Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Who Stays Who Goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    I think he'll be a very good pro. We went to watch an NBA game recently and all those guys have multiple skills, which PJ has. In the right situation he could have a very solid career.
    PJ's transformation this year was spectacular. I didn't care for him at all last season - thought he was very lazy. This season, when he asserted himself - he was very good and I really came to like him. However - I don't see him becoming a very good pro. I see him more of a Trey Lyles type guy. Just an NBA guy that's going to average about 8 to 10 at best and 4-7 rebounds... I don't see him becoming anything other than that. He'll stick in the NBA and have a good little career but he won't be anything over the top.

Comment

I think Tyler might get abused next year by some of the guys in the NBA.
      When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

It doesn't matter if they're ready, it matters where they're projected to go. Where was Tre Jones projected?
        I thought Tre Jones did well this season but there would be no chance in hell that I would consider taking him over Herro. Herro is a flat baller and will be a solid pro. Maybe not a superstar but a solid player.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
          I think Tyler might get abused next year by some of the guys in the NBA.
          All rookies get abused.

Herro wasn't a great defender when guys tried to drive him, but he's willing to work--as we saw in the Wofford game.

One thing he does at an elite level is hunt the ball. Both he and Johnson will go get the basketball off the rim, and Herro has this knack of finding loose balls out in space. Very marketable skill.

We've had guards at Kentucky, good ones, who didn't care whatsoever about rebounding and the toughness stats.

Comment

I'm holding out hope that he plays 40 games for Kentucky, but if he goes he's making a team and he's playing every night.

Hell of an offensive player. Ready for the NBA now on that end. Needs to get a lot stronger but that goes for most 19-year-olds. NBA won't be too concerned with that.

The only question is whether he thinks strength, more consistency, and honing that outside shot to the point where it's +40% is enough of an enticement to bring him back to school.
            You are vastly overrating him or have never seen a NBA game before. Herro had as many games scoring 6 or less as he did 20 or more.

I think he can be a tremendous college player next year. But he is not a hell of an offensive player, not yet and especially not in the NBA right now. Not shooting 35% from 3 and 46% overall.

Comment

Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post
              Herro had as many games scoring 6 or less as he did 20 or more.
              So did Eric Bledsoe.

Comment

All rookies get abused.

Herro wasn't a great defender when guys tried to drive him, but he's willing to work--as we saw in the Wofford game.

One thing he does at an elite level is hunt the ball. Both he and Johnson will go get the basketball off the rim, and Herro has this knack of finding loose balls out in space. Very marketable skill.

We've had guards at Kentucky, good ones, who didn't care whatsoever about rebounding and the toughness stats.
                Not disagreeing with you. He has a ton of intangibles but I don't think he plays much next year in the NBA.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post

I thought Tre Jones did well this season but there would be no chance in hell that I would consider taking him over Herro. Herro is a flat baller and will be a solid pro. Maybe not a superstar but a solid player.
                  My thoughts as well.

He's another in that line of players who, were he to come into the program in 1999 instead of 2019, we wouldn't be talking about him as a pro. But because there are so many players who enter the NBA who are raw, Herro (and Johnson) are in the upper quadrant of players like that.

And again, UK fans rarely look at the draft itself when talking about this stuff. They look at the player's flaws, all the bad things he did, the times he got beat. But rarely ever do they look at what this particular draft is going to look like and the types of players who will be in that 15-30 range, which is where Johnson and Herro are being projected.

When you look at those types of guys, they all have flaws. You don't see a Zion Williamson among them. That's why you see so many players taking a risk.

Most every time at UK the players who've jumped out early made the right decision. And yes, we've also had players come back who made the right decision. But you can only find a few guys who you could definitely, 100% say could've been helped by another year of college basketball. PJ Washington was definitely one. Hopefully Herro and Johnson see something there that they think they can emulate.

Comment

Another thing about Herro: great size for a guard.

People are mentioning Kyle Guy. Guy isn't a great comp for Herro. Herro is much more along the lines of a Devin Booker. His size gives him a big advantage over many guards in the field, and it's why he's much more marketable than somebody like Guy.

