Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seth Davis: Kentucky offers Calipari a lifetime contract

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seth Davis: Kentucky offers Calipari a lifetime contract

    I don't subscribe to The Athletic so I can't read this beyond the preview snippet.

    https://theathletic.com/900121/2019/...ucla-interest/
    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

  • #2
    From another site, UCLA apparently offered Cal less money (which he declined) and moved on to the next tier of candidates.
    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

    Comment


    • #3
      According to Seth Davis over at The Athletic, Kentucky has offered John Calipari yet another contract extension, this time for life.

      The way Davis’ story reads, it sounds like Kentucky got a little worried about Calipari’s talks with UCLA, after granting him permission to speak to the Bruins about its head coaching job. UCLA offered Calipari a contract worth $48 million over six years, says Davis, but Cal declined the offer.

      From the story:
      The new contract would include a 10-year term as coach plus a promise to serve as a paid ambassador for the school after his retirement. Calipari’s current contract runs through 2024, after an extension in 2017.” [The Athletic]
      So to recap, UCLA offered Calipari a pay cut (before accounting for California taxes) and UK came back with an extension?

      Man, Cal is a master negotiator.

      Now make him feel appreciated in Lexington.

      http://kentuckysportsradio.com/baske...er-ucla-offer/
      When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

      Comment


      • #4
        It sucks sometimes and i don't agree with everything Cal does but if they offer and he accepts, i have no problem with it at all. What if i was a Duke fan and my team had just lost with Zion( THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER EVER TO STEP ON THE BASEKETBALL COURT), Barrett, etc, you think i would be all happy and be a yes man to Coach K? We are not the only team falling short, college basketball gets crazy and young men blow it on the big stage, just happens. I just wish we could have that one game back against Wisconsin, we would be sitting here talking about that 40-0 team and how it was the greatest college team of all time......
        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

        Comment


        • #5
          Carolina fans love there team as much as us, they just got blown out in the NCAA tournament, again crazy things happen in the tournament, Cal still finds a way to make it work...
          I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not so sure about giving long term contracts to coaches in their 60's, no matter how good they are. If I was a school pres. or a. d. looking for a bb coach I would be inclined to look at some younger up and comer such as Texas Tech's coach.
            Life Comes At You Fast

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
              I'm not so sure about giving long term contracts to coaches in their 60's, no matter how good they are. If I was a school pres. or a. d. looking for a bb coach I would be inclined to look at some younger up and comer such as Texas Tech's coach.
              Are you referring to UCLA's AD or Mitch Barnhart?

              If Mitch Barnhart, it doesn't sound like he's giving a raise or any real extension, mostly just an agreement that Cal can coach at UK for as long as he wants, as well as get paid for being an ambassador when he retires.

              Cal was always going to coach at UK as long as he wanted.
              When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                Are you referring to UCLA's AD or Mitch Barnhart?

                If Mitch Barnhart, it doesn't sound like he's giving a raise or any real extension, mostly just an agreement that Cal can coach at UK for as long as he wants, as well as get paid for being an ambassador when he retires.

                Cal was always going to coach at UK as long as he wanted.
                I'm referring to Mitch. If I'm not mistaken, coach Cal's contract is up in five years (2024). The deal he's being offered would add five more years to his contract and would put him at age 70 which, if I'm not mistaken would mean he'd have to retire anyway due to 70 being the mand. ret. age.
                Life Comes At You Fast

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

                  I'm referring to Mitch. If I'm not mistaken, coach Cal's contract is up in five years (2024). The deal he's being offered would add five more years to his contract and would put him at age 70 which, if I'm not mistaken would mean he'd have to retire anyway due to 70 being the mand. ret. age.
                  Either way, Cal's going to coach at UK as long as he wants to coach at UK unless there's some sort of scandal or something.
                  When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                    Either way, Cal's going to coach at UK as long as he wants to coach at UK unless there's some sort of scandal or something.
                    Exactly.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

                      I'm referring to Mitch. If I'm not mistaken, coach Cal's contract is up in five years (2024). The deal he's being offered would add five more years to his contract and would put him at age 70 which, if I'm not mistaken would mean he'd have to retire anyway due to 70 being the mand. ret. age.
                      There is no such thing as a mandatory retirement age. This isn't the 1960s or a US airline.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Cal has now signed a new contract at UK

                        https://twitter.com/JonHale_CJ/statu...419893762?s=20

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post

                          There is no such thing as a mandatory retirement age. This isn't the 1960s or a US airline.
                          I guess I'm a little behind the times.
                          Life Comes At You Fast

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post

                            There is no such thing as a mandatory retirement age. This isn't the 1960s or a US airline.
                            Thanks, I wasn’t sure if this was the case or not so I let it slide.
                            When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post
                              Cal has now signed a new contract at UK

                              https://twitter.com/JonHale_CJ/statu...419893762?s=20
                              I'm glad. I like generational coaches as the face of programs. Of course he's a wealthy man and could still leave whenever he wants. But it feels like he's happy here and not ready to hang it up.

                              Comment

                              Seth Davis: Kentucky offers Calipari a lifetime contract

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X