Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubby out at Memphis?

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post

I have seen rumors of Tubby being out and Penny being in at Memphis, but I have a hard time believing a somewhat bigger D1 school would give the keys to an AAU coach. I wouldn't mind seeing us try to get Penny on our staff as an assistant if we have an opening. He seems to be a heck of a coach, the kids love him and know him so he would help recruiting, and it would be a great spot for him to get the experience if he wants to be a head coach one day.

I say this because there seems to be some talk (on other boards nothing concrete) that Wiseman could end up at Memphis if Penny goes there to coach.
    We'll likely know very soon how this is going to go. Tubby has a meeting with the Memphis brass today.

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

We'll likely know very soon how this is going to go. Tubby has a meeting with the Memphis brass today.
    Tubby officially out.

Comment

Here we go, if it's Hardaway to Memphis we'll know soon.
      John 3:3

Comment

It took me awhile, but I finally merged posts from the recruiting Forum to here. I hope that's ok with all involved.
        John 3:3

Comment

Tubby was complaining that Hardaway was working behind the scenes trying to get him fired. Hardaway may get the players but can he coach.

Comment

I know this isn't a popular stand, but in my opinion Tubby Smith was the best bench (x and o) We had at UK in twenty years. The trouble was OTS hated recruiting, despised the AAU circuit......and that part of the game passed him by and brought him down. If you can say winning 19 and 21 games at the hole Memphis became is brought down.

Comment

Evan Daniels tweeted at 5:06 that the meeting had been delayed and may not happen today so who knows??

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                I know this isn't a popular stand, but in my opinion Tubby Smith was the best bench (x and o) We had at UK in twenty years. The trouble was OTS hated recruiting, despised the AAU circuit......and that part of the game passed him by and brought him down. If you can say winning 19 and 21 games at the hole Memphis became is brought down.
                Hey each to his own, Bill. I'm really no Tubby hater but he sure had a lot of upperclassmen led teams with the most stagnant offense I've ever seen. 4 guys passing the ball around the perimeter till one of them jacked it up before the buzzer was not very strong on X's and O's. He'd call a timeout to set up the last play of a half and then not even get a shot off.

Anyway, that's been debated to death. I just hope Hardaway doesn't take Wiseman from us.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsrock View Post

Hey each to his own, Bill. I'm really no Tubby hater but he sure had a lot of upperclassmen led teams with the most stagnant offense I've ever seen. 4 guys passing the ball around the perimeter till one of them jacked it up before the buzzer was not very strong on X's and O's. He'd call a timeout to set up the last play of a half and then not even get a shot off.

Anyway, that's been debated to death. I just hope Hardaway doesn't take Wiseman from us.
                  Lol...true enough....and Sheray lives! By the time he left, I think most of us realized his version of the game was done.......but boy, oh boy did I miss him Billy Gillispie second year!!!!!!

Comment

Not sure how good he was with x's and o's, but he's a financial genius. He gets a 9.75 MILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT!!!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...enny-hardaway/

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                      Not sure how good he was with x's and o's, but he's a financial genius. He gets a 9.75 MILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT!!!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...enny-hardaway/
                      Hey, its good work if you can lose it.

Comment

Lol.....must have had someone else writing a contract on a napkin.
                        in a bar.

These coaching contracts.....oh my goodness.

Comment

Problem is, a lot of these guys are very good X's and O's coaches. If they weren't they wouldn't be at this level.

Coaching D1 basketball is so much more than that. Really X's and O's are the easy part. Basketball is a reactive sport; there's certainly strategy, but not like in football. Basketball comes down a lot of times to willpower and determination. And, yes, talent.

I'm not sure how well Tubby connected to his players as he got older. Seemed distracted a lot of times. If fans could read that, I'm sure the players could. He definitely never had that love you can see Calipari has. And I think that's a big part of why he couldn't reel in players like Cal. He seemed to be a good technician but not great when it came to the people behind that technique. That's huge in this game.

I always liked him though and never really had much of a problem with him at UK until the last two years, when things kind of went off the rails.

Have no idea what Memphis was thinking hiring him. I guess they were wanting the polar opposite of Josh Pastner, but it was a disastrous hire from the start.

Comment

I am not sure Penny has a degree. He was a horrible student and had to have the university president issue a presidential waiver to even get in the school. He did not do well while there, rumor has it he didn’t go to class his last year there. I lived in Memphis during this period and met him a couple of imes , not the brightest build in the pack. A couple of years ago my son took the Raleigh Egypt Junior High team to city championships and faced his team in first round. He is an arrogant jerk and there were widespread rumors he broke several rules recruiting players all over the city illegally. If Memphis hires him I predict they will live to regret it.

Comment

Memphis being accused of cheating??????surely not...
                              lolol.

Comment

Tubby out at Memphis?

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X