Will the SEC tourney count this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the SEC tourney count this year?

For as long as I can remember the SEC tournament has not mattered when it comes to selection Sunday. Basically, at the end of the season, our ranking is all that matters. .....Unless this year is different.

I doubt it will matter. Seems like the post season tourneys are mainly for the guys that the tourney championship is their only shot.
    everybody else is a payday.

Comment

If KY loses it will matter. If KY wins we will hear that it had no weight on the Seedings. Just my 2 cents.
      Proverbs 25:24

Comment

The tournament matters. The final does not. UK, LSU or UT will drop in position by losing before Sunday. In other words it can only hurt, never help unless an unexpected team wins it to get an unexpected bid. But that's unlikely. One of the big 3 will take it.

I'm the last person who would ever take up for the NCAA but if the SEC really wants to change the way their tourney final is viewed by the committee they're clearly going to have to go to a Wed-Sat tourney rather than wrapping things up 3 hours before the bracket is revealed.
        Last edited by Catsrock; 02-24-2019, 06:46 AM.

Comment

It probably won't matter with regards to seeding, but it will give us a good indication of where we are heading into the Big Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
            The tournament matters. The final does not.
            Yeah, this is what I was going to say.

It's just the final day doesn't matter because of the time the final is played.

The only year I think we really, truly got screwed was in the year they stuck us in Ohio State's bracket and rewarded Florida with a 2 seed after we'd beaten them twice. That was the only time I almost had a meltdown.

There've been a couple of other times I thought they put us in the 4/5 or 8/9 slot because they wanted to set up that game against the 1-seed, but in those years we really couldn't complain too much because we'd dropped so many winnable games.

This particular team at this point should be a lock for at least a two unless something really weird happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Yeah, this is what I was going to say.

It's just the final day doesn't matter because of the time the final is played.

The only year I think we really, truly got screwed was in the year they stuck us in Ohio State's bracket and rewarded Florida with a 2 seed after we'd beaten them twice. That was the only time I almost had a meltdown.

There've been a couple of other times I thought they put us in the 4/5 or 8/9 slot because they wanted to set up that game against the 1-seed, but in those years we really couldn't complain too much because we'd dropped so many winnable games.

This particular team at this point should be a lock for at least a two unless something really weird happens.
              Will, I remember that Florida year, I was about to lose it.

Comment

The only way it will matter if we win it. It will add to the outstanding number of SEC Championships Kentucky has won.
                John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                  The only way it will matter if we win it. It will add to the outstanding number of SEC Championships Kentucky has won.
                  Definitely true.

However, it has to be mentioned that Cal's teams have won 6 SEC Tournament championships and 4 in a row. But of course our only national title came when we didn't win the title game on Sunday.

I think the SEC Championship game has actually been one of the best games of the season the last three or four years. Very hard-fought and played on a really high level. It's a shame it has always ended up not mattering in terms of our seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Definitely true.

However, it has to be mentioned that Cal's teams have won 6 SEC Tournament championships and 4 in a row. But of course our only national title came when we didn't win the title game on Sunday.

I think the SEC Championship game has actually been one of the best games of the season the last three or four years. Very hard-fought and played on a really high level. It's a shame it has always ended up not mattering in terms of our seed.
                    It's the SEC's fault. They insist on it being on a Sunday for some dumb reason. Makes absolutely no sense to me. The game means little because Selection committee has no time to make needed adjustments (I don't really blame them on this) and it takes away one day of rest from the teams before the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                      I supposed this is just more of my old school side showing through, but the SEC Championship doesn't mean anywhere near, to me, what it used to before the SEC Tournament was instituted to crown the champion. In the old days, when the champion was the team with the best record at the end of a 25 (or whatever the number was) game season that proved who the best team in the conference was in my opinion. Now a team with several losses more than some of the teams, going into the tournament, could get a hot hand and catch a better team having an off night and win the tournament and the SEC Championship.
                      Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

SEC tournament should end on Saturday (like most conferences). I don't understand why the tournament can't begin earlier; if it means moving regular season schedule up a week/days do it!

Comment

The SEC wants that prime slot when they're the only game on and a lot of eyeballs are on them because of Selection Sunday.

Comment

Will the SEC tourney count this year?

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X