Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

UCLA Poised to Make Run at John Calipari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Not to be 'that guy' and I don't think he's at all going to leave, but...the word 'plan' keeps the door open just slightly.
    I think the door will always be open no matter what he says. Jobs change, feelings change, he might have a bad year and get excoriated, his boss might change etc.

I plan to remain with my current employer in my current city until retirement, but plans can change.

I feel pretty comfortable that he isn't going anywhere unless something really unexpected comes up. (like LeBron and AD on the same team in LA with a lottery pick)
    Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I think the door will always be open no matter what he says. Jobs change, feelings change, he might have a bad year and get excoriated, his boss might change etc.

I plan to remain with my current employer in my current city until retirement, but plans can change.

I feel pretty comfortable that he isn't going anywhere unless something really unexpected comes up. (like LeBron and AD on the same team in LA with a lottery pick)
      And Cousins is a free agent at the end of this season and would take a paycut to sign with LA, Lebron would rework his deal to free up cap space, lots of things can happen.

With that being said, 82 games a year and the day in and day out grind of a NBA schedule may be more than Cal would want to chew off at this point of his career....
      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

UCLA seems like a job that would've fit Young Cal. Old(ish) Cal I'm not so sure.

First there's the massive problem of the Pac-12. That league stinks for many reasons. One, the flagship program UCLA has only had three or four flashes since Wooden retired in the '70s. Also, you ever notice how you can't find Pac-12 basketball on television? The time difference is huge, as is the fact that ESPN really doesn't attempt to get much Pac-12 basketball on the air. And you rarely ever see it in primetime on the weekends.

There's a reason that conference has been garbage for a long time. Their only hope is to lure Gonzaga in and get a couple of these other teams (Oregon and UCLA notably) to wake up. But it's so hard to keep west coast talent out there when the spotlight is really dim on the league as a whole.

There is a ton of talent in California. If Cal could just keep California-born players home he could field a contender. But it's still a true rebuilding job that I'm not sure Cal at 60 would be up for. It seems like a job that would've fit him after he got fired at Memphis, not as a move from Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
          UCLA seems like a job that would've fit Young Cal. Old(ish) Cal I'm not so sure.

First there's the massive problem of the Pac-12. That league stinks for many reasons. One, the flagship program UCLA has only had three or four flashes since Wooden retired in the '70s. Also, you ever notice how you can't find Pac-12 basketball on television? The time difference is huge, as is the fact that ESPN really doesn't attempt to get much Pac-12 basketball on the air. And you rarely ever see it in primetime on the weekends.

There's a reason that conference has been garbage for a long time. Their only hope is to lure Gonzaga in and get a couple of these other teams (Oregon and UCLA notably) to wake up. But it's so hard to keep west coast talent out there when the spotlight is really dim on the league as a whole.

There is a ton of talent in California. If Cal could just keep California-born players home he could field a contender. But it's still a true rebuilding job that I'm not sure Cal at 60 would be up for. It seems like a job that would've fit him after he got fired at Memphis, not as a move from Kentucky.
          Honestly i can't see Cal running from the SEC now that the SEC has become a league of coaches and competition, SEC has changed big time the past few years in regards to talent and quality of coaches in the league.....
          I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Clarifying my above post:

I meant it would've been a good job after Cal left the Grizzlies under Larry Brown. He wasn't fired from there, of course.

Comment

Cal would've been great there in 2009 had he gone there instead of Kentucky (I know it wasn't an option then, just saying it would've been). Firing Ben Howland was pretty dumb, though.

But I agree, Cal's recruiting here has fallen off considerably. They wouldn't like what they got out there.
              When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

As do I - I personally think the UCLA stuff was a plant to shut down any talk of him leaving after the season and make Cal look like he's still highly desirable in the coaching community. As a program, UCLA is on par with IU I think, in that outside of a few flashes, their best days were a generation ago. For a lot of reasons, UCLA would be a downgrade and I don't think Cal's ego could handle having to compete with the Lakers.

I think Cal retires at Kentucky and moves to a beach somewhere when he's done here. But if i weren't so confident, that denial wouldn't really placate me.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

But I agree, Cal's recruiting here has fallen off considerably. They wouldn't like what they got out there.
                  California has massive advantages Kentucky doesn't have in terms of high school talent. It's much easier there than it is here, where there's very little big-time talent in the state.

With Miller leaving Arizona Cal might think he could control the west.

Comment

California has massive advantages Kentucky doesn't have in terms of high school talent. It's much easier there than it is here, where there's very little big-time talent in the state.

Did I miss this? I didn't think the coaching carousel had started up yet.

Comment

Did I miss this? I didn't think the coaching carousel had started up yet.
                      I've heard that he'll likely step down.

Comment

I've heard that he'll likely step down.
                        I'm not surprised at all, I just haven't heard it.

Comment

Is Miller taking the UCLA job by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

Is Miller taking the UCLA job by any chance?
                            As long as the cloud of suspicion is hanging over him, probably not.

Comment

Miller's last speech sounded like a farewell address.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

UCLA Poised to Make Run at John Calipari

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X