No announcement yet.

NBA Sources: One-and-Done Rule May be Coming to an End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other NBA news , Demarcus Cousins was ready to whip Kevin Durant's a double s last night lol lol lol, stick man better stay away from Cousins, Cousins will hurt that dude.
    I post in peace!!!

Comment

• I heard Steve Kerr lobby for early NBA entry out of high school AND two and done.
      Originally posted by Eli "Montgomery Burns" Capilouto
      Welcome to the University of Kroger! Can I have a dollar?

Comment

• ^ I wouldn’t have a problem with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friendsofcoal View Post
          ^ I wouldn’t have a problem with that.
          It makes too much sense for it to fly. It would really be ideal in my mind. Let the LeBrons go early and the Devin Booker Malik Monks stay for two.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

It makes too much sense for it to fly. It would really be ideal in my mind. Let the LeBrons go early and the Devin Booker Malik Monks stay for two.
            Monk would have been drafted right out of high school.

In fact almost everybody we've had who was drafted with Cal would have been drafted out of high school.

Just a few exceptions: Booker, Ulis, Cauley-Stein, Lamb, some of the guys this year.

Where the rule gets tricky is when you have those guys who hold out on teams and who don't make a decision until late, Sebastian Telfair-style. The way to get around this is to have the NBA identify who could go and who should stay--a policy that Cal was talking about just a couple of weeks ago. But because "amateurism" has such a stranglehold on the NCAA they will probably never go that route.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
              For those who don't like the NBA, i do understand why. Still i think it's good to watch especially if it's a rivalry game or the playoffs. The Greek Freek in Milwaukee is the next big thing for sure...
              You should see him in person - so damn long... I've been working up in their new Practice facility recently. Unbelievable setup they have there. The other day, was standing literally 10 feet from Bledsoe and Jason Kidd. They were busy so I didn't bother them but I can't say enough positive about their new setup. On top of that, their building a new arena to open next season. Bucks could be up and comers.

Comment

• With all the NBA fans I am surprised not to see a mention of the game Demarcus Cousins had last night. 40 points and 22 rebounds is a decent night's work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Monk would have been drafted right out of high school.

In fact almost everybody we've had who was drafted with Cal would have been drafted out of high school.

Just a few exceptions: Booker, Ulis, Cauley-Stein, Lamb, some of the guys this year.

Where the rule gets tricky is when you have those guys who hold out on teams and who don't make a decision until late, Sebastian Telfair-style. The way to get around this is to have the NBA identify who could go and who should stay--a policy that Cal was talking about just a couple of weeks ago. But because "amateurism" has such a stranglehold on the NCAA they will probably never go that route.
                  He wouldn't have been a lottery pick out of high school and that makes a difference.

Comment

He wouldn't have been a lottery pick out of high school and that makes a difference.
                    Would've been very close. They don't have to be in the lottery; first round money is also too good to pass up for most of these guys.

Monk has that amazing electricity that you could see in high school. I think he's one of the guys who didn't really need college.

Ironically Andrew Harrison would've probably been a lottery pick out of high school if the one-and-done rule didn't exist.

Comment

Would've been very close. They don't have to be in the lottery; first round money is also too good to pass up for most of these guys.

Monk has that amazing electricity that you could see in high school. I think he's one of the guys who didn't really need college.

Ironically Andrew Harrison would've probably been a lottery pick out of high school if the one-and-done rule didn't exist.
                      The book on Monk in high school was (unbelievably) that his shooting was an issue and he didn't play defense. Further the main stream conventional wisdom in coming out early is that if you are going to be a lottery pick it's a no-brainer, if not probably go to school.

Comment

Further the main stream conventional wisdom in coming out early is that if you are going to be a lottery pick it's a no-brainer, if not probably go to school.
                        Unfortunately that's not wisdom a lot of them follow, and it won't be when this rule is changed.

You'll still have way more straight-out-of-high-schoolers than lottery slots available You'll have more straight-outs than first round slots.

This is what was happening before the rule came in: guys like Robert Swift could have huge McDonald's All-Star games and then decide to jump. Then they'd never be heard from again.

Silver's gambit is that the G-League is going to make it so that those types of players get the proper instruction, but I'm not sure it will happen that way. I think these lottery/first round guys are preternatural talents and no G-League is going to turn guys who aren't in that boat into phenoms. (The G-League will help, however, if it can remain financially viable enough to remain in existence.)

Comment

• Cal's selling/talking point isn't getting first round money, it's getting second contract money. That's still a compelling argument, and will be even if the one-and-done rule is slashed.

Very few high school kids who came right out of high school got second contracts. Maybe the G-league will help, but I doubt it.

Comment

• Cal hasn't gotten a lot of them to stay by trying to play that second contract card.

Whether he would be able to get a player who's on the fence to not jump right out of high school or not I don't know, but my suspicion is that when the rule changes Cal will leave the college game. I just don't think he wants to develop players the way he was doing twenty years ago at UMASS. He's in a much different business now, one that will be significantly rearranged once the one-and-done rule goes out.

Comment

Cal hasn't gotten a lot of them to stay by trying to play that second contract card.

Whether he would be able to get a player who's on the fence to not jump right out of high school or not I don't know, but my suspicion is that when the rule changes Cal will leave the college game. I just don't think he wants to develop players the way he was doing twenty years ago at UMASS. He's in a much different business now, one that will be significantly rearranged once the one-and-done rule goes out.
                              If the rule changes, who replaces Cal?

No more one-and-done might change what you look for in a recruiter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

If the rule changes, who replaces Cal?

No more one-and-done might change what you look for in a recruiter.
                                Are we back to a 'who replaces Cal' thread? lol

Comment

NBA Sources: One-and-Done Rule May be Coming to an End

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X