Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Wofford Terriers vs Kentucky (Game Thread)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Very Proud of #13 Baker! What a job on both sides of the court. Happy we are moving on. HOpe to hear good news on PJ! GO BIG BLUE!
    Proverbs 25:24

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
      O how I wish Cal would push the ball just once to finish a game! We have this team on their heels and need to play up tempo to finish them off.
      Do not understand trying to take the air out of the ball! I mean if your up 20 with 2 minutes to go, OK. But not when it is a close game. Almost like Football playing Prevent Defense. Just do not like that type of mentality.
      Proverbs 25:24

      Comment


      • Wofford guard 0-12 talking smack today, if Herro and KJ played average on offense yesterday we blow them out of the gym...
        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Pobilly View Post

          Do not understand trying to take the air out of the ball! I mean if your up 20 with 2 minutes to go, OK. But not when it is a close game. Almost like Football playing Prevent Defense. Just do not like that type of mentality.
          I have always assumed Cal is operating on some kind of "limit possessions" analytics. I think we only notice it when we lose. (Similar to alleged "playing not to lose" in football)

          According to "Basketball on Paper: Rules and Tools for Performance Analysis" By Dean Oliver

          Based on statistical analyses, the four most important keys for team success in basketball and their relative weights, in parentheses, are:
          • Shoot a high field goal percentage (10).
          • Do not commit turnovers (5-6).
          • Get offensive rebounds (4-5).
          • Get to the foul line frequently (2-3).

          Teams that consistently win basketball games do at least three of these things well.


          the slow down strategy works by reducing the number of possessions each team has. This reduces the better team's advantages and makes the outcome more variable. Similarly, the other risky strategies make results more variable in different ways. For that reason, the otherwise superior team should avoid risky strategies. Oliver describes how Rick Pitino's talented Kentucky teams may have lost some games by pressing.


          So... When we are the better team, we shouldn't play fast or slow, but run our stuff and be efficient. When we are the underdog, "Risky" strategies make the outcomes more variable. (meaning the underdog wins more often)

          This guy, also claims "defense wins" championships is bunk in basketball. More like offensive efficiency...
          Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

          Comment


          • I actually thought the decision to grind a little was a decent one Saturday. Usually I don't think that but with a team that can throw in crazy threes like that you have to limit the number of possessions you give them.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
              This guy, also claims "defense wins" championships is bunk in basketball. More like offensive efficiency...
              Defense helps serve to depress offensive efficiency. In that vein it does help win championship, but it must be couple by efficient offensive decisions. As we've seen, to win a championship you must be very good on both ends of the court, or at least good enough such that the other side offsets it.

              A little luck or some closed eyes as you hook & hold never hurt, either.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                I actually thought the decision to grind a little was a decent one Saturday. Usually, I don't think that but with a team that can throw in crazy threes like that, you have to limit the number of possessions you give them.
                Same.
                Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

                  Defense helps serve to depress offensive efficiency. In that vein it does help win championship, but it must be couple by efficient offensive decisions. As we've seen, to win a championship you must be very good on both ends of the court, or at least good enough such that the other side offsets it.

                  A little luck or some closed eyes as you hook & hold never hurt, either.
                  I think the author is making the case that the best defensive teams don't win as often as the teams with the best offensive efficiency.
                  Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

                    I think the author is making the case that the best defensive teams don't win as often as the teams with the best offensive efficiency.
                    You;re probably right. Our improved defense has been the dominate is a lot of our wins, and has improved more than our offense. I think the grind Saturday was a good move because our offense was less than steller.
                    John 3:3

                    Comment

                     

                    A Word From Our Founder

                    With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                    Wofford Terriers vs Kentucky (Game Thread)

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X