Rothstein Picks UK Third in the SEC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rothstein Picks UK Third in the SEC

Rothstein isn't as high on Kentucky as most writers, but this is a little surprising.

To his credit, the SEC is going to be tough, and Kentucky could be third in the league and still be a top ten team.

Here's his rankings:

1. Tennessee
    2. Auburn
    3. Kentucky
    4. Mississippi State
    5. LSU
    6. Florida
    7. Alabama
    8. Vanderbilt
    9. Missouri
    10. South Carolina
    11. Ole Miss
    12. Georgia
    13. Arkansas
    14. Texas A&M

I would take a wager on that...
    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

I think we will be better than that, but it's not unreasonable to pick two teams that beat us last year and return a great deal from those teams ahead of us. It's going to hinge on how much scoring the freshmen provide. We don't return much.
      "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
        We don't return much.
        I wouldn't say that.

We return a good deal, actually. Much more than Cal's teams generally return. We've got about 30 points a game back, our best rebounder, 150+ assists...and that's not factoring in Reid Travis's numbers. That's a pretty good nucleus of experience.

What we don't return are guys who played on really good teams. The 2012 team had Jones and Lamb and Miller, who'd all played in a Final Four. The '15 team had WCS and the Harrisons, who'd played in the national championship game. All these guys have experience on uneven teams. That Stanford team Reid Travis played on wasn't very good. UK was merely decent.

We also, outside of Travis, don't return anyone that was consistent last year. But most freshmen with upside aren't consistent. If they are, they go to the NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I wouldn't say that.

We return a good deal, actually. Much more than Cal's teams generally return. We've got about 30 points a game back, our best rebounder, 150+ assists...and that's not factoring in Reid Travis's numbers. That's a pretty good nucleus of experience.

What we don't return are guys who played on really good teams. The 2012 team had Jones and Lamb and Miller, who'd all played in a Final Four. The '15 team had WCS and the Harrisons, who'd played in the national championship game. All these guys have experience on uneven teams. That Stanford team Reid Travis played on wasn't very good. UK was merely decent.

We also, outside of Travis, don't return anyone that was consistent last year. But most freshmen with upside aren't consistent. If they are, they go to the NBA.
          I agree - just saying that for all our talent, a lot of our scoring is pretty unproven. I can understand how Rothstein would pick us 3rd behind two teams with more proven returning players.

Comment

Kentucky definitely doesn't have as much coming back as Tennessee and Auburn do.

Tennessee is going to return everything. Auburn lost Mustapha Herron but they're going to bring in a guy in Austin Wiley who may make a run at SEC POY.

To buy Kentucky as the best in the SEC you have to believe Washington, Green, and Richards are all going to make substantive jumps. You also have to buy Reid Travis and Keldon Johnson and a couple others are going to be all-conference types.

I tend to think all that's going to happen simply because it has in situations like this before with Cal. When we've had just a semblance of experience Cal's teams have had big years.

Comment

I hope. I think on paper this team is every bit as good as the '12 or the '15 teams, even though it may not have as gaudy a record as either of those. I think we might take a few lumps in the SEC and the OOC schedule is much tougher than either of those two years, I think.

Comment

Positive thoughts: If last years team can beat the Vols for SEC Championship then this team can. Vols are a well oiled machine so I could see us losing a game to them but not the one that truly matters.

Comment

Rothstein Picks UK Third in the SEC

Collapse
                Working...
                X