Kevin Stallings Out as Pitt Coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Stallings Out as Pitt Coach

Turned out to be the worst hire in recent years in a power conference. Maybe ever.

Read this morning that Tom Crean may be a candidate both at Pitt and Ole Miss.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...medium=twitter

Why was that hire so bad? Kevin Stallings had some decent teams at Vanderbilt and won the SEC Tournament. Hard to believe he was that bad that he failed so miserably at Pitt.

He's a world class a-hole though, so watching him fall on his face is nice.
    Kentuckian residing too close to Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
      Why was that hire so bad?
      May've been that he just didn't have the right ties to the area that you need to have.

The ACC is obviously brutal. If you don't kill it in recruiting you'll sink fast. Stallings seemed to've started drowning on day one.

I saw Dauster say this morning on Twitter that Stallings was only hired there because of "nepotism on the search committee." Sounds like there was probably somebody on the committee who angled for Stallings and Pitt paid the price.

These search firms are garbage. Never understood why AD's pay them the money they do.

Comment

States in the article he was an unpopular hire. I imagine he has well known reputation for being a jerk. So its no surprise he failed miserably at Pitt. Pitt had a very good run first with Ben Howland and then Jamie Dixon. Stallings just gave a lesson on how you can destroy a program very quickly.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

May've been that he just didn't have the right ties to the area that you need to have.

The ACC is obviously brutal. If you don't kill it in recruiting you'll sink fast. Stallings seemed to've started drowning on day one.

I saw Dauster say this morning on Twitter that Stallings was only hired there because of "nepotism on the search committee." Sounds like there was probably somebody on the committee who angled for Stallings and Pitt paid the price.

These search firms are garbage. Never understood why AD's pay them the money they do.
          A search firm gave us Billy Gillispie.

I've also never understood why AD's use them. It's not like hiring a software developer where you have a million candidates. There aren't that many head coaches out there - it's a small field.

Comment

Here's a coach with name recognition that U of L might be able to hire.
            Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
              *cut to footage of Louisville fans burning down the YUM! Center*

Comment

*cut to footage of Louisville fans burning down the YUM! Center*
                LOL!!! Good one!!!

Comment

Would be a great UL hire for UK fans. We'd get to dislike them while knowing they're harmless.

Comment

I know you guys are joking but after Stallings' comment about Louisville, I think he's going to be persona non grata in Louisville.

Comment

I remember discussing the announcement that Stallings was going to Pittsburgh and how horrible of a hire that was. There was no way Stallings was ever going to sniff Dixon's won-loss record. Sort of reminds me of LSU and Les Miles. I think Orgeron may have overachieved at 9-4 last year.
                      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

A search firm gave us Billy Gillispie.
                        Are you sure? I heard Oscar Combs interview Jim Host and it didn’t sound like that is how it went down.

Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Here you go -

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN
                          Former Pitt AD Scott Barnes hired Todd Turner as search firm two years ago. Barnes worked for Turner at Washington, and Turner had hired Stallings while at Vandy.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Are you sure? I heard Oscar Combs interview Jim Host and it didn’t sound like that is how it went down.

However, other hires led by Parker Executive Search and other firms, such as Kelvin Sampson at Indiana, Billy Gillispie at Kentucky and Mike Haywood at Pittsburgh, have flamed out royally, bringing up the question of whether an outside search firm can understand fit.
                            http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lege-athletics

Comment

LMAO...I just told my husband the same thing....perfect fit

Comment

Kevin Stallings Out as Pitt Coach

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X