Kerry Blackshear Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Hate to tell you, but every player in college basketball goes where they think they can become the best player.
    True. The days of wearing a uniform because that's the school you've dreamed of has been gone for a time.

The same is true for football, of course....we just get to know them a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post

True. The days of wearing a uniform because that's the school you've dreamed of has been gone for a time.

The same is true for football, of course....we just get to know them a while longer.
      If we held recruits to the standard of this being where they've always dreamed, we'd rarely get a recruit beyond the state line, most likely. We also wouldn't have had some of the most beloved players in our program's history (Mashburn, Chuck Hayes, Boogie, Wall, Anthony Davis, etc.)

Those players all came from elsewhere because they thought Kentucky was the best place for them and grew to love it.

Comment

To me it's not nearly as important whether or not the player dreamed of playing here.

Far more important that the player loved the program while he was here and did everything in his power to max out his ability.

We've had some who genuinely loved UK, cried real tears after final losses, and played as hard as they could. We've had a few others who were more up in the air on those things.

Some folks see the players leaving as evidence that they somehow didn't care. That they're mercenaries or whatever. I don't see it that way because I don't believe there's anything wrong with saying the NBA is your dream and trying to make that happen. To me that's not a negative statement about the University of Kentucky whatsoever.

That said, it would be nice if Cal were able to get more borderline players back into the program. It's how Carolina and Villanova have won recent titles: getting guys who could have gone pro back. Kentucky hasn't been able to do that very much and it's liable to be the main theme of the Calipari era.

Comment

Also, I think fans calling players "mercenaries" is overly cruel.

To me it's on the same line as drunken fans sitting in the stands shouting epithets at players.

Mercenary is a hellaciously loaded term. It's very easy for us to say it behind the comfort of computers. I'd urge those who throw that term out there to think about what they would do were their own sons NBA-caliber players.

Comment

^ It's been used for literally decades now.

Ron Mercer could probably speak toward that.

I think that the NCAA has helped cultivate this proclivity of roster turnover. I know that there are a lot of transfers annually, but my goodness 600 people have "entered the Portal". 600??? That seems like a whole ton of players and certainly a lot potential moves. And now we have a moniker in The Transfer Portal...such and such has entered the Portal.

It just strikes me as odd.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
              ^ It's been used for literally decades now.

Ron Mercer could probably speak toward that.

I think that the NCAA has helped cultivate this proclivity of roster turnover. I know that there are a lot of transfers annually, but my goodness 600 people have "entered the Portal". 600??? That seems like a whole ton of players and certainly a lot potential moves. And now we have a moniker in The Transfer Portal...such and such has entered the Portal.

It just strikes me as odd.
              We've gone from watching The Door to watching The Portal.

Comment

Sorry for helping derail this one. If Montgomery improves like he ought to this summer, one would think he and Blackshear would make a very nice combo. If Richards can give you anything off of the bench, aside from 5 fouls, we'd be in nice shape.

I'm hoping our forwards rebound well and can provide great defense with their length.

It will be interesting to see what our roster ends up being, but we could be looking a tough team next year.

After that...we might have trouble fielding a team, but luckily there is time to remedy that upcoming issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

We've gone from watching The Door to watching The Portal.
                  Sir, this is genius and I salute you.

Comment

Sorry for helping derail this one. If Montgomery improves like he ought to this summer, one would think he and Blackshear would make a very nice combo.
                    Could be a devastating frontcourt...

...but so much hinges on Blackshear. On one hand he seems like the perfect fit for UK; on the other, we really have no idea if there's interest or not. This is crazy to us, but he might be looking at Nick Richards and not want to try to come in and play over a junior.

Comment

Don't want to sound cruel but if he is afraid of beating Nick Richards out for playing time, he doesn't need to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by justford View Post
                        Don't want to sound cruel but if he is afraid of beating Nick Richards out for playing time, he doesn't need to be here.
                        It might not be that he's afraid, it could be that he just wants to go somewhere where there's nobody--let alone a returning junior--is going to be in front of him.

And of course that's all speculation. I have no idea what their thought process will be.

And also, this is assuming Nick Richards comes back. As we've seen, it's nigh impossible for Kentucky to keep juniors.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

And also, this is assuming Nick Richards comes back. As we've seen, it's nigh impossible for Kentucky to keep juniors.
                          If he leaves and we no longer have a single player left from an 8 recruit haul in 2017, I’m going to start CloseThePortal!.com

And I will join the camp that says Calipari will never win another here. Probably join the no more FF camp too, honestly .

Comment

If he leaves and we no longer have a single player left from an 8 recruit haul in 2017, I’m going to start CloseThePortal!.com

And I will join the camp that says Calipari will never win another here. Probably join the no more FF camp too, honestly .
                            Although if the choice is between Blackshear and Richards then obviously we want Blackshear.

Have no idea if it goes down like that. But if it does then we got a (major) upgrade.

I don't get on the "He'll never win another title" because crazy crap happens in this sport. You might have a flawed team that just got the monumental witchcrafty luck Virginia just did. Who knows.

Safe to say though without some pretty substantial good luck from now until the end of summer, Kentucky isn't winning any title in '19-'20.

Comment

^ But the thing is that our staff would have done a very poor job in recruiting Blackshear. There’s plenty of room for him to be the starter with a 7 footer waiting to give him some rest/insurance on foul trouble.

Regardless...Richards HAS to improve some this year. Surely to Goodness he learned some things last year playing against Travis and Washington

Comment

^ But the thing is that our staff would have done a very poor job in recruiting Blackshear. There’s plenty of room for him to be the starter with a 7 footer waiting to give him some rest/insurance on foul trouble.
                                But we could never know that for sure.

In fact we obviously have no idea how any of this stuff goes behind the scenes. I think there've been players Cal has really wanted to keep but their families wanted them to go elsewhere. I only say that because you can kind of read into the words Cal uses or the expression on his face or whatever. But I can't know for sure.

It could be that they do try to recruit Richards to stay but his family just doesn't want him to sit behind a 5th-year senior. I hope it doesn't go like that but I get it if it does.

And honestly, that sort of thing is happening everywhere in the sport. Part of what we're talking about is the one-and-done stuff creating this massive wheel o' defection; but the other part is that transferring has reached almost epidemic proportions in college basketball as a whole.

Comment

Kerry Blackshear Jr.

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X