X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ralph helm
    started a topic Title Game Thread

Title Game Thread

Has UVA ever won the National Championship??? I know UNC frustrated them a lot in the Ralph Sampson era!!!!!!!

• TrueblueCATfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_S1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	203872
    LMAO...saw this on Facebook yesterday

Leave a comment:

• ralph helm
    replied
    The season is over---when is our first exhibition game for the 19-20 season---I know-- it gonna be a long dry spell-- I have enjoyed being on here with you guys this season & look forward to next season. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Blue Heaven
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_S1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	203872

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Catatonic View Post
    If Cal truly started to underperform in real terms, not just our insane expectations, I don't see him sticking around to "cash in" on a lifetime contract. He will move on and do something else.
    I kinda think he'll go when the fans get truly fed up. His ego won't allow him to stick around when he's hated.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

It could be...but next year could also be pretty special. So much depends on what happens in the next two months.

I'm not a big fan of the lifetime contract thing anyway because this sport is so erratic and so impossible to predict, but particularly in Cal's case where you're seeing a slow degradation of success--I just don't really like it.

But the problem with that whole thing is that you look at the college basketball landscape and you don't really see a worthy successor out there. It isn't like 2009; there isn't a John Calipari who might be available.

I have a friend who kills Cal constantly on Facebook. And we've all heard the "Cal is an awful coach" thing. But the trouble comes in when you start trying to look at somebody who could definitely do it better than Cal has.

There is no question though that if Cal wants to turn back the trend and get Kentucky back to where we were in 2015 then things have to change, at least slightly. Tweaked as it were.
    I think the lifetime contract thing is a situation where the devil is in the details. Cal's contract already had a massive buyout on UK's part and no penalty if he wants to leave, so if it's just a continuation of that then it's not a big deal. I tend to think he's only going to coach 4-5 more years anyway.

But regarding next year, it depends on who returns. You get some of the Hagans/Herro/Johnson group to return then next year could be amazing. I think Hagans returns, but the other two I'm not sure about.

Leave a comment:

• Catatonic
    replied
    If Cal truly started to underperform in real terms, not just our insane expectations, I don't see him sticking around to "cash in" on a lifetime contract. He will move on and do something else.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    I do think Cal needs to switch up something, either convincing guys to stay or shaking up the staff to become the elite recruiters you were a few years ago. Next year could be pretty miserable for the fans, and that lifetime contract will be the subject of a lot of griping.
    It could be...but next year could also be pretty special. So much depends on what happens in the next two months.

I'm not a big fan of the lifetime contract thing anyway because this sport is so erratic and so impossible to predict, but particularly in Cal's case where you're seeing a slow degradation of success--I just don't really like it.

But the problem with that whole thing is that you look at the college basketball landscape and you don't really see a worthy successor out there. It isn't like 2009; there isn't a John Calipari who might be available.

I have a friend who kills Cal constantly on Facebook. And we've all heard the "Cal is an awful coach" thing. But the trouble comes in when you start trying to look at somebody who could definitely do it better than Cal has.

There is no question though that if Cal wants to turn back the trend and get Kentucky back to where we were in 2015 then things have to change, at least slightly. Tweaked as it were.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    I do think Cal needs to switch up something, either convincing guys to stay or shaking up the staff to become the elite recruiters you were a few years ago. Next year could be pretty miserable for the fans, and that lifetime contract will be the subject of a lot of griping.
    I agree but also feel like if Duke would have won it all, the the sky would have felt like it was falling. Coach K had the supposed best player ever in the history of the game per ESPN and the media with other good players around him and still lost, i have to give Cal a pass in many ways. It's just hard to win a title and things have to go perfect, Championships are precious and very hard to win....

Leave a comment:

• KCKUKFan
    replied
    I still dont like Tony Bennett, and I dont want him anywhere near Lexington. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

I agree, i don't think Virginia is a blueprint to build a team, same with NOVA the past few years. If having a true point guard is the key to success, we all know Cal is going to continue to recruit the next big thing and hand him the keys year in and year out. Sometimes we get lucky with Fox or Wall but other times we fall short. What's sad is that i do think Green would have helped us this year when bad Hagans was off but it's also evident that the team started playing better when Quade left, i think it was a locker room distraction early on and it's a shame the situation didn't work itself out with Green staying on board this year....
    Villanova is probably a better model. They did it twice; much more of a pattern. They also didn't need the extraordinary bounces and calls Virginia got.

Plus, Nova had both elite talent that left and elite talent that stuck in the program.

Jalen Brunson has had a very solid rookie year. He was a tremendous college player and when you have a point guard who stays like that, that's how you build a mini-dynasty.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied

I agree, but those guys were transfers and 5th year seniors. That's how Texas Tech built their team.
    Good news is Texas Tech may not ever get there again in the next 40 years, Kentucky year in and year out has the ability and potential to play for it all if the stars align, i will take it...

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    If we had just gone to one more Final Four or had won that title in 2015 none of us would be debating this. Find a program who's won more tournament games, been to more final fours and elite 8s, won more conference titles, etc. over the last decade. Three programs have won multiple titles in that decade, but they've also lost in the early rounds more than we have. I mean, UVA lost to a 16 seed last year.

I'll take consistently winning every year and having a shot versus any other system.
    I agree about the 2015 game, we go 40-0 and win it all the entire conversation is different. I am like you, sucks not to win it all this year because i really liked our team and the kids on it, just a bad game at the wrong time...

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

Not saying you start a 3 star point guard but more recruit and develop a guy, who knows? All i can say is this , the scouts and gurus sure in the hell missed on Texas Tech guards because those guys in that backcourt wasn't nothing special but played a helluva tournament. No doubt it takes a couple of studs on a team but not all 5 have to be 5 star Micky D's...
    I agree, but those guys were transfers and 5th year seniors. That's how Texas Tech built their team.

Leave a comment:

Title Game Thread

Collapse
Working...
X