Kentucky basketball Hall of Famer Frank Ramsey dies at age 86

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky basketball Hall of Famer Frank Ramsey dies at age 86

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Former Kentucky basketball and Boston Celtics star Frank Ramsey died Sunday.
    A funeral director at the Barnett Strother Funeral Home in Madisonville confirmed the news to the Lexington Herald-Leader.
    Ramsey, 86, was a member of UK’s 1951 national championship team and its 25-0 1953-54 team. He was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1981. Both UK and the Boston Celtics have retired his jersey.
    At UK, Ramsey received Associated Press All-American honors in 1951 (third-team), 1952 (second-team) and 1954 (second-team). He was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference selection in all three years at Kentucky.
    As a sophomore, Ramsey averaged 10.1 points and 12.7 rebounds per game to help lead UK to the 1951 national championship. What would have been Ramsey’s senior season in 1952-53 was canceled after several UK players, not including Ramsey, were implicated in a point-shaving scandal. Ramsey and classmates Cliff Hagan and Lou Tsioropoulos returned for the 1953-54 season despite having graduated and being selected in the NBA draft and led the Wildcats to a perfect 25-0 record and No. 1 ranking in the AP poll.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...medium=twitter
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Ramsey was a great player and a great man. He owned a lot of Madisonville and was well respected there. He will be missed.
    John 3:3

Comment

Rest in peace. God's grace to friends and family.

Comment

Sad news to hear. Although he was a year or two before my time at UK, he's still one of my favorite players. He's the number 2 all time rebounder in UK history which doesn't seem possible. Regardless if he played in Lexington or Boston, he won championships and lots of them. A baller and ultimate team player. RIP to a great son of KY.

Comment

One of the many forgotten great players in UK history. He was one of the main cogs for the 1951 championship team and then became the first in a long succession of great 6th man tradition players of the Boston Celtics. RIP to another UK basketball great.
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

When I was into the NBA, I was a huge Celtics fan. I remember the teams he played on. Those were the golden years of Celtic bb.
            Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Comment

Kentucky basketball Hall of Famer Frank Ramsey dies at age 86

Collapse
            Working...
            X