Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Brother's Keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother's Keeper

Friends, we've had some special memories over the past 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDuCIb0bvI

This is what I imagine it was like in the 90's, but I was young then and a lot of it I don't recall. I worry when my son is old enough to begin appreciating UK basketball, the glory days of Cal will be over.
    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

The Cai era has been great and I suspect it's ending sooner rather than later. This program is strong and legendary. It's part of our DNA. I believe we'll be ok when he leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
        The Cai era has been great and I suspect it's ending sooner rather than later. This program is strong and legendary. It's part of our DNA. I believe we'll be ok when he leaves.
        I agree, Uncle Dave. No one is irreplaceable.
        Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Comment

I'll be a 62 year old man next month but this still brings tears to my eyes.
          Some people just don't understand that.

As far as the future.....always remember we've won championships with 5 different coaches.
          God, Family, Kentucky Basketball

Comment

Unless it's undeniably historic like the Rupp decades, how fun a coach's era is is probably contingent on how big of a fan you were at the time.

I loved the '90s but I had my own high school sports then and wasn't as tuned in as I am now. I actually loved Tubby's era but obviously you can't put it on the same level as Pitino or Cal. But I loved some of those teams.

Cal's era has probably been my favorite simply because I watch with so much more passion and intensity now. As far as whether or not Cal can be replaced, history shows that he can. When and how he leaves however will be critical, because it would be very easy for Cal to leave UK in the lurch simply because of the way he recruits and the types of players he recruits. That's what makes his leaving kind of a different animal than anybody else we've had in the past.

Comment

Yep, whoever UK's next coach is will really have to hit the ground running. There will be no "winning with Cal's players", they'll be in the NBA or somewhere else.

Comment

Kentucky will take a step back after Cal leaves, at least in the short term.

Minor disappointments and "what coulda beens" aside, our fans have become accustomed to a certain level of talent and success over the past decade, and I'm afraid there's going to be a harsh case of "don't know what you've got till it's gone," sooner than later.

Cal's exit will probably coincide with the age limit changing, so there will be a major culture shock at Kentucky and I'm afraid that a large portion of our fanbase is going to be less than receptive. One this is for sure: I do not envy the next coach's position, in the slightest.

Comment

^kck, then why is he making facetious comments about wanting to kiss Adam Silver? Cal can be fos at times but he seems to be pro-age limit change. You never know with him. He might coach another 5-6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                    ^kck, then why is he making facetious comments about wanting to kiss Adam Silver? Cal can be fos at times but he seems to be pro-age limit change. You never know with him. He might coach another 5-6 years.
                    As far as I understand, even if they changed the rule, it wouldn't go into effect until 2022. So you're adding three more years on top of the ten Cal has put in so far. In theory, he could be like K and retire at Kentucky well into his seventies, but he doesn't strike me as that guy. So even if it doesn't coincide exactly, I would be surprised if he stayed much longer than that. He does seem much more excited and energized this year -- I think losing Zion truly did re-light the fire that Wisconsin stomped out. He would probably never admit it publically, but I think that Wisconsin loss did more to Cal's psyche than it did to our fanbase, which is to say a lot.

Five more years is the max I'm giving him at Kentucky. Obviously, I hope he coaches until he's 100, but I don't think that's in the cards.

Comment

I started UK fandom in 74. Been a lot of fun teams.
                      Lot of basketball heroics. Some falls as well....Georgetown. Duke. Wisconsin. North Carolina too many times.
                      45 years of players.
                      Too many to give their due.
                      Heckuva ride.

Comment

Man i love Kentucky basketball, thankful i was borned and raised here able to experience it all. Also, coach Cal has aged here, this is still not for everyone. .
                        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Great video and incredible run and UK should have at least one more title. I wish I could still hear Cawood call the games.

....and when Cal leaves Kentucky will survive. We always do and another coach will bring UK a title.

Comment

I first introduced myself as a "newbie" in comparison to WCN family. I'm of the Cal era, that's when I became a fan...all the way in CA so watching this video made my eyes water. Very fond memories, I miss a lot of players. That 14/15 team was my favorite...a dream unfulfilled. I was watching the last five min of the IN vs WI game yesterday and was so happy IU won, I STILL hate WISCONSIN, I root for anyone against them!
                            Last edited by 85 Fly; 02-28-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Brother's Keeper

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X