The Way Kentucky is Building Teams Now is Absurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

We only get to see Cal's reactions about things in scripted media hits and in a few characters on Twitter, so we'd honestly never know how Cal felt.

I doubt he's surprised, because obviously they know much more than we do about which players are liable to go pro. But he's also a guy who just a couple of years ago was speaking out against grad transfers; now he's relying on them. I can't believe he's okay with the way this has gone.
    But he spoke out against taking them from non-power 5 conferences I believe (we still did that with Julius Mays though).

Even with Sestina, he only took him because of a weird rule at Bucknell and the conference it plays in, and it wasn't without the blessing of Bucknell's coach.
    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

But he spoke out against taking them from non-power 5 conferences I believe (we still did that with Julius Mays though).

Even with Sestina, he only took him because of a weird rule at Bucknell and the conference it plays in, and it wasn't without the blessing of Bucknell's coach.
      Still, you can't convince me that Cal wants it to be this way. This is the embodiment of desperation.

In Cal's defense, nobody in college basketball has been victimized by his own success like Cal. The cry from fans for years was to find players who weren't five-star phenoms. Well, he's been doing that...and they still are projected first-round picks.

That's tough to overcome. The only way you defend against it is if you start aggressively trying to talk non-lottery picks from jumping early, and as we all know Cal isn't going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

The only way you defend against it is if you start aggressively trying to talk non-lottery picks from jumping early, and as we all know Cal isn't going to do that.

And that is the problem more than anything in my opinion, Cal brings this "patch job" year in and year out on himself. I know he makes the remarks that "he would love to have all his players back" but he is either A. Lying to tell people what they want to hear or B. Not doing a great job of re selling them to come back, obviously!!

The X factor in all of this because kids are kids and they are all competitive, " If he can go pro then why can't i go pro?" They say Nick Richards was one of the hardest workers in practice, worked as hard as anyone. I would be willing to bet in practice Nick had some good stretches and dominated yet it never came to light on the court when it counts. I don't think these players see other players as Gods or untouchable. If you are practicing day to day with a lottery pick and have success against them in practice, why wouldn't you think you was also good enough to play at the next level? Would that make you think that with hard work that you could tighten up a few areas and be a pro too?

To expand on that a little from my own experience. There is a kid (now a early 30's man) who i watched him grow as a golfer since he was a young kid, his father was my mentor me so i have been around this person my whole life. Fast foward this young man went on to play golf at EKU before he turned pro, he tore up the Hooter's tour as the top player for a few years and qualified to play in the U.S OPEN, won the Kentucky Open a few times and played a few PGA tour events before something happend to his eyesight. I played golf with this person many many times and he hits a ton off the tee but he only hits it about 20-25 yards than i do, not much at all. Everytime i have ever played with him i have never looked at him as a God, I am a competitor, i want to beat him, i can do many of the things he can do but i can't do it everyday on a fulltime basis, just can't leave a career and go all in, the risk was always greater than the reward for me. For some of our players perhaps losing out on a college degree for a chance to player professional basketball is a risk worth taking, the young men on our teams are competitors, if he can do it i can do it too....

Last edited by J.Jennings; 04-25-2019, 12:40 PM.
        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Hope is not a plan. There as been a drop of in recruiting since Antigua left. Cal has’nt gotten a top 5 guy I about 3 years. Kids come to UK expecting and EXPECTED to leave in a year, all of them. Everyone seems shocked at the end of the year when they do exactly that. At UK you are perceived a disappointment if you don’t goin a year and a failure if you aren’t gone in two , that’s why everyone transfers out. Cal did create the current culture atUK and I just hate it. Instead of Wildcats we should call ourselves the MERCENARIES

Comment

Catch 22- on one hand I like the potential skill level/elite one-and-dones provide, but the trade off is if they don't prove themselves to be NBA caliber in a year or two, they feel the pressure to leave UK like most of you said because there is a stigma "If you play more than 2 years something must be wrong with the player". So rather than stay and continue to get better some will take the route to leave (even if they get feedback not draft worthy) to go G-league route or overseas. We need to change the stereotype of our school because come 2022/23 the college landscape for all blue blood programs is going to look way different.

Comment

The Way Kentucky is Building Teams Now is Absurd

Collapse
            Working...
            X