C.M. Newton, Kentucky, Alabama and SEC legend, dies at 88

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C.M. Newton, Kentucky, Alabama and SEC legend, dies at 88

LEXINGTON, Ky. — C.M. Newton, an Adolph Rupp disciple, Naismith Hall of Fame member and legendary figure in the history of Kentucky athletics and the Southeastern Conference, died Monday at the age of 88.
    Newton pitched for the Wildcats baseball team and won a national championship as a reserve guard for Rupp’s 1951 basketball team. He was basketball coach at Transylvania in Lexington — on Rupp’s recommendation — then at Alabama and Vanderbilt, winning SEC Coach of the Year six times.
    In 1989, he was hired as athletic director at his alma mater, serving until 2000, and led Kentucky out of the darkness of NCAA probation. He entrusted Rick Pitino for that tall order and two decades later recommended current AD Mitch Barnhart should hire John Calipari, which the coach believes sealed that deal.
    “C.M. Newton is a giant in the history of the University of Kentucky, the Southeastern Conference and in the sport of basketball,” Barnhart said Monday. “He returned to his alma mater when he was needed most and provided stability, leadership and growth for UK athletics for more than a decade. His coaching accomplishments and honors at Transylvania, Alabama and Vanderbilt speak for themselves.
    “His contributions to the sport of basketball continue to this day, [but] most of all is the impact he had on thousands of people as a coach, mentor and friend. He understood what it meant to be a servant leader and will be dearly missed. Our condolences and best wishes go out to his wife, Nancy, his children Deborah, Tracy and Martin, and the family and friends.”
    Four days before Newton’s death, Calipari posted a message on his personal website asking fans to pray for him and noting that “C.M. has always treated me as part of his family.” While their time at Kentucky did not intersect, Calipari always made it a point to find Newton and hug him after games at Alabama, where Newton has lived for several years.
    That became a ritual of sorts for nearly every visiting coach in Tuscaloosa.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/...ec-legend-dies
    Before you abuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes.

Great leader who may have saved UK basketball when it was in the throws of deep scandal after the 1989 season. He also integrated Transylvania and Alabama basketball not to mention the entire SEC. His 1973 Alabama team was the first to start an all black lineup. He also was the President of USA basketball and help get together the Dream team for the 1992 Olympics. There may be a lot you can criticize him for but he was right for UK at the time. RIP CM Newton.
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Always liked CM, prayers....
      I post in peace!!!

Comment

No matter what is laid on his legacy, I always thought CM Newton built Alabama basketball to a top ten power, took Vanderbilt to great heights, and quite frankly saved Kentucky basketball.
        always a gentleman.
        God's blessings with the family and friends.
        Thanks Coach Newton.

Comment

Sad to hear. Praying for his family.
          John 3:3

Comment

I have heard lots of good stuff about him--nothing negative--first class guy through&through!!!!!

Comment

What a legend....very sad and prayers to his family

Comment

I don't know what would've become of Kentucky basketball had he not been at the helm of in the 80's, but he is as responsible for turning around the program as anyone else. God bless him.

Comment

C.M. Newton, Kentucky, Alabama and SEC legend, dies at 88

Collapse
                Working...
                X