Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California to ok pay for college players

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California to ok pay for college players

    If this is approved, this would force the ncaa to ok it for all universities or ban the ones that do.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...eurism-reform/

  • #2
    I would LOVE to see California call the NCAA's bluff on this.
    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

    Comment


    • #3
      NCAA is full of it! Players should be able to make money off their name, image and likeness.

      Comment


      • #4
        For once CA is getting something right. There's no reason players can't make money like this. If Hagans decides to go sit at the mall and sign autographs for $20 he isn't a professional athlete. The same if Maxey gets paid to be on a billboard for a used car lot. Let the kids make money on their own time. It might be a stretch, but if they did you might not see as many jump to professional ball too early.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post
          For once CA is getting something right. There's no reason players can't make money like this. If Hagans decides to go sit at the mall and sign autographs for $20 he isn't a professional athlete. The same if Maxey gets paid to be on a billboard for a used car lot. Let the kids make money on their own time. It might be a stretch, but if they did you might not see as many jump to professional ball too early.
          Maybe, but they won't make much money signing autographs because between practice and school there won't be much free time.

          John 3:3

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

            Maybe, but they won't make much money signing autographs because between practice and school there won't be much free time.
            Must be why I always saw players at the Fayette Mall every weekend when I was in school.
            When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

              Must be why I always saw players at the Fayette Mall every weekend when I was in school.
              I'm sure players have free time, but unlike other students, that time is limited because of what I mentioned. Not much time to make much money and certainly not enough money to change their minds about the NBA.
              John 3:3

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

                I'm sure players have free time, but unlike other students, that time is limited because of what I mentioned. Not much time to make much money and certainly not enough money to change their minds about the NBA.
                It wouldn't change DeMarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis' mind, but it might've changed some of these kids who made poor decisions to leave (you know who I'm talking about).

                They have plenty of free time - these guys aren't machines. They do fun stuff too, particularly in the 8 months of the year they aren't playing in a basketball season.
                When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                  It wouldn't change DeMarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis' mind, but it might've changed some of these kids who made poor decisions to leave (you know who I'm talking about).

                  They have plenty of free time - these guys aren't machines. They do fun stuff too, particularly in the 8 months of the year they aren't playing in a basketball season.
                  I need to bring my thinking up to date. When I was at Western, players went home in the off season, found a job and always came back to school earlier than other students. Now they stay on campus nearly year around.
                  John 3:3

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

                    I need to bring my thinking up to date. When I was at Western, players went home in the off season, found a job and always came back to school earlier than other students. Now they stay on campus nearly year around.
                    It sounds like these guys that aren't from nearby are basically at home 4 weeks a year while they're in school. School lets out in May, and they start arriving back in early June, I think.

                    To make matters worse, the NCAA only allows players to work normal jobs in the summer months (unless this has changed).

                    People like to say that a free education is a good enough paycheck, but there's the real situation that a lot of these kids can't afford to be there and can't do anything (within the rules) to remedy that situation except for a couple months out of the year.
                    When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am ALL for the student athletes getting some sort of payment. Considering how much money the school and NCAA makes on the backs of these students, it's the least they could do. Not all athletes have a pro career after college. A VERY small percentage of them go onto the pros.
                      Isaiah 5:20

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                        It wouldn't change DeMarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis' mind, but it might've changed some of these kids who made poor decisions to leave (you know who I'm talking about).

                        They have plenty of free time - these guys aren't machines. They do fun stuff too, particularly in the 8 months of the year they aren't playing in a basketball season.
                        Of course it wouldn't with the lottery picks. I was thinking more of the Wenyen Gabriel types or those who leave early with the sole purpose of providing for their families. I guarantee one of our players could make a few thousand dollars a month signing autographs at the mall for $20. If they can do that then suddenly the decision of leaving now and probably ending up overseas or staying in school another year or two and turning into a first founder becomes a tougher decision.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

                          Maybe, but they won't make much money signing autographs because between practice and school there won't be much free time.
                          I guarantee the players have enough time to go sit at the mall for a few hours on the weekend. Also, I remember Darius Miller being on a picture for a car lot and there was some question as to if he got paid for it. There is no reason these kids can't go take their picture with a used car dealer who slaps them a check for a few grand to stick it on a billboard.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            After watching the overall quality of play and the officiating of PAC 12 teams the NCAA would be well off to let them go on their merry way.
                            didn't California attempt to pass a law forbidding college teams from playing east of the Mississippi for political reasons?
                            Gorgeous state.....odd folks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                              I would LOVE to see California call the NCAA's bluff on this.
                              The ONLY reason CA is proposing this is so they can tax the #$%$ out of their income LOL.

                              Comment

                              California to ok pay for college players

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X