How the forums have changed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the forums have changed.

Was noticing that 7 of the first ten post (before this one) were NBA or NBA related. Just how times have changed.

Originally posted by Westtncat View Post
    Was noticing that 7 of the first ten post (before this one) were NBA or NBA related. Just how times have changed.
    Not much UK stuff to talk about in the summer months.

As long as I've been part of the forums there've been a smattering of NBA posts over the summer. Nothing wrong with that. Anybody is free to start a UK-related thread to see where it will go. But until they start preparing for the Bahamas there's not much to report.

Comment

Originally posted by Westtncat View Post
      In all fairness, Cal has been a part of this change adding so many UK players to the NBA it's hard not to notice. I like the NBA but i also like to observe the development of our guys who play here a year and move on to the next level. You look at players like Skal, Goodwin, etc, it makes you wonder what could have been had the system been set up different. I also love watching a guy like Anthony Davis go off for 53 points in a Allstar game agains the best players in the world, D. Cousins extending his game beyond the arc, etc. etc...

Anyways, agree with your post, yes there is more and more of that now.
      I post in peace!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

In all fairness, Cal has been a part of this change adding so many UK players to the NBA it's hard not to notice.
        Yep.

My interest in those players pales in comparison with my interest in Kentucky basketball...but I'm still interested somewhat, and in the summer it's fun to talk about.

My son (14) has really picked up an interest in the NBA. He knows rosters and contracts and who was signed by whom. I think that's a good thing; it means that the sport itself might be more popular than it was 10 or 15 years ago. When kids stop talking about the game then the sport will start to wane; that seemed to happen with baseball starting in the late '90s. Now it's not uncommon to run into kids who don't even know the rules of baseball. I like the fact that basketball is becoming more of a thing that kids talk about. That's nothing but good.

However, when UK basketball starts cranking up in October we're all in on that.

If you love the sport then you can love bits and pieces of all the sport at every level of play. We're going to the big AAU tournament this weekend. I'm fired up about that. But in the end it all comes back to the Cats, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Yep.

My interest in those players pales in comparison with my interest in Kentucky basketball...but I'm still interested somewhat, and in the summer it's fun to talk about.

My son (14) has really picked up an interest in the NBA. He knows rosters and contracts and who was signed by whom. I think that's a good thing; it means that the sport itself might be more popular than it was 10 or 15 years ago. When kids stop talking about the game then the sport will start to wane; that seemed to happen with baseball starting in the late '90s. Now it's not uncommon to run into kids who don't even know the rules of baseball. I like the fact that basketball is becoming more of a thing that kids talk about. That's nothing but good.

If you love the sport then you can love bits and pieces of all the sport at every level of play. We're going to the big AAU tournament this weekend. I'm fired up about that. But in the end it all comes back to the Cats, of course.
          There's definitely a generational shift happening in sports interest. I believe in 15 years, basketball and soccer will be the big sports we'll be talking about in America. I believe one of those will supplant the NFL - probably the NBA.

There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

The head injury thing is going to hurt football bad. Already has. It will be a slow degradation until I don't think the sport will be played much at all in thirty years or so. Not in the way it's played now.

Basketball is driven by the individual while the NFL has always been about the team. With basketball it's almost like you're talking about pro wrestlers; kids are fans of players sometimes and not the teams they play on. This makes it so that there has to be a new flock of great players entering the league all the time so that those new players can supplant the old.

Comment

Yep.

I have said it a 1000 times but i love the Celtics but Kentucky will always be first. Once Kentucky starts playing, i am all about my Cats picking and i will watch a few C's games but not until Kentucky's season is over.
              I post in peace!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

There's definitely a generational shift happening in sports interest. I believe in 15 years, basketball and soccer will be the big sports we'll be talking about in America. I believe one of those will supplant the NFL - probably the NBA.
                I am not that much into soccer yet but i man i can appreciate the crowds and those horns blowing nonstop, it's a good chaotic type of enviroment with much enthusiasm.
                I post in peace!!!

Comment

The head injury thing is going to hurt football bad. Already has. It will be a slow degradation until I don't think the sport will be played much at all in thirty years or so. Not in the way it's played now.

Basketball is driven by the individual while the NFL has always been about the team. With basketball it's almost like you're talking about pro wrestlers; kids are fans of players sometimes and not the teams they play on. This makes it so that there has to be a new flock of great players entering the league all the time so that those new players can supplant the old.
                  Obviously basketball is identity driven, but what's behind the resurgence in the NBA is how much fun it is to watch. The Sixers/Celtics series was a blast to watch. Both teams have good players, and even the ones who aren't stars are really good. Team basketball is just so much better than it was 5 years ago.
                  There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

The one thing about the NBA is that these players makes shots time and time again that have you shaking your head. I watched a video highlight of Tracy McGrady the other day and he scored 13 points in 33 seconds, yes i said that correct, just unbelievable to watch. Not a Warriors fan but watching Kevin Durant hits shots in the Finals this year or S. Curry launching from space is just crazy to watch, it's like watching a video game with all the attributes jacked up to 99 playing on easy level, just crazy....
                    I post in peace!!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

I am not that much into soccer yet but i man i can appreciate the crowds and those horns blowing nonstop, it's a good chaotic type of enviroment with much enthusiasm.
                      Cincinnati has a processional soccer team in its 3rd season that will be entering into MLS next year. It's crazy how popular it is here - Nippert Stadium is sold out almost every game, and the environment at the games are a blast. There's a section called The Bailey that is similar to the eRupption zone or the Cameron Crazies that just goes wild. The atmosphere is very much like a college basketball game in that regard. FC Cincinnati is getting a dedicated stadium for in 2021.

I don't understand soccer all that much, but it's really fun to watch.

Comment

Cincinnati has a processional soccer team in its 3rd season that will be entering into MLS next year. It's crazy how popular it is here - Nippert Stadium is sold out almost every game, and the environment at the games are a blast. There's a section called The Bailey that is similar to the eRupption zone or the Cameron Crazies that just goes wild. The atmosphere is very much like a college basketball game in that regard. FC Cincinnati is getting a dedicated stadium for in 2021.

I don't understand soccer all that much, but it's really fun to watch.
                        All my friends in Australia, England, Ireland, and across the globe love soccer the way we love our basketball, it's mandatory in some of those places. Hopefully the game will continue to grow here and we as a National team can compete against the world....
                        I post in peace!!!

Comment

In the next 50 years,maybe less,football will totally change IMO. It already has to a degree. With more and more evidence that most people that play football any length time get CTE you are going to a vast reduction in parents allowing their kids to play. The big game changer will be when they can do a CTE test on a living person to see if they have it. My guess is when this test is finally approved by the FDA or whoever approves these things, that's when football will cease to exist as we know it today.
                          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post

In the next 50 years,maybe less,football will totally change IMO. It already has to a degree. With more and more evidence that most people that play football any length time get CTE you are going to a vast reduction in parents allowing their kids to play. The big game changer will be when they can do a CTE test on a living person to see if they have it. My guess is when this test is finally approved by the FDA or whoever approves these things, that's when football will cease to exist as we know it today.
                            Agreed. I have heard people suggest that removing the helmets and padding and going to more of a rugby style of uniform could help. I guess the theory being that when it hurts you just as much as them to deliver a tackle, you slow down.

Comment

I've heard on ESPN that the NFL is king overall in America but in the under 20 generation the NBA has already overtaken it as the most popular league.

My 2 boys are evidence of this. They play NBA apps and pretty much could tell you every player on every team. I'll never care that much about it but do keep up with former Cats pretty well.
                              Last edited by Catsrock; 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

How the forums have changed.

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X