Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Announces Major Changes to Men's Basketball

The most significant:

Undrafted players can now return to school (good change).

Players can now seek representation from agents, but those agents must be certified by the school (also a good change...but it's fraught with danger).

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...rn-agent-rules

Here's the NCAA's rundown:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibilit...getting-degree

Comment

Just saw this. To me, advantage Kentucky. How many we had leave to go undrafted that should have come back if given the option?
      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
        Just saw this. To me, advantage Kentucky. How many we had leave to go undrafted that should have come back if given the option?
        That rule only applies to players who get an invite to the combine, though.

I don't think Kentucky has had anybody who got a combine invite and wasn't drafted. Maybe Isaiah Briscoe last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

That rule only applies to players who get an invite to the combine, though.

I don't think Kentucky has had anybody who got a combine invite and wasn't drafted. Maybe Isaiah Briscoe last year.
          Did Gabriel not get invited? I know he worked out for a few teams.

Comment

Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post

Did Gabriel not get invited? I know he worked out for a few teams.
            Gabriel is another. He didn't get a combine invite.

Comment

Cal said in an interview today that he expects the one-and-done rule to be changed in 2022, so we'll have the status quo for the next three seasons at least.

Comment

I love this change.....will definitely be a good thing for us

Comment

I don't like the part about high school kids having an agent.

Comment

Mostly superficial moves and some or most that will be hard to control. I don't see a great changes here.
                    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                      Mostly superficial moves and some or most that will be hard to control. I don't see a great changes here.
                      Me either. This sounds like something that has been put out without a lot of thought.
                      John 3:3

Comment

Most analysts agree with you two. One said just another proof the NCAA is just throwing things against the wall. Both the NBA and the group that is supposed to be in charge of ranking these kids said they either knew nothing about it or wanted nothing to do with it.

Estimations are there may be seven kids in this last class that would have been effected, but the fact seems to be maybe one or two players might benefit.

PR move that really has a lot of words but does nothing more actually than stir the pot.

Comment

I'll be the devil's advocate here. I don't think I've ever taken up for the NCAA before because they claim to be all for the good of the student athlete but every move they make seems to be for their own pockets. They've tried to keep a big time business the same as it was in 1950 and that's absurd. As the world changes they need to change as well.

But in this instance the nation has clamored for players to declare for the draft and return to school if not picked for years. We say "why would it destroy your amateur status if you don't get drafted and payed." So finally the NCAA allows it Dan Dakich and others find the problems it could cause and say they didn't get their ducks in a row. Personally I don't think it should be the NCAA's problem if coaches can't figure out who's returning to school and who is not and end up offering too many scholarships. Dakich says "who gets left out--the kid can't come back and has to find a different school, or a high schooler gets told his scholarship isn't available?" Every change the NCAA ever makes will have effects on certain kids. Know-it-alls like Dakich pretend there is a certain formula that once its in place everything will be perfect when in fact there will always be reasons to tweak the system based on how things change.

To me when an undergrad is considering leaving school he basically fits into one of 2 groups--he either has a real shot at the NBA or he doesn't. Those with a chance get an invite to the combine. NBA scouts put time into evaluating this and if you don't get invited you're being told you are likely not ready. Of those who don't get invited there are kids who will stay in school and kids (Wenyen is the perfect example) who are ready to leave regardless. Those individuals may get one of these 2 way contracts like Wenyen where he'll mainly play G-league but could possibly get called up to the big team for a few days at a time. Or they may go overseas for small money. Either way that's their choice. Now only 60 kids actually get drafted so there will be combine participants who don't get chosen and they are the ones who truly benefit from this. Also their contact with agents will get them more info on their pro prospects as well as the agents try to sell them to NBA teams. But bottom line is if you don't get an invite they don't want you yet.

So in my opinion it is still up to Cal and the other coaches to be having the one-on-one conversations with these players and determining who's likely to be back and who is not. And they've always had to base their scholarship offers on how many they have available. Cal's been telling kids for years they need to hold off the early commitments to see if we have room for them. The cream of the crop he wants to commit early and the ones he wants to fill out his class have to wait.

Bilas has gained much popularity criticizing the NCAA the last several years and now Dakich and others try to follow suit. I don't agree that the NCAA needed to figure out the fall-out effects any more than they did. Even with the NCAA--if they do what you've been asking them to do--give them credit for a good change. Bilas has made a lot of good points and is often right in my opinion. Dakich and others are just trying to say what people want to hear. Much like talking about how much he loves Big Blue Nation.
                          Last edited by Catsrock; 08-11-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

^ The problem people have with the way the NCAA did this is that it's allowing only combine invitees to return.

Why would they do that? That makes no sense. You might as well not even change the rule if you're going to do that.

It's definitely a step in the right direction...but it's basically less than a baby step.

Comment

But why can't those not invited realize they're not wanted by the NBA? What undergrad who declared in the last few years and was not invited to the combine ended up being drafted? If you know you're not getting drafted and want to leave anyway then why do you care if the tell you that you can stay?

Comment

NCAA Announces Major Changes to Men's Basketball

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X