Blue/White Game Tonight 10/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue/White Game Tonight 10/21

Don't forget the Blue/White game is on SEC Network at 7 pm.
    Kentucky fan since 1971.

Can't wait......saw that tickets are as low as $4

Comment

Some thoughts:

* Box Score

* Shooting is not going to be a concern this year. Not sure we'll be as good as the 2011 team was, but there'll be nights this team makes 12-15 threes and blows the doors off of people. Capable shooters all over the court.

* Was really impressed with Herro, Washington, Travis, Quade, Montgomery, and Richards. (Quickley showed some things as well, but mostly in the first half. Went silent late.)

* Ashton Hagans is an electric defender. HOWEVER, his shooting is a concern. He's one of those guys you can leave alone out there, and last night he clanked quite a few. That hamstrings the offense obviously, but his defense is so intense that he destroys the ball anytime he's around it. It's that age-old catch 22, but Cal almost always sides with defense and grit.

* EJ Montgomery jumped out to me as much as anyone in that game. He's playing what I think is the game's hardest position, which is that stretch 4 that's all the rage in the NBA. This is Wenyen's spot, and the problem with playing there is you're asked to put up a lot of production without many cracks to score. You're shooting really tough shots--notably 17-foot jumpers away from the block, or stand-still threes at the top--and you're only going to get those shots a few times a game. Montgomery was making those shots last night, three or four of them contested. And he was contesting shots at the rim. I thought he was one of four or five players who looked like he could run up and down with pros right now.

* Nick Richards is a completely different player. Loved what I saw from him.

* If PJ and Travis can shoot the ball like that, then you're going to have to pack a lunch to beat these guys. Unfair.

* Herro was Herro. Love how wired he is on the court. Goes out, gets to work. Reminds me of Malik Monk a little in that way. Just oozes confidence.

* Team defense was bad all the way around. Andy Kennedy mentioned the screening, but you could see breakdowns really all over from a variety of players. Herro in particular was getting stuff you just can't get if a team is sound defensively. A lot of times we say "this team is built to be great defensively" with Cal's teams because they're long and athletic. But young guys usually have to get used to the speed of the game. Many of Cal's teams--notably the John Wall team--have been borderline bad defensively at least until January. I remember how De'Aaron Fox wouldn't guard anyone for most of the year. It's going to be a learning curve and we could get beat a time or two in the non-conference simply because we give up about 80.

* The competitiveness we saw in the Bahamas was back last night. You heard a lot of guys contesting simple out of bounds. That's a MAJOR change from last year, who had a bunch of laid back guys. These kids are dogs.

* Disappointed in Keldon Johnson's game. Just never got into the flow.

* The line-ups are still more mysterious than ever. The best they looked all night was when Cal went really big, with Richards, Travis, and Washington at the 3/4/5. But I think that will be more situational and he'll go with Hagans or Quickley/Quade/Johnson/Washington/Richards or Travis. Quickley, Travis and Herro--if they come off the bench--are going to log as many minutes as the starters. EJ Montgomery will be in that mix as well obviously. That's a very solid nine. How they fit together will be a question that will probably linger all the way through the first half of the year.

Last edited by Will Lavender; 10-22-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

EJ Montgomery impressed the most last night. I hadn't really seen him play since he was injured in the Bahamas. If he is a stretch three like he showed last night then this team will be even harder to beat. Also was good on the boards and had a couple of blocks. Just really impressed with him.

Also as Will stated if Travis and Washington are hitting three's consistently I don't know how you can beat this team. That will put UK in a different realm from almost everyone else.

It's going to be hard for Cal to come up with a lineup. There are about 10 guys who can start and play big minutes. I'm sure things will settle in eventually but for now Cal has some good problems.

In the end Cal will probably go with Hagans because he is going to be better defensively. But Quickley may have a better overall game. The defense will come around. They always start slow under Cal but are one of the best by year end. Not worried at about that.

I liked that big team he had out there in the 2nd half of Washington,Travis and Richards. The white team could hardly get off a shot.

Herro is Herro. This guy will be a basketball god in his one year at UK.

I read that Keldon Johnson was very upset that his team lost last night. That's getting upset over a glorified scrimmage. You have to really like that kind of competitiveness. Last years team wasn't anywhere in that stratosphere.

UK plays Transy in the first exhibition game Friday night at 7 PM.
        Kentucky fan since 1971.

Comment

How jacked are these guys going to be for Duke?

You know they took offense to that brotherhood stuff last year. You know they're already sick of hearing how many Duke guys are going to go in the draft. You know the Zion stuff bugs the crap out of them.

What you hope doesn't happen is we get so far up in the clouds we're firing shots off the shot clock.

I just think we'll have too many weapons for Duke. The only thing that holds Duke in is if RJ Barrett goes off for 30. If we've got somebody who can stick Barrett and keep him down, I think we can run Duke. This team just has too many people who can gut you.

To beat them I think you're going to have to have power down low, and you're also going to have to be able to go about 9 deep to counter what Kentucky is going to throw at you. UK should be able to wear teams out when we get into their bench and for a lot of people on our schedule, that's the point where it's going to be really hard and you'll see 8-point leads jump to 20 in a blink.

This team is built like a champion. Let's roll 'em out.

Comment

I absolutely love Tyler Herro.....I have tickets for Nov 9th........I can't wait

Comment

I completely forgot that the Blue/White game was last night. I was flipping through channels and I caught it with :30 left in the game.

I'm a terrible, terrible fan and I should be ashamed.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
                I completely forgot that the Blue/White game was last night. I was flipping through channels and I caught it with :30 left in the game.

I'm a terrible, terrible fan and I should be ashamed.
                i am the same way, need to get my together and get a schedule, BASKETBALL SEASON IS HERE!!!
                Last edited by Lighthouse; 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM. Reason: enough please.
                I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

@WCN Family- Just now getting into b-ball mode and I meant to ask y'all right away but I need to know if anyone knows where I can buy/online: (1) White hoodie with block blue UK letters with basketball written horizontally underneath the UK letters. There was a guy behind the broadcasters wearing it and I Googled searched but I can't find it. (2) Another guy had on a dark sweatshirt with blue & black camouflage "BBN" letters on his shirt.

Those two sweatshirts grabbed my attention when I was watching Blue & White game and I gotta them! I have a feeling they are custom, but If you know who makes/sells them I would appreciate you putting me in touch.
                  I'm really hoping Will can help.

Comment

Originally posted by 85 Fly View Post
                    @WCN Family- Just now getting into b-ball mode and I meant to ask y'all right away but I need to know if anyone knows where I can buy/online: (1) White hoodie with block blue UK letters with basketball written horizontally underneath the UK letters. There was a guy behind the broadcasters wearing it and I Googled searched but I can't find it. (2) Another guy had on a dark sweatshirt with blue & black camouflage "BBN" letters on his shirt.

Those two sweatshirts grabbed my attention when I was watching Blue & White game and I gotta them! I have a feeling they are custom, but If you know who makes/sells them I would appreciate you putting me in touch.
                    I'm really hoping Will can help.
                    fanatics.com has every UK item available that I have seen anywhere (unless it's custom made)

Comment

JFCats22 - that's the first place I checked (that's where I buy gear from) then did a Google search when I couldn't find it (hoping maybe Ebay or something)...I'm thinking custom too. But sometimes you run across people who know make the custom shirts that are willing to make/sell you one.

Comment

Blue/White Game Tonight 10/21

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X