Your Top Three: PG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Top Three: PG

Just something to pass the offseason time. Who would you rank as the three best point guards during your lifetime?

1. Wayne Turner- two championships, should have had three straight, was Mr. Clutch, and until Hansbrough had the most NCAA wins of any college player.
    2. John Wall- brought the program back to the forefront, overall handled his time here and the pressure on him very well, and was a true team player. Our first #1 pick ever.
    3. De'Aaron Fox- in my opinion he was awesome. Electric, team player, busted his bottom, and was just plain fun to watch. He looked like he was enjoying every minute. I wish he could have won a national title.

Who are yours?

1. Tyler Ulis
    2. Anthony Epps
    3. De'Aaron Fox

I'm too young to remember Macy.

As for John Wall, I didn't care for 1 on 5 drives and lack of jump shot.
    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

My fan time?
      Anthony Epps
      Kyle Macy
      Wayne Turner

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
        My fan time?
        Anthony Epps
        Kyle Macy
        Wayne Turner
        I'm glad to see Epps getting love, I think he is generally underrated.

Comment

He played hard and smart. He was a free throw away from being the point on back to back teams.
          Macy....the 78 team according to Hall wasn't as good as the 77 team. Not as focused, not as hungry. The difference was Macy.
          Wayne Turner at one time held the record for number of NCAA games played. Ugly shot. Free throws were an adventure. BUT gave it all he had and got two rings...one from that vastly improbable 98 crew.

Comment

Macy
            Turner
            Ulis
            Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
              As for John Wall, I didn't care for 1 on 5 drives and lack of jump shot.
              I think you're undervaluing all the things that John Wall did, especially in the back half of that year. He's still the best player to play for Kentucky under the Cal regime, behind Anthony Davis. Sort've like Steph Curry; he does so many things well that it's sometimes easy to forget that he's a point guard.

Since I've been watching:

1) Wall
              2) Ulis
              3) Knight

Honorable mention to: Epps, Turner, Fox, Hawkins.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

I think you're undervaluing all the things that John Wall did, especially in the back half of that year. He's still the best player to play for Kentucky under the Cal regime, behind Anthony Davis.

Since I've been watching:

1) Wall
                2) Ulis
                3) Knight

Honorable mention to: Epps, Turner, Fox, Hawkins.
                I know.

I appreciate what John Wall meant to the program and I acknowlege that he was probably the most or second most talented player of the Cal era. Still, he is way down the list of my favorite UK PGs.

Comment

Ulis
                  Wall
                  Davender

I was a massive Davender fan. At the time of his death in 2016, he was the only UK player to amass 1500 points and 400 assists. He was good at defense and is in the top 10 in steals. I keep saying it, but he was the most underrated and most unappreciated player in UK history, IMO.
                  Last edited by Blue Heaven; 07-27-2018, 03:32 PM.
                  No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

In this order....

1) Kyle Macy
                    2) Wayne Turner
                    3) Dirk Minniefield

Comment

1. Fox
                      2. Epps
                      3 Cliff Hawkins
                      John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                        1. Fox
                        2. Epps
                        3 Cliff Hawkins
                        Interesting about Hawkins. I liked his energy and skill, but I always thought he played a little... reckless with bad judgement.

Comment

I probably liked Cliff Hawkins the most of any PG ever, but as far as just being a really good point guard, I'd probably go:

1. Ulis
                          2. Wall
                          3. Turner

The difference between Ulis and Wall is very slight. Wall's turnover issues probably drop him down.

Wall was such a unique player. I posted this in another thread, but Wall's worth was really hard to "get" unless you were in the arena watching. His speed is mind-boggling and with the way the camera pans, you can't appreciate it. I was lucky to have season tickets that year and there were times Wall would outrun the other nine by a good margin. With a second year like Ulis had Wall would have broken every UK PG record on the books.

Comment

De'Aaron Fox is right there with Ulis and Wall...if you isolate the last 10 games or so of his season.

The other 20+ he was up and down. Probably one of the poorest defenders of the Cal era in terms of guys who got a ton of minutes.

But that last 10 games, including the magnum opus against UCLA, are enough to put him into the group of the best ever here.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                              De'Aaron Fox is right there with Ulis and Wall...if you isolate the last 10 games or so of his season.

The other 20+ he was up and down. Probably one of the poorest defenders of the Cal era in terms of guys who got a ton of minutes.

But that last 10 games, including the magnum opus against UCLA, are enough to put him into the group of the best ever here.
                              Fox was as good as it gets the last half of his season at UK. I didn't list him because he wasn't here for more than one year and it wasn't an entire season at a high level. But for 10 to 15 games he was sensational.
                              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Your Top Three: PG

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X