Jay Bilas vs. the Entire Big Blue Nation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I don't like this stuff. For one it's completely unverified as far as I know, but how does one know Williamson's family can't afford this house?
    I agree with you. Additionally, I think that people likely take out loans during their "one and done" year in college, banking on entering a different tax bracket within less than a year.

I seem to remember John Wall having a new Cadillac during college.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

He did tweet directly at her so it was a pretty dumb screw-up.

Worse, he just kept doubling down when UK fans called him out.
      He didn't tweet directly at her. He was tweeting directly at the other guy, who had responded directly to Megan. So it added her @.

This morning on Matt Jones's show, he didn't really sound snarky or like a jerk to me. He sincerely sounded like he didn't understand what the fuss was about. For what it's worth, he did apologize to the UK fans who took it the wrong way, and admitted that he understood his mistake.

Comment

Facebook seems to be good when it comes to reconnecting to people you haven't seen in a long time. I also think Facebook is good at getting in touch with people quickly who you may not know that well, but you're friends with them on Facebook. We do that a lot with our kids' parents with sleepovers and such.

Twitter is much (much) different. I actually think Twitter is really good but you have to work to pare down who you follow. You can get some good information but you have to be really discerning about who it's coming from. When it comes to just fans I don't think Twitter is that good. Message boards are much better for just riffing about the team.

But I do follow some college basketball guys on Twitter and they're worth the follow. Where Twitter is best though is just for breaking news. I use my Twitter feed like a news scroll and prefer it to watching television or reading big websites for news.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

He didn't tweet directly at her.
          He did, actually. Her tweet was the one he hit the reply button on.

I do believe it was a screw-up however and not intentional, because he immediately seemed to not understand why people took offense.

But Cal's daughter can take up for herself and work that out on her own. More weird was how Bilas seemingly didn't understand why the picture would be a big deal.

I don't think a person should lose their mind over it, but it is bizarre that Bilas wouldn't understand why it would be a problem for folks.

Again, nobody will remember this by next Tuesday.

Comment

Social media is what we all need to get used to these days. The millennials and the younger generation have grown up with it all their life. A tweet can reach 60 million people in a second. I am not big on tweeter-maybe I have tweeted 30 times but I am not sure anybody saw it but myself.

I like Bilas. He made a mistake and I believe he was trying to add humor and it backfired. This will be forgotten by next week by most, but UK fans will have some funny signs at Rupp aimed at him the next time he is at Rupp.

Comment

Thought players had to live on campus. No rebuttals or denials from Dukies?

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                Is this what you saw, JWORLD? Notice a UK fan posted it. Probably not the most reliable source....Click image for larger version

Name:	72928B56-522E-4182-BA7B-55EBCF0F5EEB.png
Views:	157
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	197006
                Taking that with a big grain of salt. Likely false.
                I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Maybe a false picture. And for all I know his dad could be a doctor and his mom an attorney. Not every kid is financially strapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

He did, actually. Her tweet was the one he hit the reply button on.

I do believe it was a screw-up however and not intentional, because he immediately seemed to not understand why people took offense.

But Cal's daughter can take up for herself and work that out on her own. More weird was how Bilas seemingly didn't understand why the picture would be a big deal.

I don't think a person should lose their mind over it, but it is bizarre that Bilas wouldn't understand why it would be a problem for folks.

Again, nobody will remember this by next Tuesday.
                    How is that article with Cal's picture any different than an article reporting that TV basketball analysts were taking money under the table to promote several teams....with Bilas' picture next to the headline? Would that be a "big deal" to him? Heck Yes, it would!

Comment

Get really SICK of hearing people tee off on UK fans. Are there some horses pattutes yes, BUT we have the biggest fans base in college basketball. Have any of you guys ever been to Bloomington or Baton Rogue or Memorial for a Vandy / UK game or the Swamp.There are more but holes there believe me and from a much smaller sample size. The fact is that in our crumbling society a certain percentage of people in a sample are going to be jerks, the bigger the sample the more of them ,with that said after going to numerous SEC tournaments and NCAA tournaments over the last 50 years I can tell you what I see, UK fans are the best most passionate and most loyal fans in basketball, AND they are the best behaved. I have never seen UK fans pelt cars with opposing teams logos with rocks and beer cans as I did before an NCAA tournament game at the Maravitch Center. I have never seen HUNDREDS of UK fans hurling vile curse words at the opposing players as they left the court as I did in Bloomington. I have never seen UK fans at Commonwealth pelt the opposing fans seating section with batteries as I saw ( and felt) in the Swamp. I never saw UK students throw condoms on the court during warmups at the feet of an opposing player who had been CLEARED of sexual misconduct previously as the did at Cameron Indoor, some of you guys don’t know what bad fans are.
                      Last edited by Jload; 02-06-2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I like Jay Bilas. I don’t think he’s been anti-UK or anti-Coach Cal in the past. (I don’t mind the visitor walking the floor at Rupp for that segment-but that’s a whole other issue and I believe him when he gave the explanation and added that it wasn’t uncommon.) One thing we have to keep in mind is these networks are not news agencies anymore as much as entertainment. Same goes for major news agencies like MSNBC & FOX News. They aren’t out for accuracy-just ratings. That’s the same with the Oregonian printing Cal’s picture with the article and the stuff ESPN does and many other media outlets. BUT... Bilas seemed to take offense to the insinuation that he compromised his journalistic integrity. What about Cal’s integrity? I believe Bilas would be singing a different tune if Cal or a coach tweeted an article featuring his face about biased journalism or journalists that were involved in bribery or some other immoral or illegal activity. Would he defend someone who circulated an article such as this with his face pictured? Even if he agreed with the content, would he share it and defend the photo as a “stock photo” or whatever BS he tried to use when talking to Matt Jones? That article may have been Pulitzer Prize worthy (I didn’t read it) but the pic was somewhere between misleading and trolling, and Bilas shouldn’t feed into that as a “journalist with integrity”.

Comment

Jay Bilas vs. the Entire Big Blue Nation

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X