Kentucky Comes Up for First Time in NCAA Trial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky Comes Up for First Time in NCAA Trial

This is the first time UK has been mentioned in the months of allegations that I'm aware of.

Kentucky was mentioned on FBI surveillance, actually, and the tape was played in the courtroom. Merl Code, an AAU coach who's now on trial, was caught saying he tried to steer players away from even visiting UK, because Kentucky was a Nike school and had a "relationship with other NBA agents."

This doesn't mean much but it is noteworthy because we hadn't been mentioned at all in this mess--until today.

They had the Kevin Knox dinner mention at one time but that was quickly forgotten. I have to think there is really not anything to be found cause you know there are plenty of guys out there dying to take Cal and UK down.

Comment

Not sure how saying that Kentucky has a relationship with "other NBA agents" is even a bad thing, as long as those agents aren't supplying the players with illegal benefits.

It would seem that the AAU coach in question is just saying that Kentucky directs its guys to certain Nike affiliated agencies, so it's not worth bothering with.

Comment

If that's the worse that comes up in this whole ordeal I will be happy and laugh in the face of the 'Cal's a cheater' crowd.
        "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

A lot of allegations made today by Brian Bowen Sr.

It's interesting that college basketball writers are asking for proof, probably because Kansas came up. I doubt they'd be asking for proof if UK came up, but I digress.

I believe all these allegations. I think every player who comes through is offered perks of some kind. Bowen wasn't even the cream of the crop. Some of these big-time players are probably offered such crazy money that it's incredible. Given the fact that the coaches are rich, the administrators are rich, and the NCAA is rich, I can't muster up much outrage about any of this.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/...college-hoops/

Comment

I've never been able to muster any outrage over players getting paid. I have a few theories why people do get upset but I'll save those for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
              I've never been able to muster any outrage over players getting paid. I have a few theories why people do get upset but I'll save those for another thread.
              I have less problem with players receiving a per diem from the school they sign with, but to pay a player or a family member to influence a player to attend a school is wrong. I imagine that's what you meant.
              John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I have less problem with players receiving a per diem from the school they sign with, but to pay a player or a family member to influence a player to attend a school is wrong. I imagine that's what you meant.
                Everyone in college athletics is getting rich except the players. If a shoe company wants to facilitate cash to a player, they should be able to strike while the iron is hot.

Comment

Vitale and Adam Zagoria say this is only getting started.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...scandal-trial/

Comment

More sordid tales of UL recruiting today. Brian Bowen sr. said he was given $1300 cash by ex-UL assistant Kenny Johnson and then given a $2300 a month suite at the Galt House. This was all done after UL was put on probatoin for their excort services.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...sh/1577052002/

Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Courier-Journal writer Tim Sullivan keeps saying there's a potential this still ends with a death penalty for UofL.

I'm not sure why he's saying that (and he's tweeted it multiple times). It looks like many of these witnesses are wildly inconsistent in their testimony. And by "inconsistent" I mean they're clearly lying about half of what they say.

That said, they do have former UofL assistant Kenny Johnson dropping money off at the Galt House to Bowen Sr. for his rent. But what does the NCAA do about that? UofL cleared everybody out of their program. Would they really get the death penalty for any of this this long after the fact?

Hard for me to believe it will turn out like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                        Courier-Journal writer Tim Sullivan keeps saying there's a potential this still ends with a death penalty for UofL.

I'm not sure why he's saying that (and he's tweeted it multiple times). It looks like many of these witnesses are wildly inconsistent in their testimony. And by "inconsistent" I mean they're clearly lying about half of what they say.

That said, they do have former UofL assistant Kenny Johnson dropping money off at the Galt House to Bowen Sr. for his rent. But what does the NCAA do about that? UofL cleared everybody out of their program. Would they really get the death penalty for any of this this long after the fact?

Hard for me to believe it will turn out like that.
                        Plausible but not likely I agree. The NCAA is having a real mess with this right now and I doubt they do anything further with UL since they have cleaned out their basketball house. At least, as far as I know anyway.

David Padgett could get a perjury charge out of this if the courts think Bowen is credible at all.
                        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinHall View Post
                          More sordid tales of UL recruiting today. Brian Bowen sr. said he was given $1300 cash by ex-UL assistant Kenny Johnson and then given a $2300 a month suite at the Galt House. This was all done after UL was put on probatoin for their excort services.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...sh/1577052002/
                          I'm disappointed if that paltry amount is the extent of the cash exchanging hands...
                          Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

I see why it's on the table but having cleared out Tom, Rick, and James Ramsey will likely spare them that fate. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they get off relatively light.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                              I see why it's on the table but having cleared out Tom, Rick, and James Ramsey will likely spare them that fate. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they get off relatively light.
                              Heard someone (can't recall their background) on the radio this morning positing that they may well see a two year post season ban since they were just put on probation almost immediately prior to this happening.
                              I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Kentucky Comes Up for First Time in NCAA Trial

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X