Kentucky vs Kansas in NCAA’s All-Time Starting Five Tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky vs Kansas in NCAA’s All-Time Starting Five Tournament

This is a make believe tournament the NCAA is doing on social media. The lineups they chose are really debatable. But the main reason I post it is for the one matchup. Can you even imagine Wilt Chamberlain vs Anthony Davis?

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...ve-tournament/

Yea I think I would have had Dan Issel as power forward for UK. Also quite a few I would have put above Prince. Chamberlain against Davis would have been some matchup. Chamberlain was a great offensive player. You wonder how much Davis could have slowed him down?
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Chamberlain would eat him alive...
      Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
        Chamberlain would eat him alive...
        I don't think so. Davis was way more athletic than Chamberlain, while Chamberlain was way stronger. Davis is a much better outside shooter. To build an all time starting 5, Davis would be my pick at the 5.
        John 3:3

Comment

I've heard that Chamberlain couldn't dribble the ball without looking down at it. Honestly he was probably never asked to dribble the ball. This was an age where they went down and literally "posted up" on the block.

Body- and length-wise he checks all the boxes of the modern NBA hybrid center, however, so you'd have to think he would be a force of nature in today's game.

I can't imagine Anthony Davis being eaten alive by anyone however, and even if you give that match-up to Chamberlain I think the others (outside of Pierce) go to UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I don't think so. Davis was way more athletic than Chamberlain, while Chamberlain was way stronger. Davis is a much better outside shooter. To build an all time starting 5, Davis would be my pick at the 5.
            Chamberlain was one of the most athletic players to ever play.

Comment

Chamberlain would not have eaten Davis alive. He had all kinds of problems with Bill Russell. Davis would have held his own. From what I have read about Chamberlain ( I only saw him at the very end of his career) was that he was a freak for his time. He could shoot,shoot from the outside, run, dribble well enough for someone his size. It was nearly unheard of for someone who was about 7-2 to do the things he did. He did average 50 points a game one season. That shows you how far ahead and dominant he was for his time. One thing he couldn't do well was shoot free throws. I think he was well below average in that aspect of his game.
              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                Chamberlain would not have eaten Davis alive. He had all kinds of problems with Bill Russell. Davis would have held his own. From what I have read about Chamberlain ( I only saw him at the very end of his career) was that he was a freak for his time. He could shoot,shoot from the outside, run, dribble well enough for someone his size. It was nearly unheard of for someone who was about 7-2 to do the things he did. He did average 50 points a game one season. That shows you how far ahead and dominant he was for his time. One thing he couldn't do well was shoot free throws. I think he was well below average in that aspect of his game.
                Anthony Davis, isn't Bill Russell. May never be. It is also the case that Russells Celtics dominated Wilt in NBA title wins but head to head only held a combined margin of victory of only (wait for it) 9 points total. Wilt got the better of nearly EVERY head to head match-up against Russell.

Davis was a transcendent college player and is currently and great NBA player. Wilt was THE transcendent player of his time and in a sport of athletic freaks was THE athletic freak of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Anthony Davis, isn't Bill Russell. May never be. It is also the case that Russells Celtics dominated Wilt in NBA title wins but head to head only held a combined margin of victory of only (wait for it) 9 points total. Wilt got the better of nearly EVERY head to head match-up against Russell.

Davis was a transcendent college player and is currently and great NBA player. Wilt was THE transcendent player of his time and in a sport of athletic freaks was THE athletic freak of all time.
                  Davis would hold his own. No, no one ever truly stopped Wilt in his prime. Russell may have slowed him down a little and maybe just enough to beat him for quite a few championships. I'm not usually one to say current players could play with someone like Wilt either. But I have seen enough of Davis to know he would held his own as well as anyone against him.
                  Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Prince over Mashburn, wrong. Delk and Chapman a toss up,same with Cousins over Issell but i would take a healthy Bowie over both...
                    I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Watching clips of Chamberlain is crazy. The game then and the game now might as well be different sports.

Almost impossible to get a read on how Chamberlain would stack up against players today. If you're a big man today, you better be able to play like a guard. Watching DeMarcus Cousins play for instance is insane. The guy handles the ball as well as guards did just twenty or so years ago. All those guys play out first and in second.

Comment

Russell and Chamberlain played in different era's against weaker competition in a post game era half court style game. The game now has way more talent now than ever before but i cant see Chamberlain or Russell dominating players like SHAQ or Duncan, even Olajuwon or a few others in the past 35 years..

Question is what can Russell or Chamberlain do that Davis cant do? I dont recall either with a midrange game or ability to put the ball on the floor and blow by another big. Hell Anthony Davis broke a all-star record in points a few years ago with 53 against the best players in the world. Hard to say but i would feel comfortable putting my money on Davis and never looking back...
                        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                          Watching clips of Chamberlain is crazy. The game then and the game now might as well be different sports.

Almost impossible to get a read on how Chamberlain would stack up against players today. If you're a big man today, you better be able to play like a guard. Watching DeMarcus Cousins play for instance is insane. The guy handles the ball as well as guards did just twenty or so years ago. All those guys play out first and in second.
                          No disrespect but i think players are better now. Maybe less common sense but even from a intelligence point of view, analytical data and scouting reports tell you exactly how to play a player and guys like Cousins and Davis still dominate. ...

Comment

Players are absolutely better now.

But there were some freaks of nature who came along over the years who could, with coaching/weight training/experience, compete with players now and remain at Hall of Fame levels. Wilt Chamberlain may be one of those. He definitely had the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                              Players are absolutely better now.

But there were some freaks of nature who came along over the years who could, with coaching/weight training/experience, compete with players now and remain at Hall of Fame levels. Wilt Chamberlain may be one of those. He definitely had the body.
                              Exactly, ask Larry Bird about today's player and see what he says, no comparison in his opinion. I think older players are more crafty at one thing but now players a great at many things, its just different, the game and the players that play it grew and evolved as it was suppose too....

Comment

Kentucky vs Kansas in NCAA’s All-Time Starting Five Tournament

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X