Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

Reid Travis's Father Criticizes UK for "Uncertainty" Surrounding Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid Travis's Father Criticizes UK for "Uncertainty" Surrounding Son

Interesting article here and it speaks to how difficult it is for older guys to stick out to NBA teams in UK's system.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...230372364.html

With all due respect to Reid, if he was that good he wouldn't have been here in the first place. Travis is more of a old school bruiser type not the new age long and lean athlete with long arms who can shoot and dribble the basketball at the 4 and 5 spot, he also doesn't have elite hops. I think he could still be a good role player on the right team and evolve his game with shooting but who would you draft, a 19 year old with upside or a 22/23 year old?
    I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Reid turned.into option three at UK. PJ, Herro....even Hagans....then Reid. He was asked to do different things at Kentucky. It unfortunately seems the family is a bit disappointed....but truth be told it does show the difference between Kentucky basketball/SEC and what is now Pac 10/12 basketball and Stanford.
      there were quite a few Kentucky fans that thought he would be SEC player of the year caliber. What he was was a very valuable integral part of the team....and likely first of the year he was the difference between five or six wins that could have been losses.
      As Will has pointed out, Reid's game isn't what most NBA teams look for in a power forward these days.
      Years ago, he may have been a Boston, Detroit.....maybe the old Trailblazers type player.
      In today's game I'm not real sure what team could use his skill package.
      ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
        With all due respect to Reid, if he was that good he wouldn't have been here in the first place.
        Well, I think he was good. Just a different kind of good.

All college teams need a guy like that. You have to have somebody who can chase down tough rebounds. It's an essential part of the game. One of the most essential.

But Travis wasn't an elite offensive player for many reasons. Can't jump. Not great length. Doesn't have a super outside game, though he hit some shots for us. In the NBA these days you better be able to face up and play outside-in. Travis isn't that kind of player.

I loved him as a role player here however and wish he hadn't have gotten hurt.

Comment

I agree with the total summary. Reid's game has some holes for today's game....throw in if a GM wants a projection do you go from a 19 year old to a 23 year old....and then add in an injury that really took him out a long time.....even keeping him from responding to two pro invitation tryouts.

Now, that's not to say he won't make it. Like CJ Conrad in football, he will have to do it the hard way.
          Let's face it.....if Randolf Morris can be a national treasure playing ball in China, Reid Travis can surely make a good living somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
            Interesting article here and it speaks to how difficult it is for older guys to stick out to NBA teams in UK's system.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...230372364.html
            Guy sounds like he thought Reid should have been able to do his thing outside of the team concept. This was Reid's opportunity to play in the biggest spotlight and showcase that he was an NBA player. If he didn't that means he might not be and has nothing to do with KY. If he could hit three's he would have been allowed to take them. (like PJ did)
            Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Guy sounds like he thought Reid should have been able to do his thing outside of the team concept. This was Reid's opportunity to play in the biggest spotlight and showcase that he was an NBA player. If he didn't that means he might not be and has nothing to do with KY. If he could hit three's he would have been allowed to take them. (like PJ did)
              That's how I read it as well. Almost came off as if he was complaining about Reid having to be a leader. Also don't care for Jerry Tipton's headline.
              When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

I'm with Spirit and Dwight. Reid got his minutes and had his chance. I'm glad he came here and appreciate what he brought. But being in Cal's system doesn't automatically make you a lottery pick. It just means you don't stick around long.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

That's how I read it as well. Almost came off as if he was complaining about Reid having to be a leader. Also don't care for Jerry Tipton's headline.
                  Tipton would crawl five miles over broken beer bottles to interview a disgruntled fan who had no connection to UK BB other than watching on TV. To get a parent to go critical on record has to be a supernatural high for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

He used a direct quote from Reid's father. I don't see the problem in that.
                    Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

So Dad is blaming Cal and UK because his son is not an elite player who can score off the dribble, jump very high, shoot from outside and guard a 3. This is almost laughable.
                      John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                        So Dad is blaming Cal and UK because his son is not an elite player who can score off the dribble, jump very high, shoot from outside and guard a 3. This is almost laughable.
                        I agree. You can't make lemonade without lemons.

Comment

Tipton would like nothing more than UK fans go on a Twitter rampage against the parent of a former player.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

He used a direct quote from Reid's father. I don't see the problem in that.
                            No he didn't.

"Playing for UK was supposed to bring ‘certainty’ to Travis’ draft stock, but it hasn’t"

The headline there is clearly meant to add controversy to the UK program when it's nothing more than a dad seeming upset his son wasn't used like he wanted.
                            When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

To play devil's advocate, I'm sure the Travises were given certain promises about what coming to UK would do for Reid.

They may've been leaning toward UK anyway. But you know when the UK staff got in their living room, there was a pitch about the NBA. When Cal says he makes no promises, never believe that. The promise at UK is about the NBA and there's all kind of evidence over the last decade to suggest that's true.

If it is true in Reid Travis's case, then that means the coaching staff probably had a certain blueprint for him about what should happen after his one year at UK was over. And obviously whatever payoff he expected isn't going to happen.

You can't totally fault UK in that simply because Travis is not built like a prototypical NBA player. But I also can see the father's consternation in some ways. It's the same consternation that leads to guys bailing out of the program after one year or two at the most.

When you build your program around solely getting guys to the pros, this is the kind of fallout that happens.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Reid Travis's Father Criticizes UK for "Uncertainty" Surrounding Son

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X