SEC to Allow Alcohol Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
    I disagree with the decision, but I am sympathetic to the logistical challenge of it. In the past, concession stands have been staffed by volunteers doing a fundraiser (I confess that i do not know if that is still the case). Selling alcohol requires some training - you need to be versed in spotting fake IDs and recognizing an intoxicated individual and avoiding overserving them. When I worked in a store that sold wine, I had to go to 2 hour training and pass a test in how to spot this stuff and get certified. I don't think Mitch discussed any of this so I have no idea if this is still the case. The ROI on this for an 8 game home season is probably not very high.
    Slugger Field in Louisville has certain concession stands staffed with volunteers doing fundraising. The way they handle it is they have designated staff serving and selling the beer in those concessions.
    I think UofL does the same at Cardinal Stadium, but I'm not sure.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

• I think it's silly to not capitalize off of alcohol sales, but ultimately I have no issue with Mitch taking the "no" stance based on his principles.

What I do have a problem with is allowing big-money boosters to buy alcohol. Hypocritical and typical of Barnhart's constant pandering to those particular fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post

Yep, me too. I like Mitch but the disaster he has created at Kroger field the past few seasons has ruined UK football games (in-person) for me. I have NO plans to attend a game anytime in the near future.
        Like Will and others, I've found that the experience at Commonwea... err, Kroger... has been upgraded substantially over the past few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by 40bill View Post
          Likely wants to see what happens at other universities and see what type of ROI it would bring in.
          Certainly there is plenty of statistical evidence of this already, since the SEC is woefully behind on alcohol sales in comparison to the rest of the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by surveyor View Post

Slugger Field in Louisville has certain concession stands staffed with volunteers doing fundraising. The way they handle it is they have designated staff serving and selling the beer in those concessions.
            I think UofL does the same at Cardinal Stadium, but I'm not sure.
            Yeah, it's obviously not an insurmountable obstacle. I just see the logistical issues. I agree that it's likely Mitch's personal feelings driving the decision. I'm sure he'd remove it from the suites if he thought he could get away with it.
            When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

Certainly there is plenty of statistical evidence of this already, since the SEC is woefully behind on alcohol sales in comparison to the rest of the country.
              West Virginia reported revenue of $3 million from 2011 to 2016 from alcohol sales - about $600k per year.
              I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

West Virginia reported revenue of $3 million from 2011 to 2016 from alcohol sales - about $600k per year.
                Exactly. Mitch Barnhart is essentially throwing away free money.

Comment

I disagree with Mitch on this. The irritating component is that it smacks of elitism. Alcohol sales in suites and the club area are fine, but we cain't have the masses havin' they experience rurn't by the drunken peasants.

He indicated that his emails were essentially from people who expressed they'd be less likely to come to games or maintain season tickets if alcohol sales were allowed.

Mitch is also full of ............ when he says the decision is not a money issue. Granted, the revenue from alcohol sales for schools isn't a large amount, but I guarantee it would become a money issue if he told the suite holders that alcohol sales there would be discontinued.

West Virginia reported fewer alcohol-related incidents at games after allowing alcohol sales in 2011. Evidence suggests it cuts down on binge drinking prior to entering the stadium.
                  This!

I agree that I think it would likely cut down on the total number of incidents as there would be less emphasis on the need to over consume pregame to "get through the game" and I doubt over consumption would be easy buying it in the stadium.

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                  I disagree with the decision, but I am sympathetic to the logistical challenge of it. In the past, concession stands have been staffed by volunteers doing a fundraiser (I confess that i do not know if that is still the case). Selling alcohol requires some training - you need to be versed in spotting fake IDs and recognizing an intoxicated individual and avoiding overserving them. When I worked in a store that sold wine, I had to go to 2 hour training and pass a test in how to spot this stuff and get certified. I don't think Mitch discussed any of this so I have no idea if this is still the case. The ROI on this for an 8 game home season is probably not very high.

