No announcement yet.

Mom of Duke player says NCAA system resembles 'slavery and the prison system'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom of Duke player says NCAA system resembles 'slavery and the prison system'

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...z&ocid=UE07DHP

I'm no fan of the NCAA as a governing body...but slavery and prison? Sounds a bit sensationalized.

Comment

They get a free education and some killer healthcare while there. Bad choice of words lady.
      No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Hyperbole and ignorance at its best. I don't think anyone values a free education anymore.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
          They get a free education and some killer healthcare while there. Bad choice of words lady.
          Is the healthcare thing true? I've always heard the athletes are on the hook for the costs.

Comment

They do get healthcare but I think it varies from school to school what kind of policies they get.

Comment

I agree the NCAA makes a killing off these kids but why not just get a job, skip college, stay in shape, apply for the draft a year later? Unless someone has gun to your head, you don't have to go to college right?
              I post in peace!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
                I agree the NCAA makes a killing off these kids but why not just get a job, skip college, stay in shape, apply for the draft a year later? Unless someone has gun to your head, you don't have to go to college right?
                Well I think that's part of what she's saying.

These players need college for the most part. They'd still be drafted in many cases...but they lose a lot of money by not going to college. Mitchell Robinson's still going to have his name called, but it'd be a whole different deal for him if he'd played at Western. You just can't get anywhere near the publicity, the hype, and the instruction that you could've gotten had you played at a place like Duke or Kentucky.

The NCAA knows this, and it often grabs these kids and puts them into this system where millions of dollars are thrown around and the players only get the part of that money that fulfills their scholarship. There is a bit of indentured servitude to it if you think about what the players can't do against the power the NCAA has.

So I agree with her that it's a cracked system. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's "slavery," that's dumb, but we live in a Donald Trump world now where if a person makes a point then it has to be bombastic and loaded up with hyperbole for it to register. Her underlying point about the NCAA being rigged is right.

Comment

If these kids don't like the system then it's simply, join Lavar Ball's league lol lol lol. If something doesn't change, i suspect someone is going to offer a solution sooner than later. Not sure if anyone has heard of the Big 3 League that uses mostly recently retired NBA players but i could see some kind of league formed for 18 year olds who want to get paid now not later but also stay in the United States.....

Just a matter of time, someone is going to form and fund it if no changes are made...
                  I post in peace!!!

Comment

I don't think there are a massive amount of funds available.

Basketball is kind of a niche sport. The funds the NCAA has are mostly from television rights for the NCAA Tournament. If that weren't as massive as it is the NCAA would be cash-strapped.

Nobody really wants to watch basketball played by these kids unless they're attached to our team. The fact that they have Kentucky on their jerseys changes everything. If they were playing for the Don King Blitzers then nobody tunes in for that. Thus your money is gone.

Basketball's just not popular enough to sustain anything other than the NBA and college basketball. And college basketball only thrives in areas like ours. And the NBA only thrives in certain markets; a lot of these franchises are not really raking in the dough.

This is why the G-League will never, ever catch on.

Comment

I don't think the G league has to catch on for it to be successful, though. It just has to get players who see it as a viable alternative to college. If the NCAA committees keep taking this hardline stance against players who want to leave after a year, that may become a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                        I don't think the G league has to catch on for it to be successful, though. It just has to get players who see it as a viable alternative to college. If the NCAA committees keep taking this hardline stance against players who want to leave after a year, that may become a possibility.
                        I'm dubious that it can succeed. It hasn't so far and they've tried to rebrand it, and I think it'll flounder again. It's unwatchable even for big-time basketball guys, and I think the players and their families know this. You'll see a smattering of players jump there but it will never have the platform college basketball has on our level, where a player can bank on millions of eyes on him every time he takes the floor.

That maximum exposure only comes from tradition and interest. There isn't enough interest in the Delaware 87ers and there never will be. Basketball as a sport just doesn't have that much national popularity.

But the NCAA could pay its players on the level of what they're talking about in the G-League, but it looks like we're a few years from that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I'm dubious that it can succeed. It hasn't so far and they've tried to rebrand it, and I think it'll flounder again. It's unwatchable even for big-time basketball guys, and I think the players and their families know this. You'll see a smattering of players jump there but it will never have the platform college basketball has on our level, where a player can bank on millions of eyes on him every time he takes the floor.

That maximum exposure only comes from tradition and interest. There isn't enough interest in the Delaware 87ers and there never will be. Basketball as a sport just doesn't have that much national popularity.

But the NCAA could pay its players on the level of what they're talking about in the G-League, but it looks like we're a few years from that happening.
                          There will never be interest in the AAA Louisville Bats or the Dayton Dragons either, but they don't operate these clubs solely to drive a profit. Ultimately, I don't think the NCAA needs to pay players on the level of the G-League, they just need to allow players to make money while they're in school. Let Wenyen go sign autographs or something at a car dealership a few Saturdays and make it to where he doesn't feel such a pressing need to take a gamble on his future.

What's going to drive any emergence of an NCAA alternative is the NCAA shooting itself in the foot, which they seem happy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

There will never be interest in the AAA Louisville Bats or the Dayton Dragons either, but they don't operate these clubs solely to drive a profit.
                            There's a built-in tradition for minor league baseball though. Louisville's history with the Redbirds is stitched in to the fabric of the city.

These G-League teams don't have that, nor will they have huge coffers from which to paly players. You ever watched a G-League game? They're on ESPN sometimes. Nobody watches that.

I just think it's an untenable situation and college is far superior. But what Carter's mother is saying is that its superiority allows the NCAA to trap many of these players. They know college basketball is still the best game in town, so they keep up this absurd illusion of amateurism.

A player like Wendell Carter is the perfect example of a player who needed Duke. He might've gone the G-League route and struggled against those grown men and you not hear much about him. Or just take a year off like Robinson and work out on his own. He wouldn't have been a lottery pick; his first round status in this draft might even be in question.

He and players like him should be compensated for that, because they're a major reason fans are shelling out this money and why the networks are writing big fat checks. Those networks don't write those checks if Wendell Carter plays for the Maine Red Claws.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

There's a built-in tradition for minor league baseball though. Louisville's history with the Redbirds is stitched in to the fabric of the city.

These G-League teams don't have that, nor will they have huge coffers from which to paly players. You ever watched a G-League game? They're on ESPN sometimes. Nobody watches that.

I just think it's an untenable situation and college is far superior. But what Carter's mother is saying is that its superiority allows the NCAA to trap many of these players. They know college basketball is still the best game in town, so they keep up this absurd illusion of amateurism.

A player like Wendell Carter is the perfect example of a player who needed Duke. He might've gone the G-League route and struggled against those grown men and you not hear much about him. Or just take a year off like Robinson and work out on his own. He wouldn't have been a lottery pick; his first round status in this draft might even be in question.

He and players like him should be compensated for that, because they're a major reason fans are shelling out this money and why the networks are writing big fat checks. Those networks don't write those checks if Wendell Carter plays for the Maine Red Claws.
                              Agree with what you're saying, but my point is that there's could be a sea change among these players if the NCAA continues its hostility towards them. Does anyone care if Wendell Carter alone goes to the Maine Red Claws? No, but if a bunch of guys start following him, all of a sudden you've got something.

I think if the NCAA enacts rules that essentially scapegoat one-and-dones and hold schools responsible for having the gall to recruit them, you're gonna see more of those guys start skipping college. I wouldn't go as far as Ms. Carter, but the NCAA system sucks and needs to get MORE friendly toward these guys.

Comment

Mom of Duke player says NCAA system resembles 'slavery and the prison system'

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X