Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Day

This team is going to be a blast to watch. Just a few things I saw:

Cal is totally giddy over this team. He has his hands full dividing up the time. So many guys who can play.

Work in the weight room is obvious. They showed PJ and Richards last year vs this and the difference is striking.

Ashton Hagans is going to be a total pest on defense.

Shooting looked just fine. Herro and Green looked great. And Baker can definitely shoot it as well. Defense will be his issue. Montgomery and Washington showed they can make jumpers also.

Reid Travis is a beast. No other way to describe him.

There will be a lot of shots get blocked.

Keldon Johnson is going to be a definite fan favorite. He does everything. He rolled his ankle at the end but it sounds as though that's fine.

The 4 on 4 and 5 on 5 scrimmages were intense. Definitely not any going through the motions with this team.

Thanks for the report. Excited about this ream.
    John 3:3

Comment

Very good write-up.

I actually thought the pro day was more interesting than usual, partly because of some things Cal said, and also because we got to see the team for the first time playing extended minutes against elite competition.

Some takeaways I had:

* Agree with catfaninin that shooting doesn't seem to be a major concern. Don't think we have a Doron Lamb, but some of the shooting drills were pretty crazy. Herro looks to be the best obviously but was pretty impressed with a couple of others. Think we can keep teams honest and that's huge when you have the athletes and the power this team will have.

* Cal said an interesting thing when he was talking to Dykes and Greenberg: basically they put the basic building blocks of the offense in first and then start to adjust as the season goes along. This is obviously why Kentucky changes its style so radically during seasons, and it's why I think this team will go from relying on "random" to becoming a post-it-up-every-time team. Think we're going to see A LOT of possessions that start out on the block or elbow this season as Johnson, Washington, and Travis try to work guys toward the basket.

* Point guard situation is still very murky. Love Hagans' defense but he has a hitch in his shot. In fact we're going to sit and watch him miss a bunch of jumpers this year. But he has that thing Cal loves, and that's the bulldog, fearless mentality. It's why he stuck with guys like Teague and Bledsoe through their struggles. Hagans has that but I'm not sure what kind of scorer he can be.

* Cal clearly loves this team. Similar to the way he felt about '09, '12, '15, and '17. There's clearly a giddiness there about this bunch.

* Herro still jumps out at you during the basketball drills. He's just a player. Very Booker-like, as we discussed in the Bahamas. Is one of those guys who just seems to have "it."

* Reid Travis was more impressive in those scrimmages than he was at any point in the Bahamas. Clearly wanted to showcase himself in front of NBA guys. Just not sure how you can stop his drive when he gets a head of steam. Clearly needs to work on his touch around the basket, however. Not one of these natural scorers in the paint like Cousins and Towns, but is so explosive and strong he should be able to maul his way to 8 or 10 points per night just based on bull-headedness.

* Also agree with catfaninin that Keldon Johnson is going to be beloved. We said this two months ago but he plays the game the way MKG did: with a smile, with manic intensity, and with a joy that not all great players have. It also helps that he has the actual basketball tools to go with the swagger.

* Johnson hurt himself at the very end but I've read that it was just an ankle tweak.

* Nick Richards showed very little in the scrimmage. Not sure what that means, if anything, but he was sort of blown back by Travis. Also thought EJ Montgomery did some really interesting things, but it's going to take awhile to figure out what kind of player he actually is and where he might fit.

* Nice seeing Tayshaun back in the house.

Comment

Thanks for the write up. It is very good. To be honest I totally forgot about this. I saw something about it earlier then just slipped my mind. Oh well plenty of other chances to see them between now and March.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

I also get the feeling that Cal really likes Quickley. Won't surprise me to see more of him than what we expect.

On the subject of Reid Travis. I can't help but think of him and Azubuike facing off in the Kansas game. That's like a train wreck looking for a place to happen.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to mention above:

I don't think Jemarl Baker plays for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              Oh, I forgot to mention above:

I don't think Jemarl Baker plays for this team.
              It's hard to see him getting much PT with all the others. But he may be the one most like Lamb.
              John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

It's hard to see him getting much PT with all the others. But he may be the one most like Lamb.
                I thought there was a telling moment when the ball was reversed to Baker, he was wide open and shot a three, and Cal muttered, "He can't..." just as Baker missed.

I'm almost positive Cal was going to say, "He can't make that."

Comment

The Courier-Journal with a hard disagree on my take on Jemarl Baker above. They point out that he posted some solid numbers at the pro day, including a 10.24 lane agility time that--were he competing in the NBA combine--would put him in the top 20 all time.

(Still don't think he sees the court that much.)

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ss/1573541002/

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                    The Courier-Journal with a hard disagree on my take on Jemarl Baker above. They point out that he posted some solid numbers at the pro day, including a 10.24 lane agility time that--were he competing in the NBA combine--would put him in the top 20 all time.

(Still don't think he sees the court that much.)

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ss/1573541002/
                    He did have some pretty good numbers. But the fact that he seems so far behind defensively make me agree with you.

Comment

Going back to Travis, Cal says he's lost 17 pounds since coming over from Stanford. Says he can jump basically to the top of the square flat-footed.

I noticed during the pro day stuff that he seemed to have more explosion than he did even in the Bahamas.

Comment

Pro Day

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X