Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roster

    I'm going all Chrishill here. It's looking like our roster next year will be:

    Hagans
    Green
    Johnson
    PJ
    Travis
    Richards
    IQ
    Herro Baker
    Montgomery
    Calipari
    Payne

    Who's the starters?

  • #2
    Washington
    Travis
    Johnson
    Hagans
    Green

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
      Washington
      Travis
      Johnson
      Hagans
      Green
      I agree. That would give us IQ, Baker, Herro, EJ, and Richards as their respective backups. I'm not implying we see a platoon, but the possibility is there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
        Washington
        Travis
        Johnson
        Hagans
        Green
        That's a top 10 in America starting line-up.

        What could separate Kentucky is the growth of Nick Richards and whether or not EJ Montgomery is a legitimate top 10 player who is as skilled as people say he is.

        If Richards doesn't grow as much as he needs to, if Montgomery isn't ready to contribute, and if Baker and Herro are inconsistent from outside then UK will not hit its ceiling. But the pieces are all here for #9 assuming Travis and Hagans are a go.

        Comment


        • #5
          I want to post opinions, but I have a wait and see attitude about all this.
          John 3:3

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree, Lighthouse. There's been several times, since Cal has been here, that I thought we had all the pieces and it didn't materialize.
            Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
              I agree, Lighthouse. There's been several times, since Cal has been here, that I thought we had all the pieces and it didn't materialize.
              What years specifically did you think we had all the pieces?

              Comment


              • #8
                2015 definitely.

                2010 probably. That team just couldn't shoot and if you can't shoot you'll always be toeing the precipice of an L.

                Exceeded expectations in 2011. Took an all-freshmen starting line-up to the title game in 2014, so I think that was probably exceeding expectations.

                Of all those teams this upcoming team--with Travis--strangely will have the most experience. If Travis comes I'm not sure Cal will have had this much experience maybe since that really good Memphis team his next-to-last year there.

                What this team won't have is a Wall/Davis sort.

                Comment


                • #9
                  This team is going to be really good. Not sure if they are great.

                  I still think, in order to be a hugely successful team, you need a star. Every team that wins has a superstar.

                  Right now, I don't see a superstar on this UK team. A lot of good to very good players but nobody that I think is at the star level. Maybe one will emerge.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post
                    This team is going to be really good. Not sure if they are great.

                    I still think, in order to be a hugely successful team, you need a star. Every team that wins has a superstar.

                    Right now, I don't see a superstar on this UK team. A lot of good to very good players but nobody that I think is at the star level. Maybe one will emerge.
                    I'm not sure the last two title teams had a bona fide superstar? Jackson and Jalen Brunson were very close.

                    I don't disagree that you have to have multiple players who can take over a game, but we've seen all stripes of players like that come through college. We saw Duke win a title with John Scheyer playing point guard and two guys who never shot playing the 4 and 5.

                    Having said all this, I think Keldon Johnson could be a take-any-game-over player. Washington could but has to be more of a guy that's an absolute lock for a double-double rather than a double-double every five games type of player. But if you're looking for a Davis--no, there's surely not one on this roster.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      2015 definitely.

                      2010 probably. That team just couldn't shoot and if you can't shoot you'll always be toeing the precipice of an L.

                      Exceeded expectations in 2011. Took an all-freshmen starting line-up to the title game in 2014, so I think that was probably exceeding expectations.

                      Of all those teams this upcoming team--with Travis--strangely will have the most experience. If Travis comes I'm not sure Cal will have had this much experience maybe since that really good Memphis team his next-to-last year there.

                      What this team won't have is a Wall/Davis sort.
                      The 2015 team for sure. I'd have to go back and check the rosters on some of the others. I've learned not to try to do much from memory.
                      Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The 2015 is one of the more disappointing teams in the recent history of college basketball.

                        On a much smaller scale the 2011 team probably doesn't get enough credit from folks as a pretty significant achievement.

                        That team pretty much played six people all the time and went to the Final Four. They also beat a team that to this day I think is one of the stronger college teams after 2000: Ohio State with Sullinger.

                        2014 was also the most fun I've ever had as a Kentucky fan.

                        Still, we only have one title as we all know. Next year is sort of critical for the Cal era because we haven't been to the Final Four in four years and because Duke and Villanova have become THE show in college basketball.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                          2015 definitely.

                          2010 probably. That team just couldn't shoot and if you can't shoot you'll always be toeing the precipice of an L.

                          Exceeded expectations in 2011. Took an all-freshmen starting line-up to the title game in 2014, so I think that was probably exceeding expectations.

                          Of all those teams this upcoming team--with Travis--strangely will have the most experience. If Travis comes I'm not sure Cal will have had this much experience maybe since that really good Memphis team his next-to-last year there.

                          What this team won't have is a Wall/Davis sort.
                          I could be wrong, but I think Matt meant having all of the players we expected to, not necessarily pieces of game. Like, we thought we would have Kanter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post

                            I could be wrong, but I think Matt meant having all of the players we expected to, not necessarily pieces of game. Like, we thought we would have Kanter.
                            I think he meant that he's thought we were going to win it all before and we failed, so we might as well wait and see what happens.

                            Obviously I agree with that. Nobody hangs banners for rosters. I do think we'll be significantly better than last season with Travis and Hagans.

                            All you can really ask for with college basketball is to be in the mix. It isn't like college football where you really need to build a rock-solid near-juggernaut that's deep everywhere. College basketball is only about assembling the right kind of roster, and then you hope you have enough to win six games. Anything can happen when you get to March because the game is so impossible to predict.

                            Looking at it in May and calling shots is on its face silly. But this is a message board. We're Kentucky fans. I don't think we have to adhere to cold logic all the time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Team chemistry as always, will be very important.

                              Comment

                              Roster

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X