UK still does concessions with about a third to half-volunteers. (who are always terrible despite the best of intentions) Alcohol would likely only be available at the stands with paid staff. (which I have heard some say they have a hard time hiring enough of)

I would also say that this isn't all up to Mitch. There is the President, several VPs, Provost, Legal counsel, Risk Management office, and UKPD who have a dog in the fight.

As far as I'm concerned UK upper admin gives WAY too much deference to what UKPD wants or thinks. (even when that's nonsense) I would bet substantial money that Police Chief Monroe is against alcohol sales...
                  Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

UK still does concessions with about a third to half-volunteers. (who are always terrible despite the best of intentions) Alcohol would likely only be available at the stands with paid staff. (which I have heard some say they have a hard time hiring enough of)
                    I believe this. Especially in the economy we're in, people who want to work a Saturday night game for $9/hr for 6 hours at most is probably tough to come by when you could bartend or wait tables and make a lot more money.

I would also say that this isn't all up to Mitch. There is the President, several VPs, Provost, Legal counsel, Risk Management office, and UKPD who have a dog in the fight.

As far as I'm concerned UK upper admin gives WAY too much deference to what UKPD wants or thinks. (even when that's nonsense) I would bet substantial money that Police Chief Monroe is against alcohol sales...
                    Mitch claimed the decision was his, but he may've given a lot of weight and deference to the other parties you mentioned. I did always get the impression that UKPD holds itself in high esteem. I got an earful from an officer in college when I worked in the Geology Library and referred to them as campus security. I always thought it was BS that they could patrol speeders on Limestone.

When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                      Mitch claimed the decision was his, but he may've given a lot of weight and deference to the other parties you mentioned. I did always get the impression that UKPD holds itself in high esteem. I got an earful from an officer in college when I worked in the Geology Library and referred to them as campus security. I always thought it was BS that they could patrol speeders on Limestone.
                      I think it is true that if he really wanted alcohol sales, we would have it. At the same time, all of the groups I mentioned have a voice/influence on that decision.

Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

• Just from the few posters that have responded on here and other sites, it seems this was a no win decision on Barnharts part.
                        truth is I don't see that a lot of ticket holders will care one way or the other in the long run.
                        He could have said he flipped a coin and this was the result.
                        like has been said....won't stop drinking. Just not selling.
                        I imagine it happens sooner or later. Just not this fall at Kroger.

Comment

• and just to throw a couple of more sticks on the burnpile:

In his season opening speech, Coach Stoops was asked about alcohol sale in the stands. Of course, he deferred to the school president and athletic director. He did mention that when the topic came up he remembered the funeral that he and the team attended last year. (Before anyone takes offense, I realize the young man involved was not at the game. The child was struck after leaving the game.) Whether the 'optics' of that incident were figured into THIS year's decision, I have no clue.

I would also wonder if the UK powers that be looked at the atmosphere at Cardinal (Papa John's, whatever it's called} Stadium. I have not read that the beer sales increased the 'fun family atmosphere' that UK seems to be shooting for at Louisville.

I could well be mistaken. I agree with Spirit that this seems to be the direction college teams are going, and I doubt UK continues to not participate in the future.

Comment

• I think the price would keep a lot of folks from “over indulging”. Would me

Comment

• Looks like Missouri will allow it.

Comment

• Vanderbilt and Tennessee have approved sales in the past couple of days. I think it's ridiculous that Kentucky isn't allowing it. Folks will be drinking before, during (yes, they're still able to get plenty of bottles of spirits in past security) and after the games. They won't be stopping drinking, just selling. I have extreme trouble that they allow alcohol in the suite levels, but not for the average fan. No need for a double standard.

And the excuse they want to keep it family friendly is weak. Many other sports and colleges allow it and there are limited problems with only a few people. If it really was about family they would have ticket and concession prices at a level that a family could actual afford to attend. Of course that can't happen given the costs associated with supporting elite levels of competition that we all want.

And this post isn't for me. I won't be partaking during a game given I have to drive a long distance after the game. I simply believe that if folks who want to safely participate they should be allowed to.

Comment

SEC to Allow Alcohol Sales

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X