Seth Greenberg Blasts Kentucky's Freshmen and the One-and-Done Era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Greenberg Blasts Kentucky's Freshmen and the One-and-Done Era

Heck, Cal is the one who created this. When it goes bad and starts to look selfish I think he should get the brunt of the criticism, not the players.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/colle...195084489.html

^^
    Pat Forde tried that a few years ago and wound up looking stupid.

There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

Regarding Greenberg's screed, you can't blame an 18 year old kid for being an idiot when he's been told he's special by hangers-on with dollar signs in their eyes since they were 13. The system is set up to showcase a kid's abilities and talents, so it's unreasonable to expect these kids to magically show up in college knowing how to be a good teammate and how to handle close games.
      There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

I do not want to sound like a "homer" here, but, up until this year, at least, Cal has been successful largely because his players have NOT had the attitudes that Greenberg rightfully attacks. Despite having players who have been the center of attention most of their lives, the large majority of them did not display that attitude while at UK. It sometimes took a little time, but most of them learned to play hard, to play to win and to sacrifice in order to do that. Anthony Davis relegating his game for the sake of the team has been well documented. Despite his success in the NBA, Karl Anthony Townes stews over the loss to Wisconsin. And, the overwhelming majority of these guys still speak of the "UK Brotherhood."

This is not to disagree with Greenberg. In general, his points are well taken. I hate seeing these guys all leave after a year or two. But, for the most part, I think we more than got our money's worth while they were here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
          ^^
          Pat Forde tried that a few years ago and wound up looking stupid.
          Good point.

More than any of that these players are paying the price for a couple of decisions that were out of their control. You put just a couple of old guys on this team and you might have some necessary leadership.

One thing that's not spoken about much is the fact that Kentucky hasn't only been burned by guys going to the NBA. It's been burned by guys just bailing out of the program to either transfer or play overseas.

Charles Matthews would be great on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by SBCatMan View Post
            I do not want to sound like a "homer" here, but, up until this year, at least, Cal has been successful largely because his players have NOT had the attitudes that Greenberg rightfully attacks. Despite having players who have been the center of attention most of their lives, the large majority of them did not display that attitude while at UK. It sometimes took a little time, but most of them learned to play hard, to play to win and to sacrifice in order to do that. Anthony Davis relegating his game for the sake of the team has been well documented. Despite his success in the NBA, Karl Anthony Townes stews over the loss to Wisconsin. And, the overwhelming majority of these guys still speak of the "UK Brotherhood."

This is not to disagree with Greenberg. In general, his points are well taken. I hate seeing these guys all leave after a year or two. But, for the most part, I think we more than got our money's worth while they were here.
            I totally agree.

This is why it drives me nuts when people throw out, "They're not playing for UK, they're playing for their draft stock!" Nails on a chalk board time.

But when the one-and-done thing goes wonky is when you lose almost every freshmen and you have upperclassmen leave who have no business leaving and you have a couple of graduates.

It rolls the roster over to the point where just the slightest thing can capsize the boat. That's where we are now. I've said this, but to me it's like peak one and done. It's when one and done gets really rotten.

Comment

Hami Diallo almost leaving for the draft was peak one-and-done. Thankfully it didn't come to that, but that would've been where this thing would have jumped the shark. I agree with SBCatMan, though. Cal's been pretty darn good at getting these guys to buy in - you don't get to 4 final fours in 6 years without being good at putting together a team.

I also would say that I don't think there's a real attitude problem on this team that couldn't be corrected with some veteran leadership. It's not like we've got a team of Rashaad Carruth's out there. They're just talented freshmen who've never had it this tough in their life.

Comment

Are there really still fans that think these high profile 5 stars we get come to Ky to play for anything other than getting to the NBA ASAP?

Wins and titles are a by product to getting rich quick. The system is broke but that is partially the genius of Calipari. Nobody plays the system like he can. It's just that this year it caught up with him.

We lost an entire roster for one thing. The only one left behind was a role player in Gabriel and an unknown entity in Dallo who already had one foot out the door. Then Cal whiffs on some of the better recruits, other than Knox, has unfortunate injuries to deal with and a roster full of potentials.

Spoiled? Of ourse they are. Is this supposed to be a revelation?

Comment

As someone else said this is a team with not an ounce of veteran leadership. If you put a good solid veteran player in the mix a lot of this attitude would change. Also up until now most players have been loyal to Cal at least after they left. I do think it is more being loyal to Cal than UK though. I also think most do come here with an eye to the NBA after one year. That's is most certain fact of all. But when one is proved not be able to be a draft pick after that one year I think they feel like they have failed. They have not but I'm sure their homies are telling them that and then some of those transfer when they could have been patient and been a key contributor in a couple of those seasons and then be ready for the pros.
                  Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

This team is catching hell from every direction it seems LOL.. Fans, coach, national media outlets. They are what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                      This team is catching hell from every direction it seems LOL.. Fans, coach, national media outlets. They are what they are.
                      No different from every other flawed team I've seen at UK really.

Kentucky has a lot of eyes on it, inside and outside the Commonwealth. When things go bad people have opinions.

Comment

I was seeing growth until the USC game. IMO, we have two players on this team who are playing for themselves. The stats seem to mean more than the team. We sorely lack leadership. Too much selfish play. Defense is a Cal staple. If you can't play it then you don't play much. These two guys have zero defense to speak of. But Cal can't sit those guys because it will be curtains on this team. We need a healthy Quade. We need Vanderbilt to improve and get his legs under him. I still can't believe he only played 14 minutes. It's not like you or me fighting for minutes. It doesn't take long to get up to speed on this team.
                        No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

When was the last time Greenburg coached a team to a national title, a final four, or even an elite 8? He was a washed up coach at Virginia Tech and got fired after 9 seasons and having only one tourney appearance. Yes, he had success in the past, but not at Tech where they canned him in 2012. He, of all people, should shut his fat mouth, when it comes to running down successful programs. He must be a bit jaded, given his last coaching stint.

Comment

Originally posted by boomdaddy View Post
                            He, of all people, should shut his fat mouth, when it comes to running down successful programs.
                            The comments were more about the players and just generally about the idea of players playing as if they're auditioning for the NBA.

Cal and Greenberg are pretty good friends from what I understand. For Greenberg to go on a rant like that I would imagine he'd shared those opinions with Cal.

Comment

Originally posted by boomdaddy View Post
                              When was the last time Greenburg coached a team to a national title, a final four, or even an elite 8? He was a washed up coach at Virginia Tech and got fired after 9 seasons and having only one tourney appearance. Yes, he had success in the past, but not at Tech where they canned him in 2012. He, of all people, should shut his fat mouth, when it comes to running down successful programs. He must be a bit jaded, given his last coaching stint.
                              Greenberg has been in our court. He has praised Cal's job he has done since he has been here. What we have this season is selfishness and a feeling of being used. I have no problem with his assessment. It's fairly obvious that this team is not the norm for a Cal UK team. We deserve all the criticism we receive until we show that killer instinct and stop playing like the youngest team in America.
                              No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Seth Greenberg Blasts Kentucky's Freshmen and the One-and-Done Era

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X