Ranking UK's Top 50 WIns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking UK's Top 50 WIns

Mark Story has started a series in which he is going to rank UK's top 50 wins of all time. This one starts it with 41 to 50. What are your top wins you have witnessed?

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-...215288895.html
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

There is such a long list. Obviously the championship games are the best. But other than those off the top of my head. The 31 point comeback against LSU. The Brassow game winner in Maui. 98 NCAA tournament vs Duke and Stanford. Cousin's tying shot vs Miss St in the SEC tournament. Malik Monk vs UNC. Tayshaun's 3 point shooting vs UNC. But I would probably put the 2014 Elite 8 games vs UL & Michigan at the top only because I was there and saw them in person.

Comment

I think 2003's UK vs. #1 Florida has to be up there also. They just completely tore Florida a new one. They could've won that game by 40 had Tubby not let his foot off the gas.
      "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

My top games are the 1975 game against Indiana in the Mideast regional final. IU was undefeated and Bob Knight was the coach. Except for a championship it didn't get any better than that win on that day.

1995 SEC Final against Arkansas. Just an epic game. UK came back from the dead twice that game to win in overtime. Not to mention overcoming Roderick Rhodes missing two foul shots that could have won it in regulation.

1998 Duke game. Another big comeback in an unexpected win. It set up the next game;

1998 Stanford in the Final Four. I still don't how UK won this game. Stanford was really good playing at a very high level. UK got a huge break near the end of this game when the arrow was pointing in their favor on a held ball.

1980 at LSU. Kyle Macy hits game winning shot at the buzzer in OT for the SEC championship.

1993 vs Wake Forest in the NCAA's. UK has one of the most remarkable shooting exhibitions in the 1st half as they totally destroyed Wake Forest. I will always remember Al McGuire saying "I give up. UK is just too good."

1990 vs LSU. UK's little guys in Pitino's first year beat a huge LSU team that had Shaq,Stanley Roberts and Chris Jackson. Another very satisfying win against Dale Brown.

You can pick any of the wins against Wichita State,Louisville,Michigan or Wisconsin in the 2014 run to the Final Four. All exciting and satisfying wins.

This doesn't include the four championships I have seen them win. All of those are special and could never be replaced.

Tons more but these stick out more than most for me.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Others of note:
          -2018 against WVU on the road. Coming back from 17 down to win in a really tough place.
          -2011 against Ohio State
          -2012 against U of L in the Final Four.
          -I still have no idea how we beat Notre Dame in the 2015 Regional Final

Comment

A couple others I would add:
            2012 beating IU in the tournament after that regular season loss
            Beating UL in the 84 tournament. That game was as hyped up as any I can recall.

Comment

Wow.....too many.
              I was there in 78 at Freedom Hall for Kentucky/ Notre Dame....Macy's here I am party.
              the comeback against LSU.
              the Unforgettables vs Tennessee on senior night.
              the four titles in my life....most amazing in its improbability was 98.
              Indiana in the NCAA to break the streak.
              96 dismantling teams roaring to the final four.
              98 vs Duke AND Stanford.

Comment

Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
                Reminds me of the 2012 season when we beat UNC in Rupp. That was such an outstanding game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                  I think 2003's UK vs. #1 Florida has to be up there also. They just completely tore Florida a new one. They could've won that game by 40 had Tubby not let his foot off the gas.
                  That's a good one! Heck, even Antwan Barber had a good game!
                  No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
                    Wasn't that game in Rupp?
                    No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

2010 SEC tourney vs Miss St
                      The 2015 UCLA debacle
                      Jodie's 54 vs Tennessee
                      2012 against UNC with the Davis block

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

Wasn't that game in Rupp?
                        Yes it was. One of the last years the regionals were played in which you could play on your home court in the NCAA's.
                        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Here is 31-40 from Story. A couple of UL games in this list. Also one I thought about putting in my top 10. The UK/Kansas game from the 78-79 season. UK comes back from 6 down with 31 seconds left to win. This was before the three point line so it was as nearly a miracle as you can get.

Also in this article is the Florida State game in the 78 NCAA's in which Joe B benched three of his starters after halftime. The all time grittiest coaching decision that worked. If it didn't work Joe B would have undoubtiley been fired.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-...215296540.html
                          Last edited by KevinHall; 07-25-2018, 07:08 AM.
                          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Here's 21-30. It has the 78 Final Four game against Arkansas,the blowout of Florida in 2003,Michigan game of 2014 and the Notre Dame game in 2015 among others.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-...215302275.html
                            Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Here's 11-20. Lots of familiar games in this one. 1998 finals is one. The 1979 SEC tournament game was a great game. At the time it was considered the greatest game ever played in the south. Also the 1978 Michigan State game. I think I was more tense watching that game than I ever have been before or since then. One of the biggest pressure packed games I can ever remember. I would assume tomorrow will be his top 10.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-...215307520.html
                              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Ranking UK's Top 50 WIns

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X