Reid Travis's Father Criticizes UK for "Uncertainty" Surrounding Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Well, I think he was good. Just a different kind of good.

All college teams need a guy like that. You have to have somebody who can chase down tough rebounds. It's an essential part of the game. One of the most essential.

But Travis wasn't an elite offensive player for many reasons. Can't jump. Not great length. Doesn't have a super outside game, though he hit some shots for us. In the NBA these days you better be able to face up and play outside-in. Travis isn't that kind of player.

I loved him as a role player here however and wish he hadn't have gotten hurt.
    I agree and i am glad he came to Kentucky, solid college player. Still can't understand why his father thinks Cal and Kentucky could fix flaws(athletcism) that can't be fixed...
    I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
      So Dad is blaming Cal and UK because his son is not an elite player who can score off the dribble, jump very high, shoot from outside and guard a 3. This is almost laughable.
      Pretty much how i read it. I get the feeling Dad was thinking Reid's payday was his payday and now that's all messed up
      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

No he didn't.

"Playing for UK was supposed to bring ‘certainty’ to Travis’ draft stock, but it hasn’t"

The headline there is clearly meant to add controversy to the UK program when it's nothing more than a dad seeming upset his son wasn't used like he wanted.
        Here's what dad said, it seems almost word for word like the title of the article, to me.

“There’s still some uncertainty,” Nate Travis said Monday of his son’s draft status. “We felt if he played at Kentucky, he’d have some certainty coming off the season. As a father, I’m a little concerned with that. I thought he’d have a little more of an understanding of when he’d fall in the draft.”
        Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

Here's what dad said, it seems almost word for word like the title of the article, to me.

“There’s still some uncertainty,” Nate Travis said Monday of his son’s draft status. “We felt if he played at Kentucky, he’d have some certainty coming off the season. As a father, I’m a little concerned with that. I thought he’d have a little more of an understanding of when he’d fall in the draft.”
          Yes, and that's the problem. Newspaper headlines conveying a news story are supposed to be free of slant and objective. The headline is a one-sided slant meaning to criticize UK. It's an op-ed headline accompanying a news story.

When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Did UK just make up these combine #'s??? He can definitely jump, but not in the context of some basketball plays IMO. Tied for 2nd highest vert on the team....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_131224.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	205894

​​​​​​​

Comment

^ Yeah, I think folks are talking comparatively when they bring up the "can't jump" thing.

Travis is a weird athlete. He showed some explosiveness but seemed to take awhile to get off the ground. Certainly didn't have that really twitchy, quick-jump ability you saw from similar players to him who did make it in the NBA. Julius Randle being one. Randle could stand flat flooted and just explode upward. Travis was more of a battering ram type of player.

More than that his skillset hurts him. The NBA seems completely designed these days to get lay-ups/dunks or corner threes. Travis plays a sort of deliberate, old-school game where he's always trying to sort of work himself body to body with other players so he can bully them. Not exactly what these franchises are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post
                Did UK just make up these combine #'s??? He can definitely jump, but not in the context of some basketball plays IMO. Tied for 2nd highest vert on the team....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190515_131224.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	205894

​​​​​​​
                He just moved into the mid first round...

Comment

Here's my take on the "can't jump" issue. On offense, he had problems with shooting over tall athletic big's. But rebounding on either end, he seemed to jump much better. I hope he makes it in the NBA, and I'm glad he came to UK.
                  John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Yes, and that's the problem. Newspaper headlines conveying a news story are supposed to be free of slant and objective. The headline is a one-sided slant meaning to criticize UK. It's an op-ed headline accompanying a news story.
                    But this isn't a typical news story where the headline can read 100 year old building destroyed by fire or 50 vehicle pileup on I-75. This is a story about a man and his son. I just don't see how it could have been headlined any other way. How would you have made the headline read?
                    Life Comes At You Fast

Comment

But this isn't a typical news story where the headline can read 100 year old building destroyed by fire or 50 vehicle pileup on I-75. This is a story about a man and his son. I just don't see how it could have been headlined any other way. How would you have made the headline read?
                      My problem is the headline is stating as fact something that isn't and implies UK failed to live up to a promise.

The headline should have stated something like "Father of former UK Grad Transfer 'concerned' by son's lack of stability in NBA future." It's typical Tipton muckraking to drag UK through the mud.
                      When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

At the end of the day, it is up to Reid Travis to show he can and belongs in the NBA, not Cal or Kentucky period!! If he wants it bad enough and works hard, some team will at least give him a look and it's up to him from there.

Comment

The only odd thing about the article is that Tipton writes it as we're hunting for another grad transfer.

The media shouldn't be in the program's pocket. They have to be able to write tough stories if they get wind that there's a tough story out there. Jerry Tipton isn't a homer obviously and he shouldn't be.

BUT many UK fans have questioned why Tipton does the things he does. This goes back to the Kelenna Azubuike situation. It wasn't like he was writing pieces there to somehow sound the alarm about shenanigans inside UK basketball. It all seemed so unnecessary at best, and cruel at worst. Then up through Rajon Rondo being photographed with his breakfast one morning as Tipton wrote about his vehicle, and Patrick Patterson's parents having to step in and basically shout Tipton down (again about a vehicle Patterson was driving)...I've always been baffled at his choices of material.

The timing of this piece isn't great for UK. A conspiratorial-minded person might say Jerry Tipton had that in mind.

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind objectivity and reporting bad news when it's warranted. If there are shenanigans going on then by all means, bring them to light. But Tipton's angle is that he's a muckraker.

If you watched the show Veep, Tipton seems to have the same adversarial bent that a character named Leon West had.

Comment

Travis was given every opportunity to shine while at UK don’t see the fathers beef frankly. Any kid with NBA ability can thrive at UK and many have. If Reid lacks NBA skills he certainly can’t blame UK or Cal for these deficiencies. I can” develop” a mule toward the goal of being a race horse all I want but at the end of the day he is still gonna be a mule

Comment

Reid Travis's Father Criticizes UK for "Uncertainty" Surrounding Son

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X