Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Title Game Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Congratulations to both teams and especially Virginia. That was an entertaining basketball game. And, I thought a very well officiated game as well. Like JJ, I really believe we blew a great opportunity to win # 9.
    John 3:3

    Comment


    • #32
      I agree. When UK was at the best, it was a VERY good team.
      for some reason, and this is not saying the other teams weren't good, Kentucky couldn't get it back on full track after Travis and Washington's returns. Maybe chemistry, maybe anything. The sync just was off enough to end the season.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by 40bill View Post
        I agree. When UK was at the best, it was a VERY good team.
        for some reason, and this is not saying the other teams weren't good, Kentucky couldn't get it back on full track after Travis and Washington's returns. Maybe chemistry, maybe anything. The sync just was off enough to end the season.
        Not sure if PJ being 100% would've changed anything, but he definitely looked a bit off.

        But really I think Hagans was the main problem. Your guards have to be rock solid in March. Hagans regressed pretty much from February on.

        But this tournament was one of the more unusual that I've seen simply because Virginia got so many fortunate bounces to win the title, and the whole tournament was more of a testament to the rule that you have to be hot in March. So many teams that made deep runs looked like garbage at one point or another during the season. We talk a lot about what the most important thing in the sport is. Three-point shooting, experience vs. talent, top 5 stars, NBA draft picks, seniors, teams that score 80 points a game, teams that are in the top 5 in defensive efficiency, etc.

        It looks like the most important thing though in this particular tournament was being hot at the right time. This tournament was the ultimate study in luck.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

          Not sure if PJ being 100% would've changed anything, but he definitely looked a bit off.

          But really I think Hagans was the main problem. Your guards have to be rock solid in March. Hagans regressed pretty much from February on.

          But this tournament was one of the more unusual that I've seen simply because Virginia got so many fortunate bounces to win the title, and the whole tournament was more of a testament to the rule that you have to be hot in March. So many teams that made deep runs looked like garbage at one point or another during the season. We talk a lot about what the most important thing in the sport is. Three-point shooting, experience vs. talent, top 5 stars, NBA draft picks, seniors, teams that score 80 points a game, teams that are in the top 5 in defensive efficiency, etc.

          It looks like the most important thing though in this particular tournament was being hot at the right time. This tournament was the ultimate study in luck.
          Yes. The Feb/March Hagans would have had 50 turnovers against either of those teams. That's the main thing that held this team back. To win Championships your point guard has to be able to do at least three of these five things at a high level. Shoot, penetrate, distribute, on ball defend, protect the ball. Hagans couldn't do any of these things consistently at a high level.
          ​​​​​​

          Comment


          • #35
            I hate that March Madness is over.......until next year

            Comment


            • #36
              Love college basketball. Love the different styles. No cookie cutter way to success.

              I like both of those coaches a lot. Bennett is first class and Beard is going to be very rich at a bigger school before too long. Both do their thing very well, even though style over substance snobs hate them. UK fans turning their nose up at their low scoring style need to look at our scores and Cal's offense once in a while to get perspective.

              Lots of upperclassmen and transfers out there. Experience counts. Couldn't help thinking more than once that Kyle Guy is what Tyler Herro would be if he returned. But he wont. (Sigh)

              Virginia definitely got the breaks. Sometimes that's what it takes. Inept officials didn't hurt either. But I would have gladly taken the breaks they got.

              We all talk about changes needed. The big one is to reduce the time on official reviews. If you can't figure it out in 45 seconds, then the original call should stand. It's beyond ridiculous.

              Still a really fine tournament. Congrats to Virginia. We need number 9 badly. Cal needs to refocus, change his offense and get it done.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
                Think i would rather have a seasoned 3 star point who gets better each and every season instead of a hot shot freshman 5 star guard showcasing for the NBA learning as he goes,talking about you Hagans....
                Except when that 3 star point guard is a freshman and can't play without turning it over 9 times a game and we're all complaining about not having enough talent.

                Virginia has been good for a few years, but Texas Tech lost in the Elite 8 last year, Auburn has had pretty shoddy tournament performances, Tennessee and LSU lost in the Sweet 16.

                Experience is nice but you still need ballers.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                Comment


                • #38
                  What's weird about Virginia is that they have some experience, but they're not what you would call old. They had a freshmen point guard and one senior that got any minutes at all, and his minutes basically vanished throughout the year.

                  Virginia isn't really a lesson for how to build a team with the way they won this, IMO. If they would've steamrolled through then you could probably say there was a lesson to glean but since they got all those fortunate bounces I kind of chalk them up the way I do the 2010 Duke team and the 2003 Syracuse team and probably those UCONN teams: they were very, very fortunate.

