Opinion topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion topic

This isn't to start confrontations....just conversation.
    None of the final four teams are OAD central. Izzo mixes it some, but isn't usually totally frosh dependant. To be honest, only a couple of championship teams have truly relied on first year stars.

So....in your opinion, is the bloom coming off the rose of OAD or is this years abscence of super-frosh dominance just a temporary blip?

I don't think the 5* kids change their desire to use a school to get where they want to go. But with the Grad Transfer Rule, it might change coaches minds about always bringing in new High School Stars every year. I wonder if Cal will move somewhat away from the OAD's since his experience with Travis. I do think Cal has been more careful about who he signs. Case in point, the kid who went to IU. But I do think he thought he had Zion and Wiseman.
    John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
      This isn't to start confrontations....just conversation.
      None of the final four teams are OAD central. Izzo mixes it some, but isn't usually totally frosh dependant. To be honest, only a couple of championship teams have truly relied on first year stars.

So....in your opinion, is the bloom coming off the rose of OAD or is this years abscence of super-frosh dominance just a temporary blip?
      It isn’t an either or thing. Have enough talent and be playing well this time of year and you can make a run. Duke, UK, and UNC made it to the elite eight with reliance on OAD players as part of that. If uk hits a two footer in regulation, we are in the final 4.

In my view OAD works best with one or two transcendent freshmen spicing up a team of soph, juniors, and seniors with talent enough to play pro somewhere when they leave.
      Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

It isn’t an either or thing. Have enough talent and be playing well this time of year and you can make a run. Duke, UK, and UNC made it to the elite eight with reliance on OAD players as part of that. If uk hits a two footer in regulation, we are in the final 4.

In my view OAD works best with one or two transcendent freshmen spicing up a team of soph, juniors, and seniors with talent enough to play pro somewhere when they leave.
        This pretty much says it all.
        John 3:3

Comment

Totally agree as well said, but a fan base has to be willing to endure some “off years” as it highly unlikely to keep the right balance of talented upper classmen each year to compliment the transcendent talent. I doubt we, as KY fans, are typically going to accept off years.

That being said, I still firmly believe to be a threat each and every year, you have to have top tier talent...the best available, and that’s usually super freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Wamcat View Post

Totally agree as well said, but a fan base has to be willing to endure some “off years” as it highly unlikely to keep the right balance of talented upper classmen each year to compliment the transcendent talent. I doubt we, as KY fans, are typically going to accept off years.

That being said, I still firmly believe to be a threat each and every year, you have to have top tier talent...the best available, and that’s usually super freshmen.
            I’m surprised we haven’t had more off years than we have had. When the new NBA rules go into effect it will be interesting to see how Cal recalibrates How he assembles a team in recruiting.

I think if we can be more stable year to year, that is preferable. Maybe it produces a more fluid team offense...

Comment

I think Cal will go after the best players not entering the NBA out of high school and if the trend continues, they will leave after one year at UK. Not much will change other than less top NBA ready recruits available.

Comment

We've lost in the Elite 8 twice in the last 4 years, and both times we had our shots to win at the end. That sucks, but it's not an indictment of the system. There have been two titles in the last decade with the one-and-done approach - that ain't bad. But you also have to look at the success teams have had with alternate approaches. Villanova won two titles in 3 years, but they were pretty mediocre this year. Virginia lost to a 16 seed last year. Auburn has been pretty mediocre until the last month. If there's a criticism of Cal to be had, it's that he isn't getting the type of players you need to make it work.

I actually am not sure that a lot will change when the one-and-done rules go away, at least in the long run. Some will make the jump immediately, but most will not. People point to Zion, but I don't think anyone expected him to blow up like he did this year. Of the 3 super freshmen, I think he might have been the lowest rated (but someone fact check me) and actually had a lower ranking than RJ and Cam. College basketball was very good for Zion (and most, honestly) and I think the one-and-done will still be around for awhile.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

I also think you have to look at the distribution of our tournament success. If you'd told me a decade ago when cal got here that we'd go to 4 final fours over the next decade and it'd be more than any other program in that time, I and most people would be thrilled. Oh, it's gonna happen in 5 years? Fantastic!

The bloom isn't off the OAD rose, it's just more programs are realizing it's a way to win.
                  When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

The more I think about it... no team has more wins than Kentucky since Cal got here. Other teams have more titles in that span, but when you add up wins, final 4s, elite eights etc Kentucky is on top. Cal may know what he is doing. (Hat tip Matt Jones for pointing this out)

Comment

The more I think about it... no team has more wins than Kentucky since Cal got here. Other teams have more titles in that span, but when you add up wins, final 4s, elite eights etc Kentucky is on top. Cal may know what he is doing. (Hat tip Matt Jones for pointing this out)
                      Agreed. One thing about Cal i am confident in is he will adapt and change with the times. I think if he can continue to get the best he can get out of high school along with a few grad transfers etc, he may have just found a new formula for success.

It would be easy to say "get rid of Cal" or "he can't win the big ones" but if that's the case, i guess Duke Carolina even Kansas should be looking for coaches as well. Cal is not the only coach coming up short, it happens to everyone. Like i said, the one game that will haunt me will always be the Wisconsin game, we win that game and we are talking about the first modern day team that won a Championship and went 40-0....
                      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

The hard part about doing it with one and dones is that you have to be extremely loaded and the kids have to be legit coming out of HS. Some years the top recruit wouldn't be a top 15 recruit in a different class, just look at the Poythress class. You can win with freshman but you have to have at least a couple players with a year or two under their belt. This probably would've been one of those years that if a coach landed the right freshman they could've won a title, like I have said in other threads Duke was just one sharp shooter away from having a team that probably would've won. The only other team I would compare to Dukes team this year was Cals first season here, but he had some experience to mix in with that group. Same with them though, we all knew their shooting would hurt them at some point and it did. It still makes me sick to my stomach reminiscing how Meeks didn't come back for that season, and instead got drafted in the second round, even though he said numerous times he would come back if he wasn't guaranteed a first rounder. Can you imagine that team with Meeks on the floor?!

Comment

Opinion topic

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X