UK and Utah to Play a 2 Game Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK and Utah to Play a 2 Game Series

Holy Rick Majerus! UK has agreed to a two game series with Utah for the next two seasons. They play in Rupp this season and in Las Vegas next season. Majerus is turning over in his grave at this very moment.

https://247sports.com/college/kentuc...ntuckyWildcats

Kentucky fan since 1971.

This is a surprise. I wonder which school approached the other.
    John 3:3

Comment

R.I.P. Rick Majerus.

We always kicked his teeth in, but he seemed like an affable guy.

Comment

^ I agree...I always liked him

Comment

Utah fans just had to hate Kentucky. Six times UK knocked Utah out of the NCAA tournament between 1993 and 2005. That's sort of amazing to think about. You would think the law of averages would have got them one win in that time. I can remember the last time Utah did beat UK. It was in the 1976 UKIT. A Utah player,I think it was Jeff Judkins, hit a shot at the buzzer to beat them.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Utah.html
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Utah is usually pretty solid. They went 23-12 and made it to the NIT championship last year, but they lose their top two scorers.

If I had a choice I'd rather have BYU on the schedule, but this is a solid game against a power conference team. Would much rather see that than the worthless mid-week paycheck game against Nobody State.

Comment

The thing I remember about the times UK played Utah and beat them, was the difference in athleticism of the two teams. Utah always had Big's who were pretty good, but they were slow and their whole team seemed out of shape. The games were fairly close until late, when they ran out of gas.
              John 3:3

Comment

There may've been some athletic disparities but I don't think they were that severe.

That '98 Utah team that Kentucky beat had two longtime NBA players: Miller and Doleac played a combined 33 seasons in the NBA.

They had another guy named Hanno Mottola who I thought at the time was their best player. He played for a couple of years with the Hawks.

Majerus sort of built a Gonzaga out there before health problems began to hinder his career. Legendary coach and talent scout.

Comment

Should be a couple of better-than-average preseason games for us.

Majerus was a solid coach and a great commentator. His offcolor comment about Ashley Judd is permanently seared into my brain.

Also: "When I die, they might as well bury me at the finish line at Churchill Downs so they can run over me one more time."

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                    The thing I remember about the times UK played Utah and beat them, was the difference in athleticism of the two teams. Utah always had Big's who were pretty good, but they were slow and their whole team seemed out of shape. The games were fairly close until late, when they ran out of gas.
                    I remember Doleac running out of gas in the 98 championship game. He missed a point blank layup in the 2nd half and I knew UK had them then. But they had good talent and Majerus was a great coach. he was starting to build something good at St. Louis before he died.
                    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

UK and Utah to Play a 2 Game Series

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X