No announcement yet.

Bahamas Games Open Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickley has been a really pleasant surprise for me. He is definitely earning himself more time than most would have expected.

Comment

The team we saw last night looked like a legitimate national championship contender.

What you have to love:

* Tyler Herro. Fearless. Constant action. Reminds me a little of Jamal Murray in how he'll battle like a madman to get open, and then immediately when he gets the ball he makes a decision. No thinking, just playing.

* Keldon Johnson. Still think he's this team's stud. Attacks the paint like he hates it. Very difficult to stay in front of him at 215-220 pounds. If he can keep people honest from outside, he could be one of those versatile guards who can hurt you from all over the floor, including inside the paint. Very unique player.

* Reid Travis coming back from a dud of a first game. They were trying to get him involved early, and for the most part he kept the intensity up. Still a little concerned about his hands, but I'm not sure if that's just nerves or what. I think as we go on they'll put him at the top a lot and let him attack people from 20 feet and in. That will be PJ's role a lot too. Nice having two guys who will steamroll people in the paint if they get in front of them.

* Outside shooting showed itself. Not sure this team has the elite shooters to be, say, 2011 good. But with our front line you just hope they can make 6 or 8 a game. You really need to be there in college basketball to pull away from teams.

The question marks:

* The point guard position. I thought Ashton Hagans had some trouble last night, but there were two or three times you could see the John Wall-esque burst he has. Doesn't look like a tremendous ballhandler. Quickley appears to be the better game manager, but you don't get that relentless speed with Quickley like you do with Hagans. And Hagans looks like the best defender. So that position is still a question mark.

Last edited by Will Lavender; 08-10-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

And this bit from KSR is really good to read as well.
        After the big win, players went BACK to the gym

Quade Green started a trend. After the sophomore guard went back to the court to shoot for two hours following Kentucky’s debut, his teammates followed. Tyler Herro went to the court for two hours Thursday morning, and last night, PJ Washington, Immanuel Quickley, Jemarl Baker, and Keldon Johnson joined them:

Comment

Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
          And this bit from KSR is really good to read as well.
          After the big win, players went BACK to the gym

Quade Green started a trend. After the sophomore guard went back to the court to shoot for two hours following Kentucky’s debut, his teammates followed. Tyler Herro went to the court for two hours Thursday morning, and last night, PJ Washington, Immanuel Quickley, Jemarl Baker, and Keldon Johnson joined them:
          You have to like that. A breakfast club mentality.

Travis hit s a couple of shots from around the foul line. lf he can do that consistently that will be huge. Especially on nights when the three ball isn't falling.

I just hate the uniforms they have used. Maybe its just my old eyes but I can hardly see the numbers. With another batch of new players its going to take me a while to sort them out. I still can't tell Quickly and Hagans apart. I think I have Johnson down now. I am associating him with Darius Miller. Herro is easy.
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

This is going to be a team that can beat teams in a number of different ways.

Might be the first Cal team at Kentucky like this, honestly.

Comment

I haven't seen the beginning of either game, so I'm looking forward to begin sorting out the players Saturday. I like very much what I've seen so far. I'm pulling for Richrds a lot and he looks to be able to contribute a lot this year. Herro looks legit and I'm still trying to sort out the others.
              John 3:3

Comment

The team we beat last night was the best team either UK bunch has played in the Bahamas. They were beating the Toronto Raptors late in a game a couple of years ago.

To lead wire to wire like that and win by 20+ was very impressive. That team ran some highly interesting stuff that our guys would have never seen before. Their out-of-bounds plays alone were something to behold. That we basically got very little pushback for 40 minutes was a great sign.

Comment

I agree Will. The team we played last night was very physical and well coached. At times, they made our defense look full of holes, but Cal will use the film to teach. Cal said on the radio last night that they had only worked on defense for an hour so far this season.
                  John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                    The team we beat last night was the best team either UK bunch has played in the Bahamas. They were beating the Toronto Raptors late in a game a couple of years ago.

To lead wire to wire like that and win by 20+ was very impressive. That team ran some highly interesting stuff that our guys would have never seen before. Their out-of-bounds plays alone were something to behold. That we basically got very little pushback for 40 minutes was a great sign.
                    That's insane to me. I'm assuming those guys weren't really into the game because they should've been able to beat a college team, but it's still impressive.
                    There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

Hilariously, Kentucky was a 9-point underdog last night. But because they apparently only played 49 minutes and change due to the power outage, Bovada is refusing to pay all the Kentucky fans who bet on the Cats.

Comment

Do those fans at least get their money back?
                        There’s no such thing as someone else’s war, your creature comforts aren’t the only thing worth fighting for

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

That's insane to me. I'm assuming those guys weren't really into the game because they should've been able to beat a college team, but it's still impressive.
                          I thought that team played really sloppy for the most part. They said this was their off season from a 10 month league in Argentina. So I assumed they hadn't practiced much or at all lately. Also it was nothing more than an extra paycheck for them. Still it was good that UK pretty much dominated them. Shows this is going to be a really good team.
                          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Didn't see all of our 2nd game..but WOW on Tyler Herro.....Could he really be the best player on our team

Comment

Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
                              Didn't see all of our 2nd game..but WOW on Tyler Herro.....Could he really be the best player on our team
                              Probably not.

But he might be the most fearless. In basketball the ability to play without fear and to play as if you're the best player on the court at all times is occasionally more important than having the most skill or talent.

Herro is a guy who has incredible belief in his own game. We've had players come through UK, even five-star players, who didn't have that.

He also has tremendous size. I think that's the most striking thing about him. This isn't some small, undersized guard out there. Herro has legitimate wing size. He's a good 6'5", 6'6". That's big enough to play the game and to not be hindered too much by other shooting guards they're going to have to stick on him.

I want to pump the brakes a little on my admiration for him, because it is just August 11th. But he definitely has the look of a player who could really surprise everybody, a la Devin Booker. Remember Booker wasn't on anyone's radar as a one and done, let alone as a potential lottery pick. I remember reading a tweet from somebody right after Booker signed and the guy said he loved Booker and Ulis, but he didn't know if they were right for Kentucky because both were four-year players.

Comment

Looking forward to the game tonight but I have a question. Is it HEEro or HAIRo?
                                No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Bahamas Games Open Thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X