BBM Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBM Thoughts

So we went through another BBM last night. This season in particular the event is diluted a little because we've seen so much of the team already, but it was still pretty spectacular to watch at times.

You could see the improvement in teamwide shooting in the three-point contest. We've had teams under Cal that he wouldn't dare let even have a contest; last night every player competed, and even Nick Richards acquitted himself well. The finale between Herro and Quickley, with Quickley winning on the last ball, was probably the most exciting moment of the night.

The most interesting moment however was Cal's speech. In that speech he went to great lengths to talk about how he was still energized and looking forward to his future at UK. One of the slogans UK used on the video screen while flashing up an image of Cal was, "Just getting started."

That was clearly aimed at the recruits in attendance. It's pretty obvious that there's scuttlebutt going around that Cal is very close to hanging it up.

Definitely anti-climatic. But I did think this was better than in past years. Liked the way they seemed to truly enjoy meeting the older guy who won championships.

The 3 point contest reinforced that Herro and Quickly can shoot. But I was most impressed by PJ. This was a guy missing free throws right and left 6 months ago. Think he finished 3rd in the contest.

It's not news really. But Keldon Johnson is a freakish athlete.

But I might have been most impressed by the cheerleaders. What they do is just unreal. My daughter is a cheerleader and does dance. She sat there with eyes wide open saying "WOW."

And Macy Morris's entry was really neat as well.

Comment

I just can't get excited for Big Blue Madness anymore. I think I'm jaded. Or maybe it's become so much of a spectacle, that it's impossible for them to top.

Wake me up for our first exhibition.

Comment

Lol....I'm football crazy right now.....probably will shift heavy into basketball in January.

Great time to be a sports fan....basketball revving up, College getting into midseason cut throat time, pro football starting to tool along and pro baseball into the playoffs...PLUS hockey season is on.

Comment

I remember when I didn't know all the players' names when BBM rolled around. That wasn't that long ago; probably right before the internet became such a huge part of all our lives. 2003 or 2004. I remember hearing Gerald Fitch's name for the first time during BBM.

Now things are obviously way different. We know everything about the players when they're in high school. You don't need BBM to introduce anyone anymore.

This is especially true when you have a foreign trip. The videos and everything are cool (I've always felt like UK has geniuses who put those videos together) and it's a fun night out if you have a ticket, but there's not much to it in terms of getting us excited for the season. In the 24/7 news blitz we're always under, you either stay excited or you're never excited. BBM doesn't move the needle that much.

What they should probably do if the NCAA would approve a third exhibition is do the campout and everything for a big-time exhibition game. Word was UK was supposed to play Notre Dame this year but the NCAA nixed it. I think people would be more pumped for something like that, plus you could sell tickets. BBM has kind of worn out its welcome a little.

Comment

I just can't get into BBM anymore and it has been that way for a long time. It will never ne as good as it was when I was a kid. I used to enjoy staying up to watch it. Back then it was just basketball. No videos or dances or speeches. The shine of this event has long since wore off.
            No man is a failure who has friends

Comment

Pretty cool short video of highlights.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1051463538819117056

Comment

Back in the day when the practice was at midnight it truly was something special. Great excitement was all around and it was the first time you actually saw the freshmen. That time has gone now. It's mostly a habit for me to watch it now. I skip through the girls team part and just go see the men's team part of the show. Also back then they had a good scrimmage. Not just playing around like they do now. If they did away with this I wouldn't miss it.

But you did get to see that you don't have much to worry about in 3 point shooting. Herro and Quickly are very good shooters. As is Baker. Green and Johnson are half notch below them. Also Washington may be a threat from out there this year. His shot looks much better. So there should enough there to keep teams honest and not pack it in as much this year. Other than that there wasn't much more to get out of this. On to the Blue/White game next Sunday evening.
                Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

I actually watched it last night as I had it recorded but wasn't around Friday night... Personally for me - I didn't like it... Other than the opening introductions and such, the rest was way over the top to me. Too much 'hyping' and 'NBA - half time show-ish'... The SEC Network host was terrible and was driving me crazy during the dunk contest and 3-point shooting... I really like Herro as well but I think people need to stop the Chapman comparisons. Herro is a shooter and looks to be a really solid player but IMO, he is not close to athletic like Chapman was or even close when it comes to having hops. Chapman jumped with ease.

Comment

I think the point about media deluge is a great one. We hear about these kids as Juniors and watch clips, read interviews, etc
                    I'm also one of those who didn't have any idea about the players years ago until BBM.
                    Ain't saying it's bad, it's just different.
                    BBM used to be THE start...the jumping in point. Now it's down the food chain.

Comment

My thoughts: YEP, we're still incredible. Bring on dUKe.... I can't wait to hit the road to Indy November 6th!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        I actually watched it last night as I had it recorded but wasn't around Friday night... Personally for me - I didn't like it... Other than the opening introductions and such, the rest was way over the top to me. Too much 'hyping' and 'NBA - half time show-ish'... The SEC Network host was terrible and was driving me crazy during the dunk contest and 3-point shooting... I really like Herro as well but I think people need to stop the Chapman comparisons. Herro is a shooter and looks to be a really solid player but IMO, he is not close to athletic like Chapman was or even close when it comes to having hops. Chapman jumped with ease.
                        Agreed on Herro but the thing is, Chapman himself has made those comparisons. When the player himself starts it then it's hard for the fans not to jump on the bandwagon.

Herro is definitely not the preternatural athlete Chapman was. Seems to know how to play the game though and that separates him from many 18-year-olds.

And FWIW, Devin Booker didn't have Chapman's jumping ability. I see more Booker in Herro's game, though one thing people don't really talk about with Booker is how fast he is. Elite speed. Herro doesn't appear to have that (not many do).
                        Not that any of this matters. Herro could have a great season and not compare to either of those guys. He just needs to find a way to help this team.

Comment

I have to say I'm a big fan of using the court as a giant screen, and that opening 4 minute intro was the real deal.
                          "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

Comment

Recorded it, still haven't watched it, not worried about this team at all, we have the pieces in place to go far and win it all this year, going to be a great ride, sit back relax and enjoy!!!!!!!!1
                            I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

BBM Thoughts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X