Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Do the BB Questions and Answers interest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the BB Questions and Answers interest you?

Every Monday, in the Basketball Officials and Coaches Forum, I post a question from the actual test all NCAA Officials take. Then on Friday, I post the correct answer with the rule reference. I do this so WCN'ers and Kentucky Fans can have a better understanding of the what, why and how officials call the games.

There used to be a lot of interest in this, but lately interest has dwindled considerably. I need to know if everybody wants me to continue, or just stop them all together. I'm happy to do this because I have the test and answers and it takes little effort to do.

Please post your honest opinion.
    John 3:3

I haven't participated this year because frankly I'd been on a football carryover. I always find the rules interesting if sometimes maddening.

Comment

Can't speak for anyone else but i rarely review that section at all.
      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

I actually searched through it the other day looking for something, but usually I forget that it's there.

This forum is so small at this point that you could probably put those questions in here to get more hits. There was a time we needed different forums but when six or eight people are posting on a daily basis it's probably to the point where everything (except very general stuff) should be in the same forum to ensure that it's going to be viewed.

Comment

Even though I don't participate, I appreciate your effort, Lighthouse. I don't post much at all on the bb forums.
          Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Comment

The way the game is officiated on the college level, it almost seems as if they make up the rules as they go, no rhyme or reason
            I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              I actually searched through it the other day looking for something, but usually I forget that it's there.

This forum is so small at this point that you could probably put those questions in here to get more hits. There was a time we needed different forums but when six or eight people are posting on a daily basis it's probably to the point where everything (except very general stuff) should be in the same forum to ensure that it's going to be viewed.
              I agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
                The way the game is officiated on the college level, it almost seems as if they make up the rules as they go, no rhyme or reason
                While from your post you know a lot about the game itself, but I take from your comment that you know very little about officiating, and please don't take that as a dig. That's exactly why I do this. Some folks have officiated some, while most have never been there and form an opinion of officials on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

This is a great idea, and I think I'll move today's question here and see what happens. Thanks Will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

While from your post you know a lot about the game itself, but I take from your comment that you know very little about officiating, and please don't take that as a dig. That's exactly why I do this. Some folks have officiated some, while most have never been there and form an opinion of officials on their own.
                    I been around the game a very long time and know the rules but my sarcasim comes from the way the refs call certain fouls from game to game, the flagrant on PJ a few games back comes to mind. Saturday Herro was called a foul on a charge but the defender moved and slid right in front of him, maybe something has changed but in my opinion that was not a charge at all..

Comment

Saw a player driving to the basket went up to lay it in and the defensive player hit him on the side of his head knocking him down. Officials went to the monitor decided it was just a common foul shoot two.

Same play different game it was a flagrant. This is what is confusing to viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by justford View Post
                        Saw a player driving to the basket went up to lay it in and the defensive player hit him on the side of his head knocking him down. Officials went to the monitor decided it was just a common foul shoot two.

Same play different game it was a flagrant. This is what is confusing to viewers.
                        Exactly, makes me think sometimes big money and betting is still involved with these refs, there is no rhyme or reason anymore. A guys goes up for a dunk and falls down the wrong way untouched but it's a flagrant on the closest defender next to him, i don't get it, same with charging fouls and flopping....

Comment

I think the flagrant foul has opened up a lot of bad calls simply by the way the rule is worded. But they also don't seem to do a great job of looking at the TV screen sometimes, which is why I think we should not allow them to go over to the screen as much as they do.

It seemed to be more straightforward back in the days when refs could call a simple "intentional foul." They do a ton of work now to try and decode players' intent and the fact is, you can watch 20 basketball games a week and maybe see one or two plays where guys are trying to hurt another player.

Comment

I think they had to reword the call because any time a team is behind and fouls to (hopefully) let them get the ball back on missed free throws is absolutely 'intentional'.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                              I think they had to reword the call because any time a team is behind and fouls to (hopefully) let them get the ball back on missed free throws is absolutely 'intentional'.
                              But that's a meaningless discussion to even get in.

Who cares? In virtually every game ever played guys are fouling intentionally, but 90% of the time they do it in a way that at least gives the illusion of a play on the ball.

Changing "intentional foul" to "flagrant foul" because of that is being way too literal. And it doesn't give anything to the game. Doesn't improve it, doesn't make it better to watch, and I imagine it doesn't make it safer to play. So they accomplished nothing except satisfying very literal-minded people's hang-up about a word.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Do the BB Questions and Answers interest you?

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X