Practice Begins Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Begins Today

The team has been working out, but this is the day that begins it all. The official beginning of the season.

I used to go to the bookstore in Somerset and get Street & Smith's and the Blue Ribbon Handbook and Athlon's in early October and devour the information in them. I can still remember the smell of those magazines. We're running up toward my favorite time of the year--the beginning of the season, the promise of greatness, and these weeks leading up until early November when there are huge games and college basketball is on the tube all the time.

This season could be very special, friends. Today is just a small milestone but I'm glad we've made it.

I couldn't wait for those magazines to come out. Street and Smith's was the best. I would read it from cover to cover. Also back then that's when you found out the schedule for the season. Here's the 1978 edition of Street and Smiths. It was a combination pro,college and prep. I can remember being greatly disappointed when they had UK ranked number 2 to start the season. In the end they were wrong.

Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Everybody in the BBN needs to take stock...needs to inhale deep. This is the best time to be Wildcat fan in 40 years and I hope everyone enjoys the ride!!!

Comment

I notice from the above mag. cover we were preseason #2 in 77-78. Duke must have come out of nowhere to the title game.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
          I notice from the above mag. cover we were preseason #2 in 77-78. Duke must have come out of nowhere to the title game.
          They sort of did. They were a very young team that year. IIRC, Banks and Gminski were freshmen. Spanarkel was the only upper clasman they had too and he was a junior. They had to win the ACC tournament to make the NCAA's. They got on a good roll at the end of the season. Plus they were in a weak East region.
          Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Oddly North Carolina had to play San Francisco that year in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. They lost.

San Francisco would've had Bill Cartwright, who went on to play with Michael Jordan in Chicago. Wikipedia tells me they lost to Cal State Fullerton in the Sweet Sixteen. Eddie Sutton's Arkansas team beat Fullerton to go to the Final Four.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              Oddly North Carolina had to play San Francisco that year in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. They lost.

San Francisco would've had Bill Cartwright, who went on to play with Michael Jordan in Chicago. Wikipedia tells me they lost to Cal State Fullerton in the Sweet Sixteen. Eddie Sutton's Arkansas team beat Fullerton to go to the Final Four.
              Fullerton was the Cinderella team that year in the NCAA's. IIRC, they played Arkansas a tough game in the regional finals but came up short.

USF had some good teams with Cartwright but always got beat out early in the tournament. A few years after he left they had some sort of huge scandal(I don't remember what it was about now) and they shut down their program for a couple of seasons. They have never really ever been a factor on the national stage since either.

I think 1978 was the last year the NCAA's weren't seeded in some form. IIRC a committee just put teams in a region and then just blindly drew for matchups. It showed in this tournament. UK and Marquette has been ranked 1 and 2 nearly all season. They were put not only in the same region but in the same bracket. If Miami of Ohio had not pulled off a huge upset of Marquette in the 1st round, UK and Marquette would have played in the 2nd round that year. Talk about crazy! I can remember Cawood Ledford commenting that a madman must have made out the brackets that year.

According to this WIKI page they did seed and was the first year that they did. But it was crazy how they did it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_N...all_Tournament
              Last edited by KevinHall; 09-26-2018, 08:02 AM.
              Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

A lot of excitement around this team.....I can't wait

Comment

Ready!!!!!!!!!
                  I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Practice Begins Today

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X