                  The only thing you can say about Virginia is that they played team basketball, they didn't panic when the game got tight, and they played efficient basketball. Their ability to play long stretches of the game without turning it over is something that all teams should model. Turnovers kill in this game.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Virginia definitely got lucky, but they were experienced and knew how to gut out a win. UVA and Duke were arguably the two best teams from start to finish, and one of them won the title. They definitely got the benefit of the doubt on some calls. But they also made a bunch of plays down the stretch and deserved to win.

                    There was a time in January we looked as good as anyone and like we had a shot to win it all. That game where we beat Vandy by 30 in Nashville and Jimmy Dykes was singing on TV, I thought we had a good shot. When we demolished UT in Rupp by almost 20, I thought we had a good shot.


                    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                      I agree. When UK was at the best, it was a VERY good team.
                      for some reason, and this is not saying the other teams weren't good, Kentucky couldn't get it back on full track after Travis and Washington's returns. Maybe chemistry, maybe anything. The sync just was off enough to end the season.
                      I agree 100%, we was playing some great basketball and reaching a peak then Travis went down followed by PJ, seems like things got out of control. I wonder if someone like Hagans felt he needed to do more and step up with the injuries which may have caused him to start pressing more, i don't know? I do not want to put all the blame on Hagans but that kid was playing out of control his past few games...
                      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                        Except when that 3 star point guard is a freshman and can't play without turning it over 9 times a game and we're all complaining about not having enough talent.

                        Virginia has been good for a few years, but Texas Tech lost in the Elite 8 last year, Auburn has had pretty shoddy tournament performances, Tennessee and LSU lost in the Sweet 16.

                        Experience is nice but you still need ballers.
                        Not saying you start a 3 star point guard but more recruit and develop a guy, who knows? All i can say is this , the scouts and gurus sure in the hell missed on Texas Tech guards because those guys in that backcourt wasn't nothing special but played a helluva tournament. No doubt it takes a couple of studs on a team but not all 5 have to be 5 star Micky D's...
                        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          If we had just gone to one more Final Four or had won that title in 2015 none of us would be debating this. Find a program who's won more tournament games, been to more final fours and elite 8s, won more conference titles, etc. over the last decade. Three programs have won multiple titles in that decade, but they've also lost in the early rounds more than we have. I mean, UVA lost to a 16 seed last year.

                          I'll take consistently winning every year and having a shot versus any other system.
                          When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                            What's weird about Virginia is that they have some experience, but they're not what you would call old. They had a freshmen point guard and one senior that got any minutes at all, and his minutes basically vanished throughout the year.

                            Virginia isn't really a lesson for how to build a team with the way they won this, IMO. If they would've steamrolled through then you could probably say there was a lesson to glean but since they got all those fortunate bounces I kind of chalk them up the way I do the 2010 Duke team and the 2003 Syracuse team and probably those UCONN teams: they were very, very fortunate.

                            The only thing you can say about Virginia is that they played team basketball, they didn't panic when the game got tight, and they played efficient basketball. Their ability to play long stretches of the game without turning it over is something that all teams should model. Turnovers kill in this game.
                            I agree, i don't think Virginia is a blueprint to build a team, same with NOVA the past few years. If having a true point guard is the key to success, we all know Cal is going to continue to recruit the next big thing and hand him the keys year in and year out. Sometimes we get lucky with Fox or Wall but other times we fall short. What's sad is that i do think Green would have helped us this year when bad Hagans was off but it's also evident that the team started playing better when Quade left, i think it was a locker room distraction early on and it's a shame the situation didn't work itself out with Green staying on board this year....
                            I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

                              Not saying you start a 3 star point guard but more recruit and develop a guy, who knows? All i can say is this , the scouts and gurus sure in the hell missed on Texas Tech guards because those guys in that backcourt wasn't nothing special but played a helluva tournament. No doubt it takes a couple of studs on a team but not all 5 have to be 5 star Micky D's...
                              I agree, but those guys were transfers and 5th year seniors. That's how Texas Tech built their team.
                              When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                                If we had just gone to one more Final Four or had won that title in 2015 none of us would be debating this. Find a program who's won more tournament games, been to more final fours and elite 8s, won more conference titles, etc. over the last decade. Three programs have won multiple titles in that decade, but they've also lost in the early rounds more than we have. I mean, UVA lost to a 16 seed last year.

                                I'll take consistently winning every year and having a shot versus any other system.
                                I agree about the 2015 game, we go 40-0 and win it all the entire conversation is different. I am like you, sucks not to win it all this year because i really liked our team and the kids on it, just a bad game at the wrong time...
                                I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                                Comment

                                 

                                A Word From Our Founder

                                With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                                Title Game Thread

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X