Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Who Stays Who Goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only problem I see with these kids getting advice from agents is this. Agents make their living off the decisions these kids make, and although I know there are good agents with integrity, each player should make their decision from what they learn from NBA folks, not agents.
    John 3:3

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
      The only problem I see with these kids getting advice from agents is this. Agents make their living off the decisions these kids make, and although I know there are good agents with integrity, each player should make their decision from what they learn from NBA folks, not agents.
      There is no guarantee that family or coaches who advise athletes are operating in their best interests or with accurate information. The financially motivated agent has incentive to provide correct advice to make sure they get paid. Herro's agent would likely prefer to collect 10% of 6million dollars (lottery pick) in one year than 10% of 3 million dollars this year. Also, the endorsement opportunities for a lottery pick vs. a late round pick vary significantly.
      Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

• Generally you might worry that an agent could press the player to stay in, but since all these guys are going to have agents it probably comes out as a wash in the long run.

If Herro and Johnson were the only ones with agents it might be a concern. That the field is going to be packed with guys who all might be getting the same advice makes it probably not that big of a worry.

If on May 29th Herro is projected where he's projected by most of the mocks, which is right outside the lottery, then I would assume he stays in. If some other players outperform him in the evaluations and Herro slips down into the 20s he might come back. He seems more up in the air than Johnson--probably because they know he's in a bit of a better place than Johnson right now.

But these things can dramatically change. There will be a few underclassmen who come out of nowhere and work out great, and there might be a couple of foreign players who jump up into the lottery mix.

Comment

• In my opinion Herro will return. I think the kid is a winner who enjoys college and he's not a top 20 pick,not yet.
          I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
            In my opinion Herro will return. I think the kid is a winner who enjoys college and he's not a top 20 pick,not yet.
            If he's not a top 20 pick then he's right there. It's going to be very close.

I don't think there are 20 more intriguing players than him.

Comment

• Immanuel Quickley will return to Kentucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                Immanuel Quickley will return to Kentucky.
                Interesting and good news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

There is no guarantee that family or coaches who advise athletes are operating in their best interests or with accurate information. The financially motivated agent has incentive to provide correct advice to make sure they get paid. Herro's agent would likely prefer to collect 10% of 6million dollars (lottery pick) in one year than 10% of 3 million dollars this year. Also, the endorsement opportunities for a lottery pick vs. a late round pick vary significantly.
                  Oh I agree with what you say. I just remember how two former UK players turned out. Antoine Walker and Sam Bowie. Walker made way more money in his Pro career than Bowie. Bowie gives his agent credit for being a tough but truthful man and he's set financially for life. I know nothing about Walker's agent but maybe if he had been tougher on Antoine, he would be set too.

Comment

• The international players are a big part of this. I could tell you absolutely nothing about any overseas talent, yet usually there are quite a few selected.
                    I agree Herro is a first rounder, but his agent may be able to give him feedback on not only the competition he faces in the draft this year but also next season. There is also a legitimate thought that he may go through a Keith Bogans scenario...not be quite where he wants, comes back and is actually WORSE, then have to stay yet one more season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

Oh I agree with what you say. I just remember how two former UK players turned out. Antoine Walker and Sam Bowie. Walker made way more money in his Pro career than Bowie. Bowie gives his agent credit for being a tough but truthful man and he's set financially for life. I know nothing about Walker's agent but maybe if he had been tougher on Antoine, he would be set too.
                      Antoine made more money in the NBA than Bowie could conceive of. His agent can’t stop him from sustaining a 30 person entourage who felt they could live large by virtue of being distantly related to Toine.

He also made every stupid business “investment” one can make.

All of this is to say, agents aren’t inherently more dishonest or exploitative than say coach, baby mama, mom, dad, uncle Larry, and childhood mentor guy.

One needs many wise counselors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Antoine made more money in the NBA than Bowie could conceive of. His agent can’t stop him from sustaining a 30 person entourage who felt they could live large by virtue of being distantly related to Toine.

He also made every stupid business “investment” one can make.

All of this is to say, agents aren’t inherently more dishonest or exploitative than say coach, baby mama, mom, dad, uncle Larry, and childhood mentor guy.

One needs many wise counselors.
                        That's for sure and I wish them all well. Of course Walker had a little gambling problem too, or that's what I heard.

Comment

• I think he tried to gamble like Jordan without Jordan's resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
                            I think he tried to gamble like Jordan without Jordan's resources.
                            He made over $100 million. That ain’t Jordan money but it’s on the right tail of NBA income distributions, and it’s enough to let you live the high life and still have some left over if you’re smart about it.
                            When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

• I think Antoine had the curse of some young athletes.....he was strong, popular, gifted and the money seemed unendless.
                              then time caught up to him

Comment

• You guys should watch Antione’s mini documentary... He was supporting 30 friends and extended family members who wanted to live like millionaires. Every one who was in his life at all felt like they made it when he did. I’m not sure gambling had anything to do with it.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Who Stays Who Goes?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X