Comment

So did Eric Bledsoe.
                      Bledsoe wasn't relied on to score at UK like Herro was and Bledsoe was/is an absolute athletic freak.

Comment

Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post

Bledsoe wasn't relied on to score at UK like Herro was and Bledsoe was/is an absolute athletic freak.
                        Regardless, it's a meaningless statistic that will mean literally zero to NBA scouts. Bam Abedayo can also be thrown into that same boat. Kevin Knox is not that far off, nor is De'Aaron Fox for that matter if you want to talk about single-digit scoring games.

It's cherry picking.

Herro has an elite offensive game. He isn't an elite shooter yet. Personally as a fan I hope the NBA knocks him for that, but with his size and his ability to do multiple things all over the court I would assume they'll project him in the later part of the first round, which is where most of the guys I read have talked about him. (BTW, the leader in three-point percentage in the NBA this year shot 36% as a college freshman.)

As I said above, Johnson is a little harder to read but the advantage Johnson has is that he was thought to be a lottery pick for much of the season.

Comment

Here's a primer on the big dates and some of the rule changes. May 29th is, per usual, the date when all has to be decided.

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...and-key-dates/

Comment

I don't think Herro plays much next year in the NBA, but I really don't think Johnson does. Johnson strikes me as the quintessential guy who could make a PJ like leap into an absolutely stud.

But the difference between the two is that PJ wasn't really a first rounder, where as Johnson is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                              I don't think Herro plays much next year in the NBA, but I really don't think Johnson does. Johnson strikes me as the quintessential guy who could make a PJ like leap into an absolutely stud.

But the difference between the two is that PJ wasn't really a first rounder, where as Johnson is.
                              Depends where you looked w/r/t PJ last year. I think PJ probably would have gone in the first but it would've likely been at the tail end.

Probably not much difference in the three players to be honest, but a lot depends on their workouts. PJ wasn't 100% in the workouts (remember those broken fingers) but Herro and Johnson should be. That may or may not matter but with all those guys it'll likely be about what the teams in that range are looking for.

We have to remember, this is an NBA where Isaiah Briscoe of all people logged 26 minutes just this past weekend. Herro and Johnson are going to be absolutely fine. They aren't the types of can't-miss players who should definitely go without thinking twice, but both are going to be drafted and they'll both be contributors next year if they do jump.

One interesting thing with Keldon Johnson is that he has a little bit of a personality like Terrence Jones did after his freshman year. He also reminds you oddly of PJ Washington as a freshman, but it's mostly the way he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if his maturity is something that's discussed a little, but I have nothing to go on other than simply observations of him through my TV screen.

Comment

Depends where you looked w/r/t PJ last year. I think PJ probably would have gone in the first but it would've likely been at the tail end.

Probably not much difference in the three players to be honest, but a lot depends on their workouts. PJ wasn't 100% in the workouts (remember those broken fingers) but Herro and Johnson should be. That may or may not matter but with all those guys it'll likely be about what the teams in that range are looking for.

We have to remember, this is an NBA where Isaiah Briscoe of all people logged 26 minutes just this past weekend. Herro and Johnson are going to be absolutely fine. They aren't the types of can't-miss players who should definitely go without thinking twice, but both are going to be drafted and they'll both be contributors next year if they do jump.

One interesting thing with Keldon Johnson is that he has a little bit of a personality like Terrence Jones did after his freshman year. He also reminds you oddly of PJ Washington as a freshman, but it's mostly the way he plays. I wouldn't be surprised if his maturity is something that's discussed a little, but I have nothing to go on other than simply observations of him through my TV screen.
                                Yeah, but Briscoe also spent a lot of time in the D-league and overseas, I believe. He didn't immediately latch on to a team. I think Herro and Johnson are absolutely going to play in the NBA, I just don't think it'll be next year. The question will be whether Herro and Johnson want to spend another year in college working on their game and trying to make themselves a better NBA player, or whether they want to make a go at it next year in the NBA. The risk is that you can wind up in the G-league.

Rex Chapman was on KSR this morning talking about how much PJ made himself this year, both in terms of his rookie contract and how he's setting himself up for a better 2nd deal. That'll be the pitch Cal makes to Herro and Johnson.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Who Stays Who Goes?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X