Hagans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagans

This is a small thing but worth mentioning.

Ashton Hagans told the media yesterday that John Calipari talked him into coming back to UK. Cal said he wasn't ready and Hagans agreed.

Hagans went on to say that not everybody listened when Cal gave this advice. It's long been thought that Cal doesn't try to convince some kids to come back, but I've never believed that's true. I think he tells the media he stays out of the way, but I've always felt that's a fib. He's probably trying to talk many of them back, but then when the family comes in Cal likely has no choice to step out of the way.

Now the obvious ones--from PJ Washington to guys like Davis, Cousins, Wall, etc.--you're not going to talk back. But I'd say there are a bunch of players that Cal has tried to get back to Kentucky. It just hasn't worked, probably because the staff's original recruiting pitch when they're in high school is: Come to UK and you'll get to the NBA after one season.

He has said that he gives him his advice and what he's been told by NBA folks, which has included suggesting they come back to improve stock, but no matter what they decide he backs them 100% and helps them as much as possible through the process. So it's not that he hasn't advised some to return, it's just that once they make their decision he fully supports them.

​​​​​​In a recent press conference, he specifically said that there have been some that he advised to come back, but still left.

Comment

I wonder who didn't listen this year that Herro is referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
        I wonder who didn't listen this year that Herro is referring to?
        With Keldon slipping and given his maturity level, inconsistency and inability to finish plays, I would say him.

Comment

Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

With Keldon slipping and given his maturity level, inconsistency and inability to finish plays, I would say him.
          Kinda my thought too. I think Keldon could've been all world next year.

Comment

I think Cal has this said about him a lot because of his documentary where he went into detail about not letting Dujuan Wagner come back to memphis, and telling him that he wasnt going to offer him a scholarship if he did. Obviously Wagner had a situation to where as much as Cal would've loved to have him back, he knew what was best for him and his family. Some people took that as Cal is always pushing players to the league and I have never thought that was the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              This is a small thing but worth mentioning.

Ashton Hagans told the media yesterday that John Calipari talked him into coming back to UK. Cal said he wasn't ready and Hagans agreed.

Hagans went on to say that not everybody listened when Cal gave this advice. It's long been thought that Cal doesn't try to convince some kids to come back, but I've never believed that's true. I think he tells the media he stays out of the way, but I've always felt that's a fib. He's probably trying to talk many of them back, but then when the family comes in Cal likely has no choice to step out of the way.

Now the obvious ones--from PJ Washington to guys like Davis, Cousins, Wall, etc.--you're not going to talk back. But I'd say there are a bunch of players that Cal has tried to get back to Kentucky. It just hasn't worked, probably because the staff's original recruiting pitch when they're in high school is: Come to UK and you'll get to the NBA after one season.
              Good to hear that Cal is still working for UK and the fanbase . It's a tough job for Cal especially with all the outside influences and the bar that has been set at UK for one and done's, glad Hagans made a smart decision to come back....
              I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Hagans

Collapse
              Working...
              X