Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Elam Ending (A New Way to End Basketball Games)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Elam Ending (A New Way to End Basketball Games)

I thought this was interesting. This may be the future of the game.

My only issue is that it takes the clock out of the game. You would no longer have buzzer-beaters, but rather games would end sort of like they're played on playgrounds.

But the brutal slog as teams go to the foul line again and again would be cut out.

It's interesting to think about.

https://www.thetournament.com/news/t...-tbt2018-games

Basically the rule is that after the first under-four television time-out, the game clock is turned off. Seven points are added to the leader's score. The first team to hit that score wins the game.

The more I think about it the more interesting it sounds. It was created by a basketball superfan who got tired of watching foul shots late in games. His research showed that very rarely do teams come back when they try to foul anyway.

As I said, the fact that streaking-to-the-basket buzzer beaters would be taken out is the only drawback. But maybe the benefits would outweight those drawbacks.

Comment

I have to think about this for awhile. The rule would be especially hard for a team down by double digits to come back before the leading team scores a set 7 points. We see that every once in awhile now. But, the idea is intriguing.
      John 3:3

Comment

This is like proposals to have a home run derby in baseball at the end of 9 innings of a tie game. It will never happen and kind of crazy. Hockey and soccer have shoot outs for a tie game and I think the traditionalist fans of both sports hate it. IMO it does cheapen the outcomes of games by doing something totally different to decide the outcome than how it was played in regulation.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

If the officials would simply call an intentional foul just that, it would take some of the boredom away from the last few minutes. But as usual, for some reason the NCAA instructs them not to go by the rules as written. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
            If the officials would simply call an intentional foul just that, it would take some of the boredom away from the last few minutes. But as usual, for some reason the NCAA instructs them not to go by the rules as written. Again.
            I've always wondered this. Why in the world is a player clearly fouling a ball handler to stop the clock not called intentional? I've also wondered why a QB spiking the ball to stop the clock isn't intentional grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post

I've always wondered this. Why in the world is a player clearly fouling a ball handler to stop the clock not called intentional? I've also wondered why a QB spiking the ball to stop the clock isn't intentional grounding.
              By rule, when the QB attempts a pass a receiver has to be in the vicinity, and the TE fills that role. Also in BB, a player must make a play on the ball for a foul not to be considered intentional.

Comment

Same reason why in baseball when they throw at hitters to try and back them off the plate they aren't thrown out of the game.

Because it's an unspoken rule that teams have to have a way to stop the clock in basketball.

I don't like it when they start to parade to the line...but as I read yesterday (maybe in the article I posted): no sport is as much a slave to the clock as basketball.

A lot of times players are taught to "go for the ball" to make it look like an unintentional foul, when we all know it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Same reason why in baseball when they throw at hitters to try and back them off the plate they aren't thrown out of the game.

Because it's an unspoken rule that teams have to have a way to stop the clock in basketball.

I don't like it when they start to parade to the line...but as I read yesterday (maybe in the article I posted): no sport is as much a slave to the clock as basketball.

A lot of times players are taught to "go for the ball" to make it look like an unintentional foul, when we all know it isn't.
                  True. What I was referring to is when a player simply slaps a opponent on the rear or back and makes no effort to play the ball. By rule, that is intentional and should be called as so.

Comment

In the NFL a QB can just "clock" the ball now. It may be that way in college too, I'm not sure. So a QB can legally stop the clock at will.

Sometime in the 80's college basketball tried giving the teams the option to either shoot foul shots or take the ball out of bounds. They mostly took it our of bounds and teams just kept fouling and fights started happening. The NCAA quickly rescinded that rule. I think the rule only lasted a month or so. I think this is just one of the flaws of the sport that has no real way of being fixed. Having a shot clock has helped some. But still its done a lot and can bog a game down.
                    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Don't like this proposal at all The college game is fine as it is, except for recent innovations (like the monitor) supposedly adopted to "improve" the game.

Comment

I don't deny it's interesting to think about but that's about it. I wouldn't vote for it. Basketball is a great game as it is and as Lighthouse said...call the game as the rules are written and all is good.

Comment

The Elam Ending (A New Way to End Basketball Games)

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X