Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Checkerboards

Yes, I'm talking about uniforms.

There's been a lot of talk about this the past week after Mitch Barnhart publicly said a lot of players like the checkerboard look. Some folks hate them, some are neutral, and others are like "I can't believe you're talking about something so stupid."

My take: they're the worst. Whoever came up with the checkerboard look--likely some marketing lackey at Nike--should receive a good kick to the shins. I desperately hope they go away before next season and we can forget our guys ever wore them.

Your thoughts?

Not my favorite but they didn't bother me. I definitely didn't think they were nearly as horrible as most people.

Comment

I'm not as opposed to the checkerboards as I am, say, the denim atrocities (or pretty much any of the Converse takes on our uniform). With that said, they're still pretty terrible.

Kentucky's uniforms should look like these, every year, without question:

Comment

1. I don't care for the look either. Say what you will about the Secretariat / horse racing connection, my initial reaction was that we are trying to copy UT's checkerboards. No, no, a thousands times no!

2. I also don't care for the cut of our BB home whites, the V-neck and skinny straps look feminine. Sorry for the non-PC part.

3. Third, and final gripe: It looks like on both our home BB and FB whites have thin gray trim around the blue numbers and letters. Lose the trim; the sharper contrast is , IMO, much better.

Comment

When I think checkerboards I think Tennessee. We ain't Tennessee so we don't need them. I hope they don't go to that look.
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

The first iteration of them I liked, but at some point the checkerboard has become more prominent and it's awful. I agree too that I don't care for the skinny straps that catgrad7072 is talking about.

I agree with KC - that's what a UK uniform should look like.
            There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

I liked the checkers best when it was just a little pattern on the waistband (as a representation of the championship seasons I believe).

Those were some pretty sharp uniforms, minus the weird priest-collar thing.

Comment

Comment

Or the icicle shorts, of which I owned three pair.

Comment

I'm in favor of bringing back the denim though.
                    There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

I'm old school but when they started wearing the baggy britches, I lost all interest in what they look like.
                      John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                        I'm old school but when they started wearing the baggy britches, I lost all interest in what they look like.
                        Then you must love the recent return to the more slim fitting jerseys, then.

Comment

You can’t wear denim when you’re playing “junk basketball”

(hat tip to jworld)

Comment

I can't wait for the first couple years after Cal leaves and we start playing junk basketball with actual junk players.

JWorld's head will explode.

Comment

More than anything I miss the UK blue denim sneakers. Those are the best basketball shoes of all time and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Comment

The Checkerboards

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X