Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA's Committee on College Basketball Calls for Major Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NCAA's Committee on College Basketball Calls for Major Changes

    This is a brief rundown from the Courier-Journal. Looks like the committee has called for ending one-and-done, allowing high school and college players access to agents, cracking down on some of these apparel-company-sponsored events, and trying to force the NCAA to outsource its enforcement of its rules.

    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ort/547467002/

  • #2
    People who spend their lives thinking and writing about college basketball are not being kind to this committee on social media.

    They seem to believe this was a colossal waste of time and resources.

    Comment


    • #3
      The committee is currently blasting the NCAA for their absurd ruling on North Carolina, so I'll give them credit for that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Fran Fraschilla‏Verified account @franfraschilla 37s37 seconds agoNCAA Rice Commission’s recommendations are a start:
        1. Eliminate “One-and-Done”with support from @NBA & NBAPA
        2. Undrafted players can return to school
        3. Harsher penalties for coaches who cheat
        4. Reform summer hoops
        5. Allow agents
        6. Degree completion for all student-athletes

        Comment


        • #5
          Kyle Tucker‏ @KyleTucker_SEC: The NCAA's backup plan if the NBA doesn't start making high school players eligible to go straight to the draft is gross: consider freshman NCAA ineligibility or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient is a one-and-done. Awful.

          That's abhorrent.
          "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
            Fran Fraschilla‏Verified account @franfraschilla 37s37 seconds agoNCAA Rice Commission’s recommendations are a start:
            1. Eliminate “One-and-Done”with support from @NBA & NBAPA
            2. Undrafted players can return to school
            3. Harsher penalties for coaches who cheat
            4. Reform summer hoops
            5. Allow agents
            6. Degree completion for all student-athletes
            I like 2 and 3

            Comment


            • #7
              This committee can call for NCAA changes all they want, and all of us know changes are desperately needed, but until the Players Association changes their stance, it will remain just a suggestion. I'm happy to read the part about the handling of the UNC case. Putting pressure for some kind of action is all this is. But I hope it works!
              John 3:3

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                This committee can call for NCAA changes all they want, and all of us know changes are desperately needed, but until the Players Association changes their stance, it will remain just a suggestion. I'm happy to read the part about the handling of the UNC case. Putting pressure for some kind of action is all this is. But I hope it works!
                It won't remain a suggestion if the NCAA takes the horrendous action they proposed as a backup. The only way to fix the one and done 'problem' is to make college more appealing. Scapegoating them and putting the guilt of harming a program if they choose to leave on them doesn't accomplish that.

                These guys are kids - I believe Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns, and the other ones and done are genuine that they loved UK. Why would it be good policy to make those guys the face of harming a program?
                "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                  It won't remain a suggestion if the NCAA takes the horrendous action they proposed as a backup. The only way to fix the one and done 'problem' is to make college more appealing. Scapegoating them and putting the guilt of harming a program if they choose to leave on them doesn't accomplish that.

                  These guys are kids - I believe Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns, and the other ones and done are genuine that they loved UK. Why would it be good policy to make those guys the face of harming a program?
                  I agree. My point is, the committee is putting pressure on the NCAA instead of the Players Association. We know what a mess the NCAA will make with any changes they attempt to make.
                  John 3:3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dan Wetzel on the uselessness of this commission and the circle of victimhood in the NCAA:

                    https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-plays-...162401059.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Cal says he can't comment on commission's report, reveals he had minor surgery:

                      https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/..._medium=Social

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nobody with a lot of power ever gives it up voluntarily. This report was about maintaining power and money for the NCAA , they are NEVER going to give it up voluntarily. Only by member institutions threatening to pull out will anything meaningful happen.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We wanted something to be done.....so here we are.

                          It is quite possible we are seeing an NCAA golden goose have it's neck stretched for the ax.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                            We wanted something to be done.....so here we are.

                            It is quite possible we are seeing an NCAA golden goose have it's neck stretched for the ax.
                            I hope so. There was talk a few years back about forming 4, 16 team power conferences and they would govern themselves. Movement was made on the FB side, but not in BB yet.
                            John 3:3

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Some of this was ok. A lot is just yada yada yada stuff. They never addressed the pay for play part because, according to them, there is still outstanding litigation. Once settled, then they might look at it.

                              The thought of eliminating Freshman eligibility once again was pure stupid. The NBA is going to do what they want to do and college basketball be damned. And on their timetable.

                              I like the bigger penalties for cheaters. And the obvious jab at UNC. And the idea of penalizing schools that hire coaches and ADs that have a show cause(I'm looking at you UL).

                              The fact that coaches aren't allowed to not support this in public is amazing and won't sit well with some of them, including John Vincent Calipari.

                              In the end I just got a bad feeling that college basketball, as we know it and knew it, was being put to death, and that makes me sad.

                              Comment

                              NCAA's Committee on College Basketball Calls for Major Changes

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X