X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is bad, very bad.........
    I post in peace!!!

Comment

I seem to be the minority by saying this should absolutely happen. If a coach can quit his team to go coach somewhere else the next year then a player should be able to as well. IMO it will keep coaches honest because if they lie to a recruit about the playing time they will get or the position they will play and don't keep that promise the kid can up and leave. If a kid gets passed up, like Mac Jones, he can transfer without issue. I don't think it will bother us in basketball because the majority of our impact players are one and done, but in football it could benefit us because of the opportunity to play now. If a kid is sitting the bench at Bama or Georgia and wants some exposure he might be more likely to look elsewhere if he doesn't have to spend an extra year on the pine.

Comment

I am for the interests of the athletes, but I am also for the interests of smaller schools that will get used as development league. This has the potential to turn smaller schools into Junior Colleges.

I think a player should be able to transfer no questions asked if a coach leaves or gets fired, if that coach gets a program in trouble with the NCAA and that player wasn't involved in it, and maybe a few other instances. I don't think a player ought to be able to use Murray State or Central Michigan as a tryout to get to the 'big leagues.'

One such mitigating idea for this if it goes through could be that the school accepting a transfer has to reimburse the previous school for tuition and expenses except in the cases I outlined above.
        Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 01-18-2018, 04:00 PM.
        There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post
          I seem to be the minority by saying this should absolutely happen. If a coach can quit his team to go coach somewhere else the next year then a player should be able to as well. IMO it will keep coaches honest because if they lie to a recruit about the playing time they will get or the position they will play and don't keep that promise the kid can up and leave. If a kid gets passed up, like Mac Jones, he can transfer without issue. I don't think it will bother us in basketball because the majority of our impact players are one and done, but in football it could benefit us because of the opportunity to play now. If a kid is sitting the bench at Bama or Georgia and wants some exposure he might be more likely to look elsewhere if he doesn't have to spend an extra year on the pine.
          This is an interesting idea I hadn't considered that it could work the other around.

Edit - It is true that most kids don't want to ride the bench. Still, the guy sitting the bench at an SEC school is there for a reason, either he hasn't meshed with the program or there's someone in front of him or he got recruited over. Would he be a good fit at Kentucky or Vandy or some other middle-lower tiered program? Not sure.
          Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 01-18-2018, 04:08 PM.
          There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

If Nick Saban contacts a say Bennie Snell and says come play for us and win a national championship, what do you do if your him. This will destroy programs like UK in football, I predict

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

This is an interesting idea I hadn't considered that it could work the other around.

Edit - It is true that most kids don't want to ride the bench. Still, the guy sitting the bench at an SEC school is there for a reason, either he hasn't meshed with the program or there's someone in front of him or he got recruited over. Would he be a good fit at Kentucky or Vandy or some other middle-lower tiered program? Not sure.
              A few years ago Alabama had five five star running backs on their team. I would take a flyer on one. I think, as Jload mentioned, that will actually prevent guys like Snell from transferring to bigger schools. Unless their one and only goal is to win a title (and, IMO, not many guys have that as their only goal) it won't hurt schools like UK. Most kids want playing time, want exposure, want to be the face of a program, want touches, etc. All of those things lead to increased draft stock, which is really the ultimate goal. Would Snell want to go share carries next year with Harris and Harris just to have a chance at a ring? Or does he want to get all of the carries he wants at UK and actually show just how good he is while carrying the program?

Comment

UPDATE: It seems that the rule change will only effect programs where the coach leaves or gets fired. The player can also leave if the program has received a postseason ban. One rule I also agree with is the player can't follow the coach to his new job. I like this better then just letting anybody transfer whenever they want.
                Changes are coming to the NCAA's transfer rules; the only question is what they will be
                Last edited by thughes; 01-30-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I wonder if this was the original plan or plan B, because of negative feedback.
                  John 3:3

Comment

I'm choosing to believe they read my post and came to their senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                      I wonder if this was the original plan or plan B, because of negative feedback.
                      Maybe a little of both? I would say that the original plan was thrown out there to see what the reaction would be.

Comment

I don't think the NCAA cares what the public's reaction to this stuff is. I think they probably listened to comments from coaches and school and determined it would impact the smaller schools a lot harder than the bigger schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                          I don't think the NCAA cares what the public's reaction to this stuff is. I think they probably listened to comments from coaches and school and determined it would impact the smaller schools a lot harder than the bigger schools.
                          I'm sure that's correct, and their feedback probably caused them to go to plan B.
                          John 3:3

Comment

Pretty sure Plan B Lighthouse.

Comment

NCAA to Possibly Allow Transfers to Play Without Sitting Out

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X