace the move because it would mean the union would get its substantial union dues earlier in the process.
                    But isn't it a zero sum game? IE there are a fixed number of roster slots. If just out of high school players take slots there will be fewer older experienced players on rosters. Seems like, if anything, that would reduce the average salary of players.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Gatos View Post

But isn't it a zero sum game? IE there are a fixed number of roster slots. If just out of high school players take slots there will be fewer older experienced players on rosters. Seems like, if anything, that would reduce the average salary of players.
                      Not if the G-league greatly expands and those players are required to pay union dues.

Comment

The discussion I've heard on this is that IF high school seniors are allowed in the draft, the condition would be that it would be similar to what baseball does - if you're drafted, but don't sign with a team and go to college, you're not eligible until after your sophomore or junior season (whichever the NBA decides, IF that's the route they choose).

I like that option. You'll essentially have maybe the top 10 lottery picks going to the NBA out of high school, but perhaps not so much with ones outside of that.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio. Rodney Dangerfield

Comment

I would prefer players to stay too, but the trade-off is that we would have few of these players we've gotten close over the last few years.

No Wall. No Cousins. No Knight. No Davis. No MKG. No Towns. No Julius Randle. No Fox. No Monk.

Watching players grow is always better, but I also like maximum talent simply because it's a rare thing. We had players coming in and growing in the recent past. It wasn't as beloved as many think it will be.

Now if you get players like Ulis and Booker to stay, then you have manna. That's what Cal or the next coach will have to approximate. You still have to recruit at the highest levels and the will he/won't he game of these straight-out-of-high-school players makes it just a little harder.

Comment

This is in part why I wasn't bothered by the Kansas loss. I wanted to win the game and like Pavlov's dog I was into it and rooting for UK, but ultimately I'm not that invested anymore. The Wisconsin loss has something to do with that, but it is more the rapidly changing cast year in and year out. I just don't care than much.
                            That Wisconsin game killed me and I haven't gotten that invested since. But largely we haven't had a team that I thought really stood a shot at winning it, and it's really hard for me to get invested in it when I don't see the potential for a title.

That's kind of where I'm at this year. I'm going to watch and cheer, I just can't get as all-out excited like I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                              I would prefer players to stay too, but the trade-off is that we would have few of these players we've gotten close over the last few years.

No Wall. No Cousins. No Knight. No Davis. No MKG. No Towns. No Julius Randle. No Fox. No Monk.

Watching players grow is always better, but I also like maximum talent simply because it's a rare thing. We had players coming in and growing in the recent past. It wasn't as beloved as many think it will be.

Now if you get players like Ulis and Booker to stay, then you have manna. That's what Cal or the next coach will have to approximate. You still have to recruit at the highest levels and the will he/won't he game of these straight-out-of-high-school players makes it just a little harder.
                              Yeah, but when that maximum talent flames out before the Final Four it makes you wonder. The fact is, and I think Cal is a great coach, the rest of the game has figured out how to play with him. This reloading of freshman every year is getting figured out by teams that have guys that are 90% as talented but have the experience to go along with it.

Comment

NBA Sources: One-and-Done Rule May be Coming to an End

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X